View Full Version : New to Pocket PCs: 1940 or 2210?

NBKC
10-30-2003, 09:48 PM
Hi there, I've got a couple of questions considering the two low-end models from HP - the H1940 and the H2210.

1) Performance. I saw a benchmark stating that the H1940 is faster in the real world (video performance) although the H2210 beats it in pure processor speed. How true is this? I assume the difference is not notable anyway?

2) Display quality. I've also read that the display in the H1940 has better colours but also an annoying yellowish tint on white backgrounds. Is the tint present with all the H1940s? Is there any variation between individual devices?

3) How necessary is a Compact Flash slot? What I've seen is that CF memory cards are cheaper but are there other advantages? The transfer rate perhaps? Any difference between CF and SD when it comes to watching movies from a memory card for example?

The H1940 feels very attractive with its slim design but I prefer the H2210 when it comes to overall appearance. Is there a picture of someone holding the H2210 so I could get a better idea on how bulky it really is?

Thanks!

Godsongz
10-30-2003, 10:10 PM
1. Performance difference between the two has to be measured with benchmark software, because a real-world user probably couldn't tell the difference otherwise.

2. The tint appears to be on all 1940s. I remember a thread somewhere about tweaking the rgb values for the color white and it helps with the tint. Search around and you'll probably find it. I love the 2215s screen.

3. CF memory is typically cheaper and faster than SD. Having both slots is nice though when you want extra memory in one and a device in the other (GPS, barcode scanner, whatever)

4. (well, you didn't have a 4, but you did mention bulk) There are a lot of adjectives I can use to describe the 22xx, but "bulk" would not be one of them. It is very comfortable to hold.

5. (ok, now I'm just gettin' silly with the numbers) There is a cosmetic issue with the 22xx involving the side grips. The rubber used by HP is wonderful to hold, but it tends to "grow" over time and the grips seem to need replacing after 3-4 months. The replacements are free under warranty, but it is an annoyance.

6. (gonna stop now, really) The 22xx also has consumer level IR which most people seem to forget when comparing it to other PDAs, and its a feature I've found really handy.

NBKC
10-30-2003, 10:56 PM
Ooo, a fast reply thank you very much.
Now let me take this a bit further...

http://www.pdagold.com/articles/detail.asp?a=100
This is the benchmark I was referring to, though I should have spoken of a complete performance test benchmark not real-world rating.

Here's the new question considering the H22xx.
53) Let's say I play one of those brilliant games from Lucas Arts with ScummVM Pocket PC version. How does the in-game music sound considering the fact that the speaker is located on the back side of the device?

Edit: I happened to come across a video showing the H22xx running SNES (in comparison to the Asus Mypal A620 at http://pocketmatrix.com/reviews/a620/index2.php) and I have to say I'm not overly impressed. Now if only there were benchmarks of H4150 somewhere...

JustinGTP
10-31-2003, 02:49 AM
The sound from the 2215 are excellent! I have one and I love it.

Only the 1900 series is the low end model, the 2215 is not low end at its price!

-Justin.

belfast-biker
10-31-2003, 04:45 PM
The H1940 feels very attractive with its slim design but I prefer the H2210 when it comes to overall appearance. Is there a picture of someone holding the H2210 so I could get a better idea on how bulky it really is?

The size of the 1940 is lovely. The 2210 less so. My friend bought a 2210 a week ago, same time as Igot my 1940. She now wants to send the 2210 back, hates the thickness, and the rubber grips, and the stylus for that matter.

BUT, the 1940 is far to slidey to hold, so a flipper case is a must.

Abras
10-31-2003, 10:02 PM
I was with the same question last weak.

Now I have then both. Just to see what I will prefer.

I'm selling the 2215.

For me the 1945 is much better, the processor you can't tell the speed difference, the image (especially in colors) is SO MUCH better in the 1945, and I can say that because I puted the same theme on then next to another, the 1945 have a HUGE difference in the screen definition and color.

The size of the 1945 is great, when I put then in my pocket, you can fell the difference, 2215 is too big. In photos, you can't tell the difference, but when you compare on next to another, the difference is big. And 1945 is much lighter than 2215.

I used then both for 1 week, 1945 is much better in my opnion.

Sorry about the bad english, I'm not american.

Thinkingmandavid
11-01-2003, 02:42 AM
Wow, it is a tough question....the 1945 is such a nice size and it comes with bt which for me could really be handy. it will fit nicely on your hip in a case, or in a laptop bag that has a pocket for ppcs. It has the SDIO 8)
which is great for memory and a sd scandisck wi fi card :wink:

They are both small ppc but it is hard to know which one you will prefer. Can you go by a store and try both of them out and see how they feel in your hand? I always say it is best to see which one you enjoy in your hand because which one feels the best and feels like a part of you is the one you should be :)

the bench marks show the differences, but I think those differences are just for you to know about, but when you actually use your ipaq to you it may not even be noticeable. This takes me back to what I said, go to the star and try it out and see how it feels :)

Mark_Venture
11-01-2003, 03:46 AM
Hi there, I've got a couple of questions considering the two low-end models from HP - the H1940 and the H2210.

1) I can't comment...

2) Display quality. I think my iPAQ 2215 is very nice.

3) To me, CF is necessary... Having both SD and CF is very nice. While CF memory is cheaper, I choose to use the CF slot for Wi-Fi card and the memory from my Digital Camera (Nikon Coolpix 4300), and leave the SD slot for memory. I leave the SD memory card in the iPAQ at all times so I've install all my programs to it. This helps keep the built in RAM free for the running apps.

Consider this...

I got the 2215 with a 256 Meg SD memory card. When I got Wi-FI, choices for CF cards were wide open, but there were no SDIO wi-fi cards yet, hence my CF for wi-fi and SD for memory choice. And on the plus side I can view the pictures taken on my digital camera in the iPAQ.

Now, a guy I work with, he got a 1945. He was considering getting a charge/sync cradle. Unlink the 2215, its not included with the 1945, so he would have to buy that extra. And now he is thinking about wi-fi. His options for SDIO Wi-Fi are rather slim (Socket and SanDisk are the only ones I know for SDIO Wi-Fi), and he won't be able to do both Wi-Fi and extra memory at the same time, until SD Wi-Fi cards have memory built in.

For my needs, the dual slots out weighs the 1945 being slightly smaller. And using the two, I don't see any real speed difference.

Just my $.02 :)

Palmguy
11-01-2003, 04:06 PM
If you do need Wifi on a consistent basis...you can get a 1945 with built-in wifi so you can use your SD slot exclusively for memory...it's called a 4150! You might check it out, they're awesome!

toxostoma
11-01-2003, 11:00 PM
Well, a couple of days ago, I was almost ready to send my recently purchased 1945 back because of the yellow screen and replace it with a 2215... (In fact, I previously posted I was returning my 1945). But, as I started to really think about it, I realized that size was THE most important factor when I purchased my PPC. As a college student, I just don't want to wear a PPC on my hip... so it had to be small enough to fit in a pocket.

Rather than make a quick decision, I've been giving it some time, and the 1945 is really starting to grow on me. The size and performance are just awesome. The screen isn't bothering me as too much when there is good lighting in the room. At night, in pitch dark, it's a little more noticable, but I'm becoming resigned to living with it.

I got a slipper case from handheldplanet.net and it's nice. It's so tight at first that you can hardly put in and remove the iPAQ but after just a day or two the case forms to fit... It's very thin and pocketable, but still offers adequate protection.

I'd say that if you're a power user, that's going to be using peripherals (Wi-Fi, modem, camera, whatever) a lot, you'd be better of with the 2215 because of it's dual slots.

But if all you need is a very capable handheld that's truely pocketable, go with the 1945. You can always get peripherals for it for the times you need it, you'll just loose your memory slot.

Hope this helps.

Paula
11-02-2003, 12:12 AM
If you would like a woman's point of view...

I have used a 1930 at work for testing purposes and while I only used it for an hour or so at a time I found myself wishing the unit were a little thicker. I have small hands and for me the 1930 just felt too thin. I also wished it wasn't as wide as it is (I know the width is necessary) . It also felt very slippery. Not as slippery as a 3000, 5000 series, but slippery enough for me to always be aware of the slipperiness while I was holding it. That made me quite uncomfortable. And lastly, I noticed that the device would expand and contract as I pulled out and replaced the stylus(it also creaked). I chose the 2215 for a few reasons: CF slot, it is a bit thicker (not too much thicker but just enough), I like the style better, Rubber grips (even though they fall off), and oh and did I mention the CF slot? :D

Sigh I am still waiting for my 2215 to arrive from the US(shipped on the 21st). I have been waiting for 2 weeks now. I just hope it actually gets here. :(

Paula

blusparkles
11-02-2003, 12:50 AM
I have both the 1940 and the 2210. I absolutely love the size and shape of the 1940 - it's so curvy and slim and feels nice in my hand. The yellowish tint isn't bothering me as much as it used to, especially after I applied the fix for changing the whites to a "whiter" colour - once you get over that speed bump everything's just peachy. I use a Socket SD WiFi card whenever I want to jump online - would be great if the card also had built-in memory, but as it is I've installed my "main apps" to main memory or the iPAQ File Store - everything else is installed to an SD card and is stuff that I won't likely need while using the SD slot for WiFi.

My 2210 is also great - pretty identical setup to my 1940 but has all of "other" apps installed to the CF card, which I then have access to while using the SD slot for WiFi.

NBKC
11-02-2003, 01:15 AM
True, there are clear target groups for both of these devices as some need both of the slots, I, for example, prefer a cheaper price over certain features, and women like it thick and curvy (8O). At the moment, I'm quite convinced that the H1940 is the one for me so i'll give it a try.

Again, thanks for your (pocket pc) thoughts!