View Full Version : Pocket Internet Explorer gives me "The page you are looking for cannot be found" when I try to login to a secu

sxr71
10-30-2003, 04:47 AM
I don't know why I and a friend are having this problem with PIE 4 on Windows Mobile 2003 on an iPaq 2215 using both an Ambicom and a Netgear Wi-Fi card, via Sony Ericsson T616 on GPRS, and via USB pass-through.

People have suggested using a tweak like tweaks2k2 to make the browser appear to be IE 6.0 but that doesn't fix the problem.

The truth is that PIE 4 was included with 128-bit encryption and Microsoft created a mobile MSN Passport website designed specifically for Pocket PCs and mobile phones. Somehow both our pocket PCs just cannot access it and we get the message " the page you are looking for cannot be found."

sxr71
10-30-2003, 06:34 PM
I see that 74 people have viewed my post and that the solution seems to be elusive in nature.

The question I wonder about is whether anyone has actually tried logging in to a bank website or even tried to purchase something from an online store before. Has anyone been able to it or am I expecting more from my iPaq than it is designed to do?

I can, however, log-in to forums such as this one and post wirelessly.

Dave Beauvais
10-30-2003, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure what your issue might be. I have successfully logged into both my bank account and PayPal account from my h5455 upgraded to Windows Mobile 2003. Using my desktop browser (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/) the connection with my bank uses AES-256 256-bit encryption, but on the Pocket PC, both they and PayPal use 128-bit encryption. I'm also able to connect to my mail server using SSL in the Inbox app. I'm not sure what to tell you other than "it works for me."

--Dave

sxr71
10-30-2003, 10:03 PM
Thanks for that information, I'm glad to know that it does work.

It's sort of weird that two of us are having the same problem (my friend and I). Now I can try changing settings to try to get it to work. Thanks!

BTW, I'm in Columbus also. I find Cup 'O Joe on Olentangy road a good place for free Wi-Fi and coffee.

Dave Beauvais
10-30-2003, 11:36 PM
Is there a page you can post the URL to so we can try to duplicate the problem? Before you rip your hair out it might be nice to know if anyone else can successfully connect securely to the site in question. No login info or anything, of course; just the site.

BTW, I'm in Columbus also. I find Cup 'O Joe on Olentangy road a good place for free Wi-Fi and coffee.
Small world. :) I haven't been there recently even though it's only about seven minutes away from home. (Upper Arlington area.) All the movies I've seen recently have been out at Easton or the Arena Grand (http://www.arenagrand.com/) downtown, not Lennox.

--Dave

sxr71
10-31-2003, 02:48 AM
Thanks for your help!

Arena grand looks great, I think I'll have to watch all my movies there with a reserved center seat.

The sites I have tried are:

1. The MSN mobile website that is a default "favorite" I tried to login to
Hotmail using that link which leads to what they call "mobile passport." The site works fine, but as soon as I put my login information and click on "sign in" I get the message "the page you are looking for cannot be found."

2. www.americanexpress.com - this site lets me input my login information but when I click on "submit" PIE4 gives me the same message.

3. www.amazon.com - I can browse and put anything in my cart that I want but when I input my login information and click on "submit" I get the same message from PIE4.

Each time the message appears in a pop-up.

I tried using HP's chat service to get a solution but after an hour and a half of waiting and getting no answer, I gave up.

The curious thing is that I can understand my iPaq 2215 doing this with all the software I put on it, but my friend's 2215 is basically a virgin. It has nothing on it except the Wi-Fi card and drivers and it gives the same problem.

Dave Beauvais
10-31-2003, 03:16 AM
For Amazon, try http://www.amazon.com/pocketpc, instead. That gives you a Pocket PC-optimized version of the site. You can log into your account there from a 128-bit secure page. (At least it works for me.) I poked around the American Express site a bit and secure pages worked fine there, too. <shrug> Is it possible you're behind a router or firewall that's blocking secure ports? Have you tried accessing secure sites from the wireless LAN at Cup O' Joe? :)

... Arena grand looks great, I think I'll have to watch all my movies there with a reserved center seat.
They aren't very reasonably priced, in my opinion. I've sat in the leather seats in the balcony for Columbus movie premiers (free tickets thanks to brother's fiance) and the seats are nice, but not worth the premium price. :)

--Dave

disconnected
10-31-2003, 04:32 AM
I'm not sure if it's exactly the same situation, but for a while I couldn't get to any https page. My problem turned out to be caused by an app that wasn't updated for 2003 (Zagat). Uninstalling it didn't fix the problem; I had to do a hard reset.

sxr71
10-31-2003, 11:31 PM
For Amazon, try http://www.amazon.com/pocketpc, instead. That gives you a Pocket PC-optimized version of the site. You can log into your account there from a 128-bit secure page. (At least it works for me.) I poked around the American Express site a bit and secure pages worked fine there, too. <shrug> Is it possible you're behind a router or firewall that's blocking secure ports? Have you tried accessing secure sites from the wireless LAN at Cup O' Joe? :)

... Arena grand looks great, I think I'll have to watch all my movies there with a reserved center seat.
They aren't very reasonably priced, in my opinion. I've sat in the leather seats in the balcony for Columbus movie premiers (free tickets thanks to brother's fiance) and the seats are nice, but not worth the premium price. :)

--Dave

Thanks for your help. I tried accessing those sites from both Cup 'O Joe and using my T616 via GPRS on ATTWS and it still doesn't work. I tried the www.amazon.com/pocketpc website and it still doesn't work. Maybe disconnected's situation applies to mine also. I will keep trying until it does. It is good to know that it does for you, so now it's just a setting or two away from working on mine.

I watch movies so rarely that I think leather seats will make a rare experience even better. I had no idea Columbus even had a movie theater that is so nice. I've lived near New York for a while and I've never seen anything so nice over there (maybe they have nice theaters but I didn't know about it).

Disconnected: I also have Zagat for Pocket PC, it's hard to get a good meal without it these days :) . Zagat updated the application last week and it is so much better than the old one. It takes up much less space on my Pocket PC and runs much faster. Columbus, Ohio for example is 12kb as opposed to 180kb before. If you haven't updated yet you will be in for a pleasant surprise when you do. I believe this one is designed for WM2003. They want to make it so that the program can install onto a storage card also, when they do that I will get every city in the US on my Pocket PC. I also wrote to them about how good the program is now.

The Zagat 2003 might still be interfering with my ability to surf secure websites, but I wonder why my friend who does not have Zagat has the same problem. Maybe in her case it has to do with the network she is on (CWRU in Cleveland).

disconnected
11-01-2003, 02:19 AM
Thanks. I actually do have the new Zagat now, and it (and my iPAQ) are now both working fine. The only thing I'd like to change about Zagat is the coverage; they don't have my city at all (unless you count that silly Tops thing), and some of the cities they do have are pretty sketchy. The app itself is great though, with all the cross referencing you can do. I also wish they'd hurry up and code it so it could be put onto a storage card; they've been promising it for quite a while.

sxr71
11-04-2003, 10:04 PM
Thanks for all your help Dave and Disconnected. I did a hard reset and it worked perfectly. I am now going to install applications one at time and see which one is causing the problem.

I think the old Zagat did not uninstall properly and left some bad stuff in the registry. As for my friend I'll ask her to hard reset and reinstall and hopefully it will work.

Thanks a lot!

Update: I just got all my software reinstalled to the Pocket PC and made a new backup. Browsing secure sites works perfectly! Thanks again!