View Full Version : Pocket Informant Ad-Make Gyno Appt???

bdegroodt
10-29-2003, 10:52 PM
Anyone notice the banner ad for Pocket Informant on the front page of PPCT? Appointments include "make gyno appt" and "butcher." I think the boys/girls (apparently) could use a PR firm to help them understand a thing or 3 about ads and class.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/sponsorimages/button-webis_c.gif

dMores
10-30-2003, 11:36 PM
hahaha :)

that's good. i think they did it on purpose, maybe as a sort of easter egg?

thanks mentioning it.

Dave Beauvais
10-30-2003, 11:38 PM
Hey, these things are part of life. I don't see how that is in poor taste.

--Dave

bdegroodt
10-31-2003, 02:42 AM
Hey, these things are part of life. I don't see how that is in poor taste.

--Dave
Not debating if it's part of life or not. A million other things that are more likely to apply in a sample screen shot. Especially given the majority of PPC owners aren't likely to walk into a gyno in the first place. Perhaps that's the plan though. A way to get more women involved in the PPC. A little demographic branding.

Janak Parekh
10-31-2003, 03:05 AM
You should send the feedback to Alex over at WebIS... :)

--janak

Kati Compton
10-31-2003, 03:59 AM
Not debating if it's part of life or not. A million other things that are more likely to apply in a sample screen shot. Especially given the majority of PPC owners aren't likely to walk into a gyno in the first place. Perhaps that's the plan though. A way to get more women involved in the PPC. A little demographic branding.
Heh. While I wouldn't want to miss a doctor's appointment, I don't think most women would choose to have that reminder seen by random men.... ;)

davidspalding
10-31-2003, 07:00 PM
well, 3Com advertised Palm Pilots with a naked ballerina (tastefully curled up to hide any [R] rated stuff). the billboard version got some heated press discussion. it was a cutsied up rendition of the Apple "What's on your PowerBook?" series.

i guess the PI people wanted to up the ante a bit. frankly, i think it's a bit juvenile. why not have an appointment called "downld warez" or "deinstall P2P" or "mailbomb RIAA."

Kati Compton
10-31-2003, 07:42 PM
well, 3Com advertised Palm Pilots with a naked ballerina (tastefully curled up to hide any [R] rated stuff). the billboard version got some heated press discussion. it was a cutsied up rendition of the Apple "What's on your PowerBook?" series.

i guess the PI people wanted to up the ante a bit.
Somehow I doubt that these are related

frankly, i think it's a bit juvenile. why not have an appointment called "downld warez" or "deinstall P2P" or "mailbomb RIAA."
Because those three things are either silly, illegal, or destructive. Making a gynocological appointment is actually quite important to many people, and something that one might actually keep track of in a PDA.

Jon Westfall
10-31-2003, 09:15 PM
Kati, I believe making an appointment of that nature would be important to most women. Most people means men as well, and I have a hunch that making a gyno appointment is a lot less important to men than to women... :mrgreen:

Kati Compton
10-31-2003, 11:18 PM
Kati, I believe making an appointment of that nature would be important to most women. Most people means men as well, and I have a hunch that making a gyno appointment is a lot less important to men than to women... :mrgreen:
What about an appointment for their wife or girlfriend to obtain birth control? I bet that's important to a whole lot of men. :razzing:

But anyway, I said many, not most.

I guess I just don't understand the strong negative reactions. I get the "this is kinda funny and/or weird" reactions... But getting worked up and upset about it? Seems excessive to me.

Jon Westfall
10-31-2003, 11:55 PM
I think its interesting that the ad has probably been in rotation for awhile now and we just noticed it.

Its actually kind of humerous in the way that an incident I witnessed a few years ago at work was. At the time I worked at Target (for Non-US visitors: Large discount store chain), and we were looking at pictures hanging in the store of "model" employees. One nice looking gentleman had a blurred out name on his nametag. Upon very close examination, the name "Barb" became visible.

I love easter eggs like that!

Jacob
11-01-2003, 12:00 AM
By no means is this in the "offensive" category - although most companies would probably choose something less personal in nature I guess to put in the add.

I would think "Doctor Apt" would be more likely...

bdegroodt
11-01-2003, 12:16 AM
not worked up or upset here...since I started the thread. Just a very odd choice of sample appointments to use in an ad. I looked real hard all day long at MSFT's Outlook 03 ads and saw no such references. Each to his/her own. I just think it's a poor choice given the typical demo purchasing a PPC...and even those females that do make a purchase- I don't know too many that are willing to discuss the gyno appointment at all. Seems to be something most like to not discuss.

Thinkingmandavid
11-01-2003, 02:22 AM
It doesnt bother me, it is probably taking randomly from a pda and no one has taken notice but us :wink:
I agree with kati, nothing to get worked up about. To back that up here is an example: My girl friend needs to make an appointment with her gynocologist, she asks me to meet her there, so I enter the info in my pda and have an alarm remind one hour before. That simple.
I think it was brought out as being different but I dont see the big deal.

bdegroodt
11-01-2003, 02:30 AM
It doesnt bother me, it is probably taking randomly from a pda and no one has taken notice but us :wink:
I agree with kati, nothing to get worked up about. To back that up here is an example: My girl friend needs to make an appointment with her gynocologist, she asks me to meet her there, so I enter the info in my pda and have an alarm remind one hour before. That simple.
I think it was brought out as being different but I dont see the big deal.

Interesting. I wonder if I should start another thread on if you are invited to your girlfriend's gyno appointment or not. Aside from those going down the path to parenthood, I'm guessing that's not high on any list of invitations from our female counterparts. I certainly haven't ever been invited...but then again maybe that's for a reason :idea:

Kati Compton
11-01-2003, 02:43 AM
Interesting. I wonder if I should start another thread on if you are invited to your girlfriend's gyno appointment or not. Aside from those going down the path to parenthood, I'm guessing that's not high on any list of invitations from our female counterparts. I certainly haven't ever been invited...but then again maybe that's for a reason :idea:
Uh - you don't want to be in the room.

bdegroodt
11-01-2003, 03:44 AM

So I'm told. Besides, if I were invited, I'd probably end up making somebody mad by picking up some tool and making a joke about it.

Kati Compton
11-01-2003, 04:36 AM
So I'm told. Besides, if I were invited, I'd probably end up making somebody mad by picking up some tool and making a joke about it.
Hopefully something better than "Hey, where does this go?"