View Full Version : Hiding your private data

DimensionZero
10-29-2003, 09:42 AM
A while back, someone asked about how you could hide your private data on the PPC. I couldn't find the original thread so I've created this one...

Anyways, I don't recall what the end solution was, but here's a program I accidentally wandered across that I hope will be of help.

It's called Pocket Privacy (http://www.pocketmind.com/pocketprivacy.htm) by Pocket Mind.

Looks like it'll do what the person was looking for. (outlook data, contacts, tasks, programs, any file...)

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 01:33 PM
I know there is a thread going on right now that this would be useful for. it is someone asking about passwrod protection for pocket word docs.
It looks interesing. I am soon going to be buying a protection software. I am going to look at this and maybe even try the free trial :wink:

beckp
10-29-2003, 02:24 PM
I bought Pocket Privacy a while ago. It wouldn't install properly as it would act as if a PW had been already set. It took MANY emails to them to convince them of this behaivior as they just assumed I was an idiot. Finially they sent me a "in house" utility to clear a previous PW. I finially got the application to work but on their web page they failed to mention it doesn't work for securing anything on a memory card. I was told not to worry as they were about to release a version that would support memory cards. I was told that this was considered a major upgrade and normally they charge for it but in my case since that's what I was looking for orginially they would provide it for free. Well the "about to release" was almost a year ago and they continue to ignore any emails I send them. I would stay clear from them as they get a "F" for customer service. It's not that hard to return an email, especially to a paying customer.

JustinGTP
10-29-2003, 04:50 PM
I bought Pocket Privacy a while ago. It wouldn't install properly as it would act as if a PW had been already set. It took MANY emails to them to convince them of this behaivior as they just assumed I was an idiot. Finially they sent me a "in house" utility to clear a previous PW. I finially got the application to work but on their web page they failed to mention it doesn't work for securing anything on a memory card. I was told not to worry as they were about to release a version that would support memory cards. I was told that this was considered a major upgrade and normally they charge for it but in my case since that's what I was looking for orginially they would provide it for free. Well the "about to release" was almost a year ago and they continue to ignore any emails I send them. I would stay clear from them as they get a "F" for customer service. It's not that hard to return an email, especially to a paying customer.

Wow. That is something, and the website wouldn't even work for me at my school...

-Justin.

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 05:48 PM
oh wow, that is interesting, mmm, hopefully a lot of people will view this thread. that is good to know, i was close to trying out but maybe not anymore. maybe someone should send them an email witha link to this thread. if no one does it, let me know and i will take care of business :mrgreen:

Constant Caffeine
10-30-2003, 09:04 PM
I finially got the application to work but on their web page they failed to mention it doesn't work for securing anything on a memory card. I was told not to worry as they were about to release a version that would support memory cards.
:roll:
I get annoyed when these companies claim one thing, but deliver another. I need something that will secure documents on memory cards. I'm going to use the Resco file explorer that comes with the h5555. HP told me it does not come with the h5550 model. How does that make sense?

Thinkingmandavid
10-30-2003, 09:28 PM
I can tell you how it makes sense, it is hp :roll:
They show the 5555 model on their website.
I know there isn't much of a difference between the two, that is one of the 'isn't much of a difference betweent the two' I am referring to :wink:

quincykay
10-31-2003, 06:30 AM
Finially they sent me a "in house" utility to clear a previous PW. .

I have the same issue. Do you still have that utility by any chance. I have tried everything. It wouln't let me re-install because it keeps asking for my password and saying its not correct.