View Full Version : Why buy pocket informant???

rzanology
10-28-2003, 02:26 PM
I downloaded the demo of pocket informant. It was cool, but i saw no real reason to get rid of the one that the OS uses. Maybe some of you guys who use it can give me a few reasons to buy it. I been reading around for a while, and it seems to be a very hyped software....i just don't know why. So help me out here.

Thinkingmandavid
10-28-2003, 02:32 PM
I have never purchases it but I have checked it out on handango. Teh built in works great for me, just added a plug in 'pocket plus' and i like it. I also use Franklin covey for the ppc for tasks which is coming along as well. my big deal was the needing of repeating alarms.
my only complaint is not being able to erase what is already in myppc when it aks for subject, so i can put my own in teh drop down list.

LazyDonkey
10-28-2003, 02:40 PM
its horses for courses really - but for my I find PI is great cos it means i can actually use my PPC for planning my diary. The built in apps don't have a week view and are resolutely fixed.

I started my palmtop days with a Psion 3a (then 3c, then Revo, the 5mx) so I'm used to being able to change the calendar so that it works for me. PI gives me this flexibility. My days aren't strutured into timeslots so the PI week view is invaluable, but it might not be a big deal for others.

To be honest, the only other feature i really use on PI is the ability to be able to create a task and then set an alarm time on it.........rather than the PPC default of 8am the next day. It means i can set myself tasks in a meeting and have them flash up later on in the day to remind me to actually do what I've promised.

To summarise, PI is great for flexibility and for working with you rather than against you - and no I don't work for the company!

PetiteFlower
10-28-2003, 02:41 PM
If you don't think you need it after trying it, then don't buy it. I don't need it either. I think it's mainly for people who have a complicated schedule and need more features; I'll have a meeting now and then, but rarely do I have more then one event in a day, and I don't use Tasks at all. If the built in stuff fulfills your needs, then why spend more? Like, I am aware of all the shortcomings of Pocket Word, but you know, I use it to carry directions to people's houses, and character sheets for my roleplaying games, and that's about it, so I'm not going to spend a boatload of money on Textmaker, even though I know it's a high quality program, even though I know it has all these features that PWord doesn't have, because I just don't need it!

dMores
10-28-2003, 02:48 PM
the only reason why i got PI is because of the week view.

the integrated week-view just shows you when you're available, but not what that certain appointment is.

better contacts, sorting by company, better appointment view etc. are just bonuses.

i'm certain i only use about 5% of PI's power, but it's all i need it for.

Thinkingmandavid
10-28-2003, 03:11 PM
There you have it, some really good posts. I personally dont need all the bells and whistles of that program. If i ever need another datebook program Iwill search through every single one of them because I am very picky in that area. PLanning my day is important to me so I know what I can expect for that day. If i ever did go buy one i wouldnt buy what was popular, i would buy what fits my needs :wink:

CTSLICK
10-28-2003, 03:56 PM
The major selling point for me was the task management features. I have hundreds of things that I keep track of on my task list and PI gives me several excellent tools to manage them. But as many have stated here and other places...its not for everybody. I used the built in stuff for about 6 months before I started shopping for "more power".

To PI's credit, the default settings you get when its first installed are very well thought out. I was able to use it immediately and slowly began exploring more options over time.

dMores
10-28-2003, 04:00 PM
ah yes. tasks can now have subtasks !!!

cool stuff.

Thinkingmandavid
10-28-2003, 05:27 PM
ah yes. tasks can now have subtasks !!!

Sounds to me that goes along the lines of project management. If it has some basic features for that then that is good. Right now I dont need that. I go to work, go to grad school, work out, and have a little fun such as movies or just getting some sleep :D

dMores
10-28-2003, 05:32 PM
it's great even for small things.

task: have a party
subtask: buy booze
subtask: invite chicks
subtask: organize throw-up-containers
subtask: make sure neighbours don't call the cops.

see ?

;)

Thinkingmandavid
10-28-2003, 05:40 PM
haha, that is a good way to look at it :D
in that last one a great way to do that is to invite your neighbors :wink:
mmm, I can see using something like that for grad school, such as
task: write term paper
sub task-read
sub task-read
sub task-read
sub task-begin typing 1st draft
sub task-send to 3 email accounts in case hard drive goes crazy
sub task-2nd draft
sub tast 3rd draft
sub task-4th draft
sub task 5th draft
sub task-final edit
sub task-format using APA
sub task-print and turn in

AppleMac
10-29-2003, 10:09 AM
Task: Buy a pencil
Subtask: Choose clothes
Subtask: Put on clothes
Subtask: Put on shoes
Subtask: Open door
Subtask: Go outside
Subtask: Close door
Subtask: Go to car
Subtask: Enter car (TOP TIP: What did you do to get out of the house?)
Subtask: Read highway code
Subtask: Drive to stationary store
Subtask: Enter stationary store (TOP TIP: What did you do with the car?)
Subtask: Pick up Pencil
Subtask: Go to check-out counter
Subtask: Open wallet
Subtask: Pay for pencil
Subtask: Take change if any
Subtask: Exit stationary store
Subtask: Read highway code again
Subtask: Drive home
Subtask: Go inside

"Pocket Informant for the Pocket Idiot" (EDIT: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: j/k)

Now to get back onto the topic
I think PI is worth buying just for the week view. When I wake up in the morning i'd rather not have to see the calendar entry "Science test today, make sure you have fully revised" and think "Oh damn, Today View just had to give me information at such short notice" Add in real task management, pretty colour schemes and all the configuration options, and I think it's a very well-spent $25. Think of it this way: you've spent at least $300 on a PDA, now just spend a little extra $25 to truly make it a "PDA" :wink:

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 01:23 PM
APPLEMAC Pocket Informant for the Pocket Idiot

If that is the way you feel about it then why did you buy it and are using it??
I would like to have a week view. but I have not seiuosly looked at any of the pim option there are. having the ability to put certain things in color ican see is useful bu i dont know if i am buy enough yet for that. I dont know.

AppleMac
10-29-2003, 05:20 PM
Edited it to clear up any confusion
If you don't find yourself liking PI, there's always Agenda Fusion (http://www.developerone.com)

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 05:45 PM
I actually find myself forgetting that name and i dont know why.
pi and af are probably the most well known out there, but i dont knwo if theyare for everyone. I would like to see what else is available. right now I have franklin covey stuff on mine and it is ok. it just adds daily tasks, master tasks, daily record of events and that isit. not sure what else i want. actually yes i do, i want to enter an appointmetn and be able to put what i want in my own drop down menu. it seems it comes with predefined stuff, and i dont like anyof them.

rzanology
10-29-2003, 07:15 PM
thanks guys...some very helpful posts. i think im not going to buy it now. i really dont need those extra whistles.