View Full Version : Help w/ wi-fi please!

sasquatchw/ppc
10-28-2003, 03:27 AM
I just pruchased an e740 and I need to set it up to use wi-fi hotspots there are some on campus but I have no idea how to set up the connection right and browse the internet from my handheld. I need simple istructions on how to do this. Thank you.

Thinkingmandavid
10-28-2003, 05:35 AM
howdy, let me ask you this. have you taken your ppc and turned on the wi fi on your e740 to see if it will automatically recognize the wi fi on campus???
1. go to start
2. then tap on settings
3. connections at bottom of screen
4. tap on network settings for wi fi

sasquatchw/ppc
10-28-2003, 10:35 AM
if I go to wirless LAN utility it does recognize the connection but I don't know where to go from there.

Palmguy
10-28-2003, 03:20 PM
Well if it recognizes the connection and shows it as connected, I'd say open up Internet Explorer and try to go somewhere. It might be slow but give it a little bit and see if the page loads.

Thinkingmandavid
10-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Palmguy is on target. open up internet explorer and hopefully you will be posting to this thread from your ppc :wink:

sasquatchw/ppc
10-28-2003, 09:15 PM
what if I get an error message saying "trouble connecting. go to start>settings>connections and change your connection settings".

Palmguy
10-28-2003, 09:58 PM
I'm going to have to defer here to the PPC2k2 experts. It's been awhile since I was in connection manager on a 2002 device.

Until one of them comes in here and tells you what to do, I'd recommend the following steps:

1. Does your router/AP have DHCP enabled? If so, make sure it is enabled on the e740. If not, assign a static IP address. On my 3950 with external card, for some reason I had to assign a static IP address even though I had DHCP.
2. Any settings you see with a choice between "The Internet" and "Work", set to Work.
3. Make sure any WEP keys are entered if necessary.

None of this will guarantee that it will get working, but it's a start. I'm not familiar with Toshiba's built-in config software so I don't know exactly what you are looking at.

sasquatchw/ppc
10-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Hey I think I have got connected using wi-fi, but how do I surf, everytime I type in a URL it tells me that "the page you are looking for cannot be found". What gives.

sasquatchw/ppc
11-14-2003, 06:00 AM
bump

Wiggin
11-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Hey I think I have got connected using wi-fi, but how do I surf, everytime I type in a URL it tells me that "the page you are looking for cannot be found". What gives.

Sasq, when you connect to a WiFi hotspot, you merely create a conversation between your PPC and the WiFi Router... what you do NOT do is create an authorized relationship that is able to access the Internet via that router. Your PPC will sniff hot spots, and will create a conversation quickly / easily. What gets more difficult is establishing an authorized relationship. This usually involves a WEP password, or the need to set up a VPN, or some Network settings on the PPC.

The sign that you have a "conversation" and not a "relationship" created is the error message "... cannont be found". That merely means you are not getting out to the Internet... the Router is still waiting for the proper security/access codes.

Hope that helps explain your error message... now, the tough part is to get a "relationship" set up with the WiFi network you are aiming at. Search the threads here for help on how to set up your PPC... the answers are there...just a bit difficult to find.

Good Luck
:way to go:

sasquatchw/ppc
11-18-2003, 04:04 AM
Thanks Wiggin today i finnaly got connected for the first time. But unfortunately when I got home and tried to use some neighbors coverage it wouldn't connect and it kept pulling the bogus IP 169-264 etc. Oh well Ill keep trying it will work eventually.

Skoobouy
11-27-2003, 11:37 AM
I'm having the same problem with my iPaq 1935 + Sandisk WIFI.

I can sync AvantGo while connected, but I can't use the Web. "Web page cannot be found." Do I have to put in the Gateway or something?