View Full Version : Start Menu Question.

dh
10-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Hey Guys,

If you have a second, take a look at this screenshot showing my start menu.
http://www.rfidnews.net/Misc%20Images/menu.jpg

See the little row of icons along the top of the start menu and those little empty icons? I've been trying to get rid of the empty ones and they are starting to annoy me. Does anyone know how particular application icons get into that area and if I can edit or remove them.

Thanks.

timbur
10-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Have you got any apps installed on a card? If the card isn't there you will get exactly this effect.

The answer is to run 4-5 apps from the ppc e.g. excel. word etc & their icons will replace the empty ones.

Tim

PetiteFlower
10-27-2003, 11:54 PM
Does a soft reset clear this area?

dh
10-28-2003, 12:17 AM
I've decided that this area is some kind of "last apps used" thingy. Things only seem to appear there everynow and again, if I don't launch the app from the start menu it doesn't get there.

I have no idea if this is part of the OS or added by one of my apps.

Timbur and PF: I do have some apps on my SD card card, but it is in place. No, a soft reset makes no difference.

Pat Logsdon
10-28-2003, 12:39 AM
You're right - it is a "last used apps" thing. My guess is that you're using an application from the Start Menu or from Programs that the OS can't find an icon for, so it's showing a default one.

You can get around this by using some kind of a mini-launcher on the Today screen (these don't register in the "last used" area), and you can clear the default icons by selecting six different applications from Programs or the Start Menu.

dh
10-28-2003, 12:47 AM
You're right - it is a "last used apps" thing. My guess is that you're using an application from the Start Menu or from Programs that the OS can't find an icon for, so it's showing a default one.

You can get around this by using some kind of a mini-launcher on the Today screen (these don't register in the "last used" area), and you can clear the default icons by selecting six different applications from Programs or the Start Menu.
Yep, that's just what what I found. I very rarely use the start menue, I launch all my apps from Program Bar on the Today screen. I'm sure these icons have always been there but I only paid them any attention today.

I launched some apps from the start menu and sure enough their icons replaced the blanks.

Thanks for the help guys.

KenClunk
10-28-2003, 01:05 AM
Yep It is a last used ap thing I sometimes have my icons go that way as well when removing a cf card. Do as they said above, open programs and it will disappear, i have yet found a way to get rid of it as it is somewhat annoying. The question. I have recently downloaded a number of todAy screen apps to have launch from and cannot find a good one. I like the wheather as well. Where did you get these programs? Thank You -Ken

DrtyBlvd
10-28-2003, 01:29 AM
I think the weather one is from www.omegaone.com - Journal Bar?

Re the elusive apps - if the programs are on a CF card, not sure if this applies to SD or not, and you perform a soft reset, the location for the subsequent short cuts is lost - I've found some 'find' themselves again, but some consistently do not... IE if you place a short cut in your start up folder expressly. Run it again, post reset, and it will refresh the icon. Annoys the hell out of me. I wasn't aware that this problem didn't apply to 'Today' launchers - indeed, if memory serves, Scott Seligmans' 'Launcher' app had this problem as well?

I'm sure there was a program somewhere that you used to run post reset that would recreate the associations - I did post a query on it a few weeks ago but no one pointed me in the right direction?

dh
10-28-2003, 01:50 AM
Yes, I use Battery Pack and Journal Bar from Omega One. The app launch icons on the Today page are from Program Bar which is part of Battery Pack.

I don't use the Battery Pack part because I don't want to clutter up my screen too badly, but I like the Program Bar and the task switcher that is included.

maximus
10-28-2003, 02:04 AM
Ha ha ha. That was my feeling exactly. I was so annoyed by those 'missing link - last apps used' so that I basically avoided installing applications on the SD/CF cards. All the apps went into main memory or internal memory.

Solved.

I launched some apps from the start menu and sure enough their icons replaced the blanks.

I did that also. :mrgreen: When my girlfriend saw that, she commented that I was sooooo immature for launching 7+ applications just to remove the missing link - last apps icon .... he heh. I guess girls will never understand the perfection that we demand from our PPC, eh ? :D

dh
10-28-2003, 03:15 AM
Ha ha ha. That was my feeling exactly. I was so annoyed by those 'missing link - last apps used' so that I basically avoided installing applications on the SD/CF cards. All the apps went into main memory or internal memory.

Solved.

I did that also. :mrgreen: When my girlfriend saw that, she commented that I was sooooo immature for launching 7+ applications just to remove the missing link - last apps icon .... he heh. I guess girls will never understand the perfection that we demand from our PPC, eh ? :D
I tell you, I feel much better now that is solved. It's only a little thing but, like you say, we want our PPCs to be just right.

PetiteFlower
10-28-2003, 04:06 AM
I guess girls will never understand the perfection that we demand from our PPC, eh ? :D

AHEM? :huh:

maximus
10-28-2003, 04:55 AM
Cough .. cough .. :oops: