View Full Version : Can you move an activesync connection agreement to a new PC?

barky81
10-27-2003, 04:58 PM
Is it possible to move your existing activesync connection agreement (and all associated conduits, etc.) to a new PC?

Or do I actually have to reinstall EVERYTHING (and it is a LOT) on the new PC?

Thanks!

darrylb
10-28-2003, 11:15 AM
I assume you are talking about a partnership?

If so - I think it easiest to install from scratch. The data on the PPC should copy to the computer fine, but any apps that install conduits will definately need to be reinstalled.

You will also need Outlook on the PC.

Thinkingmandavid
10-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Starting from scratch saves a bunch of frustration. rememeber we are talking about activesync. HAHA, activesync, now that is joke of a word name to use for this. I swear it just isnt flexible enough. :!:

barky81
10-28-2003, 04:50 PM
I just did a quick count, and I have 76 applications installed on my 3870 at this point.

Several are subscription-based services.

This is going to really be a pain!

The good news is that I am moving from a desktop partnership to a laptop-based partnership, so hopefully this will be a one-time deal.

So what the heck, I just ordered (pre-ordered?!?!?) my Windows Mobile 2003 upgrade for my 3870 from HP's site. Expected ship date is 10/31 (although I doubt that is necessarily true, that's what the site says).

If I have to go to the trouble, why not blow it all away and make it worthwhile!

Thinkingmandavid
10-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Are you talking about getting a new ppc??
That would be cool, of course on here the idea of anyone getting a new ppc is always cool :!:

barky81
10-28-2003, 05:53 PM
That would be cool, of course on here the idea of anyone getting a new ppc is always cool :!:

No, just upgrading the 3870 ROM from PPC2002 to WM2003.

But since that would require a hard reset anyway, that helps me justify the pain of reinstalling everything just to move my activesync partnership to a new laptop (from my desktop).

darrylb
10-28-2003, 06:58 PM

No, just upgrading the 3870 ROM from PPC2002 to WM2003.

But since that would require a hard reset anyway, that helps me justify the pain of reinstalling everything just to move my activesync partnership to a new laptop (from my desktop).

In this case - you will definately have to install them all from scratch. The ROM update will wipe everything in memory.

If you have any programs in the file store, you may want to physically remove them before re-installing as they will survive the hard reset, but will be orphaned from the rest of the application settings (as they wont be there) after the upgrade - same goes for apps on storage cards.

Thinkingmandavid
10-28-2003, 07:29 PM
That is a good point and I am glad you brought that up. Weird things happen you talk about upgrading to the latest os.
I have always felt starting from scratch is safest however not most convenient. Make sure you have a complete back up from when something goes wrong. and yes it probably will :wink: