View Full Version : my 512MB CF card is slow....

spursdude
10-27-2003, 08:18 AM
I got my Viking 512MB CF card pretty recently, and it's a lot slower than the other 3 or 4 CF cards that I have. Write speeds are significantly slower; when it reads off the card, it makes currently playing music skip a bit; it even takes quite a bit of time just to delete files.

The 512MB card is formatted FAT32, whereas my other cards are just FAT. Is that what makes the performance difference? Thanks.

Len M.
10-29-2003, 04:06 AM
We've been running some benchmarks on larger CF cards and have found a tremendous amount of variation in read & write speeds.

Download a copy of SPB Benchmark from www.softspb.com and run it on your Viking. Then post a copy of the XML file here and I'll add it to our database.

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 05:10 AM
How about giving us an idea of what you all have found in the read and write speed. It sounds to me that there is a significant difference by how you worded it.
mmm, I wonder if we could ever get read/write fast enough for any of us.
So what do you all end up doing with the info? :|

Len M.
10-29-2003, 05:25 AM
It appears (at first measure) that the latest generation of mid-range priced large CF cards (SanDisk) is fast enough to do 24-bit/96 KS/s uncompressed audio recording. Some of the lowest priced ones can't manage it and the premium-priced cards (RiDATA. Lexar WA 40x, SanDisk Extreme) seem to be overkill.

The digital photography market is driving the speed race, and thankfully, we're the beneficiaries.

If you have a large CF or SD card (1 GB or larger), please run SPB Benchmark and send us the name of the manufacturer, the size of the card, the card serial number, and the XML file with the results of the benchmark.

We'll post the results of our data gathering to our Web site as the data comes in.

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 05:27 AM
Now that sounds interesting. MMMM, I may be buying an sd card soon and I will be glad to contribute :wink:

spursdude
10-30-2003, 04:26 AM
Anybody else have ideas of how to get better performance out of my CF card? (I won't bump this again... last call for help)

Len M.
10-30-2003, 05:46 AM
Return it to the store where you bought it and buy a Lexar 40x WA, RiDATA or SanDisk Extreme instead.

Len M.

spursdude
10-30-2003, 07:36 AM
Return it to the store where you bought it and buy a Lexar 40x WA, RiDATA or SanDisk Extreme instead.

Len M.
I'm assuming that would be a lot more money - paid $90 for the card, and assuming I sent out the mail-in rebate in time, I'll get $20 more back.

Len M.
10-30-2003, 01:09 PM
You might check eBay and be surprised.

And after all, what is that card worth now that you've found that it's turtle-slow?

Len M.

Vially
10-30-2003, 08:16 PM
We've been running some benchmarks on larger CF cards and have found a tremendous amount of variation in read & write speeds.

Download a copy of SPB Benchmark from www.softspb.com and run it on your Viking. Then post a copy of the XML file here and I'll add it to our database.

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Is there a way to read the data in that database ? I want to know some speeds of CF cards, so I know what I should buy.

Len M.
10-30-2003, 08:40 PM
We'll post the results to our Web site when there's enough helpful data to post.

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com