View Full Version : Options for wireless internet?

funk3r
10-27-2003, 03:12 AM
I own a 2215 and want to get online wireless. As of right now I don't have a cell phone, and thats the only way that I heard that you can get online. Is there another way to do it?

ps, i'm a newbie to all the pocket pc technical terms, soo please explain the vocab words if you use them :lol:

delfuhd
10-27-2003, 03:22 AM
Well, also, if you have a cable internet service provider, you can bye a wireless access point, and a WLAN CF card for your 2215, and through that way you can get on the net... It's kind of hard to explain without getting technical, well for me it is... But there are many ways besides a cell phone. Bluetooth, as well, can be used... but I'm not too familiar with bluetooth... Sorry if this doesn't help lol, but you have lots of options

funk3r
10-27-2003, 03:36 AM
About the wireless acces point thing, would that mean I could surf the net while I'm walking down the streets or driving in the car?

Crazie.Eddie
10-27-2003, 04:58 AM
The access point would have to be a router, but that's only within limits to your house. For the mobile access, there are 2 types. One is similar to the previous mentioned, you would still need to get a Wi-Fi CF card on your Ipaq and you can access local hotspots in your area, like Starbucks, McDonalds, etc. You would have to find out which areas have them. YOu will not be able to drive around using this, but just have to be in those hotspots I mentioned.

If you want to drive around the neighborhood and have constant connection, you would have to get a Wireless card, like Sprint PCS Connection Card (http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories/Phones.jsp?SORT_CODE=PCS+Connection+Cards&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2421&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_SCID=ECOMM&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_PCode=None&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_cartState=group&bmUID=1067226708325), TMobile Network Cards (http://www.t-mobile.com/locator.asp?referer=/products/default.asp%3Fclass%3Ddata%26nav%3Dhm), or Verizon Wireless' (http://www.verizonwireless.com/) network cards.

Both the Wi-Fi or Network cards require monthly subscription. You will also need a jacket (i'm not sure if your model has one) that will support a PC card.[/url]

Palmguy
10-27-2003, 02:38 PM
The 2200 does not support PC Cards.

hollis_f
10-27-2003, 02:48 PM
I own a 2215 and want to get online wireless. As of right now I don't have a cell phone, and thats the only way that I heard that you can get online. Is there another way to do it?

ps, i'm a newbie to all the pocket pc technical terms, soo please explain the vocab words if you use them :lol:

To be able to get online anytime, anyplace, anywhere you'll need a martini. Oops - sorry for all non-brits and brits <30 years old.

What you will need is a mobile phone. I guess that you're in the US, where things are quite a bit different from the situation in Europe. So I wouldn't really be able to offer a lot of useful advice.

ROSEDOGGYDOG
10-27-2003, 03:29 PM

I just got on Wi-Fi myself at home and I'm pretty impressed, went out and got me a linksys grade-B router and I was very surprised at the speed.

I had first tried connecting through a Bluetooth connection, went out and got a 1st class BT transmitter and spent 3-4 hrs trying to make it work. I got it to work for 5min. went to set up my wifes and it went FUBAR from there.

You can connect through a cell phone but you don't have too. It would be a nice way to connect if you were out on the road and needed it asap. You still would need a Wi-Fi card.

With the Wi-Fi, dissable your SSID broadcast and enable your WEP, unless you like leeches. The other thing you could do when you get your Wi-Fi card is plug it in and start sniffing for an open reception, if you get one, somebody did not do like I suggested.

lanwarrior
10-29-2003, 06:58 AM
Just a note, there is an issue with some 5450 connecting to GPRS via bluetooth handphone. Once connection is made, you can only browse for a few minutes before there is a "hang" on the transmission. i.e. both iPAQ and the phone shows BT connection still active and GPRS connected, but no data can be transmitted.

Apparently, it's the iPAQ itself as connecting to GPRS on the PC via bluetooth has not problem.