View Full Version : Why is time not adjusted?

terrypin
10-26-2003, 10:20 AM
The clocks went back an hour in UK last night, returning to GMT. My PC is showing the correct new time, but after replacing my 2210 in its cradle that is still showing summer time. I thought the clocks were supposed to agree automatically via ActiveSync?

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

spikedrabbit
10-26-2003, 10:34 AM
Synchronizing the time is an option in ActiveSync. To make sure it is supposed to sync the time, open ActiveSync and go to Tools -> Options... and it is on the Sync Options tab. It says "Synchronize mobile device clock upon connecting."

ChristopherTD
10-26-2003, 10:34 AM
Is your 2210 set to the UK timezone?

My 5550 popped up a message this morning saying that the clocks had gone back.

hamishmacdonald
10-26-2003, 11:25 AM
My 2210 adjusted itself automatically, without having to synchronise.

Apologies: I don't recall where I told it to do this.

Thinkingmandavid
10-26-2003, 11:36 AM
As stated above, you have to choose the option for your ppc to do the time change. you can still do it so go for it.

terrypin
10-26-2003, 12:38 PM
Sorry, I should have made it clear that I had that option enabled. It is not syncing though! All files etc seem to be synving OK, but right now my PC says 11:36 and my PPC says 12:36...

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

terrypin
10-26-2003, 12:49 PM
Is your 2210 set to the UK timezone?

My 5550 popped up a message this morning saying that the clocks had gone back.

Yes. But I noticed that I didn't get the familiar message from my PC this morning asking if I agreed with its adusted time. That was oresumably because I was working on PC over midnight. And had not rebooted. So I changed the PC time manually.

I'll try rebooting PC now.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Duncan
10-26-2003, 01:09 PM
My PC, laptop, XDA II, Loox 600 and iPAQ 2210 all updated automatically this morning (no need for turning off or rebooting). I don't recall ever selecting this option - it just happens!

Mind you I didn't get the 'agreement' message on PC or laptop -just the autochange...

terrypin
10-26-2003, 01:13 PM
Well, I eventually sorted this, but still don't know why it didn't happen automatically.

Not sure which of these steps was the crucial one. With 2210 in its cradle and apparently synced in all respects other than time, I rebooted PC. No apparent change. In ActiveSync|Tools|Options I DISABLED the option 'Synchronize mobile device clock upon connecting' and tapped OK . When ActiveSync had finished its re-syncing procedure, no apparent change. Repeated, but this time ENABLED it again, hoping that would somehow re-establish the correct syncing. No apparent change. Soft reset, without removing from cradle. No apparent change. Altered PC time by a couple of minutes. No apparent change. Removed from cradle and replaced. Success! PPC now showed same as PC. Readjusted time on PC, removed PPC and replaced. Correct time displayed on PPC.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Fishie
10-26-2003, 01:40 PM
You kept the PPC in the cradle after enabling clock synchronisation, this caused activesync to remain active on the Ipaq(I found that even with a soft reset programs remain active quite often on my 2215, dunno why)and since activesync remained active on the PPC it didnt bother checking for the clock since it didnt check for changes on the PPC side.

Thinkingmandavid
10-26-2003, 02:41 PM
mmm, well my toshiba did all th work for me. I did not have mine in the cradle.
have you double checked your time settings? home/visiting?

terrypin
10-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Fishie,

The strange thing though was that I had already replaced the 2210 in its cradle several times. And those hadn't triggered the time to sync. Presumably one of the other steps I took TOGETHER with cradling was necessary. I'll test it agin next summer!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

spikedrabbit
10-26-2003, 08:31 PM
Glad you figured it out. It could have been a problem with ActiveSync. Did you make sure that it was not a running program before you recradled it?

Lex
10-26-2003, 09:20 PM
My iPAQ 3845 missed the time change. PPC 2002. Out of cradle.

Sven Johannsen
10-26-2003, 10:54 PM
Don't forget to make sure the PC and PPC are on, not only the correct time zone, but also the correct instance of your time zone. Differences are largly in the treatment of DST. Example is GMT London,Dublin as opposed to GMT Casablanca.

On the PC there is an 'adjust for DST' check box, there is not on the PPC.

I think you can create some interesting issues if you have an older PPC and a newer desktop, or vice-versa, as MS changed both clock systems from having a zillion cities to choose from, to only a few options in each zone.

I note that I do not get the notice that it fixed the clock on my XP and 2000 systems that I used to get on my older boxes. My Axim (2003) and 2215 both notified me they had changed the clock. Both were on cradles and connected, so I'm not sure if they grabbed the time from the PC. My wife's Axim (2002) however was in her purse and showed that it had updated for standard time all by itself. I have a Jornada 568 that hasn't been connected to a PC in weeks that also updated for standard time all on it's own, with a notice.

From my stuff, the PPC seems to be able to update for DST all on it's own based on the timezone (DST or non-DST) set. having the PC and PPC set differently and set to sync, seems to be what gets them out of sync.

Fishie
10-26-2003, 11:15 PM
Fishie,

The strange thing though was that I had already replaced the 2210 in its cradle several times. And those hadn't triggered the time to sync. Presumably one of the other steps I took TOGETHER with cradling was necessary. I'll test it agin next summer!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Activesync on the Ipaq 2215 often continues running after taking it out of the cradle.
One of those weird lil things.
Mine changed witouth a hitch.

terrypin
10-26-2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks Sven - interesting post. Apart from the useful stuff on the time-syncing issue, I was fascinated to hear from a user maintaining a PC and multiple PPCs! And I thought I had sync problems... <g>

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Sven Johannsen
10-27-2003, 06:39 AM
Thanks Sven - interesting post. Apart from the useful stuff on the time-syncing issue, I was fascinated to hear from a user maintaining a PC and multiple PPCs! And I thought I had sync problems... <g>
--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

The only thing that keeps it marginally sane is there are multiple PCs involved too. My wife, of course has her own, so I don't need to worry about that. I really wish MS would do something about the two partner limit on the PPC. It can't be that unusual to have a PC at home and at work...and a laptop. It is not much of a stretch to see a home and work PC, a personal and a company laptop. It wouldn't be a big deal if MS had ever figured out that folks might want to sync their desktop with their laptop, but they didn't. So...the PPC is how you can keep the calendar, contacts, etc, in sync on various machines...but only two, how silly.

DimensionZero
10-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Hmmm.. Well, my 2210 didn't automagically adjust the time...
My PC had done so without a problem so when I cradled the PPC, it adjusted the time as well.

Any ideas how one would get WM2003 to do this on it's own instead of having to cradle the PPC?