View Full Version : Not Enought Memory

darrylb
10-26-2003, 08:38 AM
I have a 2210 and a reasonable number of applications installed.

I have a total of 5.18 Mb Storage memory left and 8.06 Mb Program memory left.

I remember the days of 32 Mb devices where my only gripe was that I could not fit many MP3's on the device. Now I have a 256Mb SD card with my music on it and still very little memory left on the device. Some of my apps have been installed to the storage card, but most of the critical ones are in the device. There are no large files taking up space it is just that I use my PPC so much that I have a longish list of apps installed.

I am careful to uninstall any unnecessary apps and trials (if I put them on...) if I dont need/want them.

I thought about sending the device in to PPCTechs for a memory upgrade, but dont like the idea of messing with the hardware in the device. Also the price is not small.... and I'd probably be better off just upgrading to a new device (oh darn :mrgreen: ).

I long for an iPAQ with 128 Mb RAM - but 256 Mb would not be too big either.

Does anyone else have this problem? And what are peoples experience with devices with 128 Mb RAM? Any other ways of getting around this?

Thinkingmandavid
10-26-2003, 11:39 AM
If you have been keeping up with my posts, then youwould know that i feel only low models should come wiht 128/256 of memory. PPC's just dont have enough memory. ONce we start installing apps it takes space up quickly. It should be we have to go and buy sd/cf memory to meet our needs. Those are OPTIONS AND MANUFACTURERES OF PDA'S/PPC'S SHOULD REALIZE THIS! :!:
I have used to much of my memory and I dont have a lot of apps installed. I was looking for stuff to delete yesterday adn the day before, but everything in there i want or need.

dh
10-26-2003, 03:58 PM
64mb on my Axim has been fine so far. This is only because Dell was smart enough to provide some additional ROM as Built in Storage.

I have 22mb of this memory of which only about 6mb is left. Most of my apps live in this area, leaving most of my RAM free.

For my next PPC I will not settle for any less than 128mb of RAM, with some additional storage for apps. I can't imagine why people even consider models that have less than 64Mb total memory.

buckyg
10-26-2003, 04:17 PM
I've got an iPAQ 5555, so it's got 128MB. I've installed pretty much everything I used to have. Still have somewhere betwee 80-90MB total memory free.

The sad part is that I am so conditioned to conserve memory (from previous PPCs) that I keep from putting much more on so I won't run out of memory.

OK, I'll say it for you already: Boo-Hoo!

Mitchybums
10-26-2003, 04:37 PM
I have a 2215, and it's hard to keep memory clean.
I use my 128 and 256 storage cards for scumm games and movies, and the essential progs and 2 games are in memory.
PocketInformant takes quite a bit, and I sometimes dont even have enough mem to turn on bluetooth.
It's not handy.

Mark_Venture
10-26-2003, 07:33 PM
I have a bunch of stuff installed on my iPAQ 2215 (64Meg ram/56 Usable) see list at... http://marzano.home.att.net/mobile/iPAQ-Software.htm Oh, also,its not on that list, but I was using Commontime's Cadenza mNotes. Free trial just ran out so its still installed too. Looks like I'll end up purchasing it...

BUT I install everything I can to my SD card rather than main memory. Including a few eBooks, video clips, and only like 1 or 2 MP3s.. (not many MP3s on iPAQ because I have a Creative Nomad Zen 20Gig MP3 player that I carry with me.)

Currently, my iPAQ has 14.82MB storeage free, and 17.17MB program free. SD card has 104.5M free.

darrylb
10-26-2003, 09:49 PM
PocketInformant takes quite a bit, and I sometimes dont even have enough mem to turn on bluetooth.
It's not handy.

I didn't realise PI was so heavy on memory until yesterday when I installed the upgrade (2Mb). I might move this to the File Store... This would help.

darrylb
10-26-2003, 09:57 PM
BUT I install everything I can to my SD card rather than main memory. Including a few eBooks, video clips, and only like 1 or 2 MP3s.. (not many MP3s on iPAQ because I have a Creative Nomad Zen 20Gig MP3 player that I carry with me.)

I am cautious about installing stuff to the card. Mine tends to be in and out a bit which can interfere with applications if you are using them, also, it takes a couple of seconds for the device to power up the card which can be a pain sometimes. I do have some apps on the card tho.

darrylb
10-26-2003, 10:00 PM
The sad part is that I am so conditioned to conserve memory (from previous PPCs) that I keep from putting much more on so I won't run out of memory.

This is good practice though even with heaps of memory - Apps can interfere with each other, and it seems to slow the machine down over time. Maybe this is due to fragmentation.....

Sven Johannsen
10-26-2003, 10:32 PM
There is also the issue of memory leaks. Some time go to the memory app and hit stop all. Take a look at the program memory left. Then reset and look again. Barring applications that were actually still running after the stop all but don't show up there like Calligrapher, and the Dell Task Switcher, the difference is leaks. In my case thse things that are still running after a Stop All, are restarted after a soft reset, so their memory hit should be accounted for.

More RAM of course doesn't help bad program leaks, but be aware you might get more RAM back, by reseting rather than stopping apps.

Jereboam
10-26-2003, 11:45 PM
I really do think we should not be forced to buy premium models to get more memory. I can't see that it is a physical issue...for example the 5450 and 5550 are the same size but one has 64Mb and the other 128Mb, so no problem with the form factor. Thus you are being forced into an upgrade path that suits the manufacturer rather than the customer...

I think there are many who would agree that having a range of memory sizes for ONE model would go down well with Pocket PC users...ie, let's say they offer the 22xx in three sizes, exactly the same Pocket PC but with 64Mb for light users, 128Mb for serious users and 256Mb for super users, with a corresponding price range. This would allow us to have complete freedom in choosing form factor, features AND memory size. This might of course have an impact of their manufacturing policy...which is probably why it will never happen.

I know I would have stumped up any extra cash for more memory, no doubt.

J'bm

Mark_Venture
10-26-2003, 11:59 PM
I am cautious about installing stuff to the card. Mine tends to be in and out a bit which can interfere with applications if you are using them, also, it takes a couple of seconds for the device to power up the card which can be a pain sometimes. I do have some apps on the card tho.
Ahhh... For me, my SD card stays in at all times. I only swap the CF cards between CF Wi-Fi, no card, or CF memory from my digital camera.

JonnoB
10-27-2003, 01:58 AM
I store most of my occasional apps on one 256 SD card, my music on another 256 SD card, and my every-day use programs in memory. I am always having to adjust my installed programs to adjust storage and program memory to run apps. 64mb is not even close to enough. I can see where 128 would not be enough either.

DimensionZero
10-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Well, there's always the 128MB upgrade (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/i2200up.asp) from Pocket PC Techs. :mrgreen:

darrylb
10-28-2003, 07:00 AM
I did a hard reset over the weekend and ended up installing as much as I could to the File Store.

Only problem is that Nevo complains about not having space now as it stores its config data on the File Store. :evil: But on the bright side I now have 36 Mb Free in total of main memory :D

Also, Bluetooth is now more reliable - no more memory issues! :)

Thinkingmandavid
10-28-2003, 02:40 PM
yeah, it is cool they can upgrade it but it sint cheap in my opinion. Also think about your warranty for the first year :wink:
I agree, we shouldnt have to get a top of hte line model just to get more memory. :!:

terrypin
10-28-2003, 02:50 PM
Darryl, Yes, I have exactly the same problem. Was down to about 1 MB in Storage and Progs yesterday. 'Not enough memory' messages prompted much housekeeping.

My 1 GB CF card is my jukebox, plus backup EXE files from Pocket Backup. 128 MB SD card is all sorts of stuff, and is now my automatic choice for new installations unless I'm explicitly warned off. I'd like 2x or 4x as much to feel comfortable.

And only had a PPC since July!

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

JustinGTP
10-29-2003, 06:32 AM
64mb on my 2215 is enough, all of my applications and things are on there, including the sparse mp3 (thats why I have a mp3 player with over 100 on it).

256mb is enough for every program that isnt vital. I keep adobe, Mobile Printing and other plug ins and software on my ram. I have 12.15mb free on storage and 16mb free on programs, and I dont think that will change much as everything I need is on there :D

-Justin.

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 06:57 AM
well done justin :wink: I know on my laptop I am always looking for space, but the thing is i dont even use five gigs of my space. I just like a clean desk top, clean C drive, I just dont like clutter :mrgreen:
I live in teh just in case mode for myppc. Just in case I want to load a big app or something that is realy cool or that i really want. I have the room to do it on the spot. :)

sasquatchw/ppc
10-29-2003, 09:25 AM
we need hard drives in these things. They need to be able to design a mini hard drive that won't compromise battery life. I want a gig internal in my PPC!!!

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 01:35 PM
An internal hard drive, 1gig, it would be nice to have the space, I wonder aout the cost. I know there is room to put one. ah, the improvement of the pda/ppc has no limits, only that of a mere mind :wink:

JustinGTP
10-29-2003, 04:55 PM
You don't really want much now do you sasquatchw/ppc?

You can make your PPC up to 5gigs (I believe) but that would be compact flasgh and about $3000

-Justin.

sasquatchw/ppc
10-29-2003, 10:46 PM
I want internal no external CF card. Those CF cards a a killer on battery drain. And i am talking about the immediate future like we should already have 1 gig in these PPCs. We have had 64 mb since the dawn of time practically. come on its time to kick in the hard drive.

JustinGTP
10-29-2003, 11:11 PM
But you have to remember that the Hard Drive takes power aswell...

dh
10-29-2003, 11:30 PM
I know that people using the CF size Microdrives report that they drain the battery a lot faster than CF memory cards. I would also think that an internal hard drive would need more power than a memory card as well.

There was a thread a while ago about using a CF card instead of the usual RAM chips.

buckyg
10-30-2003, 03:28 AM
IMHO, I do hope that as the "standard" amount of memory in PPCs may increase, we do not see the same big increase that happened on PCs: bloatware.

Yeah, I know some programs already maybe could be considered that. What I don't think we want is for developers to start thinking: "You know, most everyone these days has 128MB (or whatever) on their PPC. That's a lot for my app to play with. I'll use it"

Islanti
10-30-2003, 06:44 PM
I spent a little time yesterday cleaning out my PocketPC. I thought folks watching this thread might be interested in the biggest space hogs I found.

I have 16 MB in use as storage memory on my Axim x5 Advanced (64MB) w/WM2003 . The biggest hogs:

8MB - Temporary Internet Files (cannot be moved to SD card in WM2003 AFAIK). OmegaOne's JournalBar application syncs its content into T.I.F., and I actually use PIE to browse the 'net. T.I.F. is really bloated as a result.

2MB - MS Reader 2.2.2 update (a little smaller after I deleted the .TTF font files from \windows the update installed, which are identical to those in ROM!)

1MB - Various common DLLs (mostly for games). e.g. fmodce.dll, gd201b.dll, gd104.dll etc. These could be copied to the individual app/game directories on my SD card, but having a .3MB DLL x 5+ apps seems like a bigger waste of space to me (even if it's on the SD card).

.5MB - Emails (just the emails, no attachments)

.4MB - Money 2004

.3MB - Messenger update

.3MB - My Documents. This is just the stuff I'm syncing to my desktop PCs, plus a few things that braindead developers *require* in \My Documents rather than, say, \SD Card\My Documents\.

.2MB - RaptureTech's King Sol help file (necessary if you want to know the rules of the games you're playing)

When I backup my Pocket PC, I exclude the Temporary Internet Files directory, which brings things down to a more managable size. Unfortunately, if I'm running a big application, such as Mapopolis, I'm usually low on memory.

Without T.I.F. in memory, I'd obviously have much more room to work with. Of course, PIE would be slower too (especially with MultiIE and 6 PIE windows open, because multiple simultaneous reads / writes to the SD card slow things way down).

Until I have a problem, I've basically decided to live with things as-is. I'd prefer a neat-n-tidy Pocket PC file system, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

terrypin
10-31-2003, 08:02 AM
2MB - MS Reader 2.2.2 update (a little smaller after I deleted the .TTF font files from \windows the update installed, which are identical to those in ROM!)

Thanks for that interesting analysis of space-hoggers.

Are the redundant font files all the \Windows\*.TTF ? And no adverse results on Reader after deleting them?

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Thox
10-31-2003, 03:25 PM
i rarely have trouble keeping hold of my ram. i've got an SD card crammed half full of the software i use (as CAB files). whenever i need a certain application i just install it (using CabInstaller so that i can keep the CAB file for later use).

mmm... 25Mb free program memory :)