View Full Version : Symbol/Socket WiFi CF Card => Serious Power Drainage ??

truffles
10-26-2003, 06:29 AM
I recently replaced my Dell TM1180 with the Symbol Wireless Networker I recently won on eBay for $49 USD. It works great . . . I get good range all over my house. However, I realize that the Symbol eats up my battery life faster then it did with the TM.

First things first . . . I would just like to let you guys know that I am running the Axim X5 Basic PXA255 on Windows Mobile 2k3 A05. Instead of running the Axim at 300mhz, I switched it to powersafe 200mhz mode.

Okay, Now . . . I used my Axim for one straight hour of light Axim+Wireless usage, I hit 25% used from a fully 100% charged battery. Which isn't good at all =( . . .
When I used the TM for 1 hour => only 10% was used. This is right after a fully charged battery too.

Isn't the Symbol/Socket card suppose to be very power efficient? Or is that just as good as it gets? I can't access the functions like range, power management, wep, and etc for the Symbol card. I am just using the latest socket drivers. Does anyone know if you can access those power management options on the Symbol Card using Socket drivers? All I see is Cert Enroll in the Options. At SocketCom there is something called Socket Tools. Do I need that too? It says it only supports PPC2k2. Does the Socket Drivers already have all the configuration tools and stuff on it?

Thanks,
TRUFFLES