View Full Version : Best Wi-Fi network profile tool?

Crazie.Eddie
10-24-2003, 07:35 AM
I'm looking for a good tool that allows you to have several profiles to connect to different networks. For example, I can create a network profile for work with the specific WEP Key & specific IP settings (DHCP, WINS, etc.) Another profile for my home using DHCP. Another one for StarBucks, etc.

I saw IP manager, but it doesn't look like you can just click on one profile to configure all the settings.

DrtyBlvd
10-27-2003, 01:01 AM
Pocket WinC - www.cirond.com might fill the requirements? Not sure so don't shoot me if not... :!: :lol:

Crazie.Eddie
10-27-2003, 02:02 AM
Pocket WinC, which I already have, lets you scan for Wi-Fi networks. What I'm looking for is a profile tool that, if I choose my home profile, it will set my WEB encryption, set my SID, enable DHCP, change my proxy, whether I use internet or work to access the internet, etc. Then if I go to work, change my settings for work, If I go to Starbucks, then do the same their.

DrtyBlvd
10-28-2003, 11:34 PM
Ah :) Strikes me as an obvious requirement, given, to me anyways, the arcane rationale behind it's current set-up routine... Yet there have been no responses from anyone - surely such a thing exists 'in spades', I would have thought :?:

Wonder why not if that's the case? I would certainly have thought there would be 'mileage' in someone producing something as you describe, with the added functionality of WinC, Ministumbler and pocket hosts to boot - all wrapped up in a 'Non geek manageable' type interface...

I have yet to visit a starbucks, but I do know I am sat in a hotel lobby using a vaio wirelessley having turned it on, opened up a browser and entered my CC details for access - the paq 55 sat on my left just won't play ball at all and I have little idea how to fix it, letalone the time to spend so doing...

Such a utility would be a boon for many - witness the plethora of "I can't get it to work" type messages across all the boards out there - gertting it to work at home was trial and tribulation (and nearly war and peace as well) and i still don't understand what i did that made it work...

Why not have such an app that has files of the settings required for such public places, perhaps downloadable in order to update? You'd have Starbucks file, an 'Intercontinental' file, a 'Hilton' file etc etc...

I know someone would say "It's not rocket science", but to me, it may as well be!
What's that you say?

"They all have the same settings?"
"Mine worked right out of the box"
"I did x,y and z and it just worked? "

This should be EASY ffs - not an excercise in advanced networking terminology comprehension!

More to the point, it shoud be as easy as it has just been with my laptop - or, dare i say it, as easy as it was getting bluetooth to work!

*Ahem*

Sorry - wandered off a but there onto a pet frustration that's just been inadvertently re-kindled. Blam the hotel for having wireless.

But you can see why I actually don't fancy doing the 'Starbucks thang' - I'm fairly sure it would raise it's ugly head there as well!

Crazie.Eddie
10-29-2003, 02:44 AM
AMEN to that!

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 05:24 AM
:lol: I am laughing over here because I took my sony vaio and went into starbucks and it worked like a charm. :wink:
easy as pie
good as apple pie
etc. :mrgreen:

I havent tried to use my toshiba, but then again I havent bought a bt sd
card for it yet.

The original post sounded to me as if he wanted his pda to automatically switch profiles, meaning it would recognize when he was at work, home, etc. He wouldnt have to do anything else manually once it is all set up.
Am I understanding correctly :?:

stitics
10-29-2003, 05:38 AM
To me it sounds more like he wants a drop down menu to choose from a list of "Networks" which have previously been configured (presumably by the user, but possibly downloaded), and that will change all pertinent settings so he can connect to the network without manually entering all the relevant data or manually changing his location in the connection manager, etc...

So, since I think what I just typed was more confusing than the original post, I think he wants what you just said, only not (necessarily) automatic. Just pick one and go, instead of a million little tweaks from network to network.

On a related note, I have no idea what might do this.

Crazie.Eddie
10-29-2003, 06:48 AM
Yep. WM2003 with zero config is working real well in some areas, but I notice that at most occassions, I would have to configure for proxy. This is what I'm trying to avoid.

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 01:53 PM
oh i see. mmmm, i dont know.

dochall
11-03-2003, 01:02 AM
I asked the question some time ago and didn't get any answers.

However ...I've found some thing that does it. :D

hudson ip dashboard is a today plugin which gives a variety of settings on the today screen. It also includes a profile option within the setting so that you can have a static ip address (as I do at home) or select a dynamic address (for those public hotspots.

It doesn't limit you to two but that was all I needed. Good piece of software. I bought it without realising this feature.

Crazie.Eddie
11-03-2003, 01:11 AM
I'm looking for a profile app that not only allows IP changes, but also WEP, SSID, and Proxy too. It doesn't look like IP Dashboard does this. In fact, there are several apps that do the same thing as IP Dashboard, which just change the IP. IPmgr (http://kelbran.com/products/IPmgr.html) has the feature I am looking, but only supports VERY LIMITED cards. I contacted them regarding providing support for more cards, but they said they are working on it.[/url]