View Full Version : Mac users - alternatives to ActiveSync?

straysheepie
10-22-2003, 05:47 PM
Hi, I'm a total PDA newbie and waiting for my Ipaq 2215 to arrive :D

I have both a PC and a Mac, and I would prefer to sync my PDA with iCal and Address Book since it's much prettier than Outlook and I also have integrated Bluetooth with the Powerbook.

I was reading about Missing Sync and that sounds like it will do the trick. How do Mac users like this program? Also, can you install drivers and things through Missing Sync? I was looking at the Sandisk SD wifi card and got confused reading the installation instructions since they said you MUST have ActiveSync.

In the worst case scenario, I guess I could set up an infrared (no BT adapter on PC) and ActiveSync just to install drivers etc...

Thanks for any insight you can provide! :mrgreen:

mrkablooey
10-23-2003, 02:01 AM
I've been using Missing Sync for a few days and it seems to work quite well. You can install programs with it as long as they're not EXE executables. Drag and drop CAB files and many plug-ins are fine. Definitely worth it if you want to sync w/ iCal, etc.

straysheepie
10-23-2003, 07:40 AM
Thanks! I'll hold off on it for a little while since I can beam calendar info from my phone to the PDA... it sounds like the only downside to Missing Sync is me having to pay more money for it!

There are SO many things one can buy for a PDA! Ack! 8O

klinux
10-23-2003, 05:55 PM
Missing Sync (or rather Outlook-AS-PPC/Microsoft-MS-iApps) do not play well when roundtripping. That is, right after I sync to Outlook and then sync to Mac and back to Outlook - things get really messy with lots of dupes.

mrkablooey
10-24-2003, 01:25 AM
Hmm.. no dupes here!