View Full Version : Expanding Platforms For TextMaker and PlanMaker

Ed Hansberry
10-22-2003, 04:00 PM
<a href="http://www.softmaker.de/tmpoll_en.htm">http://www.softmaker.de/tmpoll_en.htm</a><br /><br />SoftMaker is considering expanding the platforms they support for the world class word processor TextMaker and the as yet unreleased spreadsheet PlanMaker. They want your help to decide where they should focus their development efforts. Choices include the Mac, both OS9 and OSX, several flavors of Unix and the P800. Go vote for your favorite alternate platform. They already support Pocket PCs, Windows, Linux and FreeBSD.<br /><br />I'm interested in a something myself so lets do a quick poll on TextMaker. how many of you use TextMaker for your portable word processing needs?

bljarv
10-22-2003, 04:05 PM
I probably would use Textmaker, but it's so darn expensive! Even when it's on sale, it is still expensive. I just can't justify spending that much money on an application that augments the built-in option. I know that the feature set for the software puts Pocket Word to shame, but still can't justify it.

I'd be curious to hear why other folks aren't using it.

Kevin Jackson
10-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Cost is the major factor for me as well.

Edit: With all those mentioning the size, I do remember that the amount of space it takes on my device was another factor in my decision not to use it.

hamishmacdonald
10-22-2003, 05:01 PM
I am using it because I'm a professional writer, and I just can't send a document to my editor with things like inch-marks instead of smart-quotes in it. That example alone is such a small feature, but it's the main reason I switched programs.

The feature-set of TextMaker is vast. It's almost too much for me. But I'm also writing my third novel in it, and there's just no way to go back and fix up things like 'dumb'-quotes and hyphens instead of em-dashes. (AutoFormat? Not on my document, thank you!)

PocketWord is nice and simple, and sometimes I wish I could use it. But it just doesn't do what I need it to do. I can't be mangling my editor's original documents by opening them in PocketWord, and I need a fuller set of characters than it wants to give me.

So, no, I don't suppose TextMaker is for everyone. But it is the choice for me.

szamot
10-22-2003, 05:54 PM
I was hell bend on using TM. I really liked the feature set and all the options it offers but… It is far too much and far to complicated to actually get anything done on a small screen like that. I use Word to get the main ideas across, just so they are down on “paper”, then bring the document over to a PC and in a fraction of the time that it takes to peck around the PPC screen I would get it all edited on a PC. If I did not use a PC and needed to submit documents right off the PPC then yes, but since PPC relies heavily on a PC anyway this seemed very redone.

jmarkevich
10-22-2003, 06:14 PM
I too would like to use it but can't. The expense isn't really all thaaaat bad when it's on sale... I figure if I really would use it it would be worth that price. For me it's just a bit on the large size. I only have a 3650 and running the demo off the CF card was definitely not an option.

Why can't we have a halfway point? Something like PocketWord that actually KEEPS your auto-indent settings and the fonts you deliberately chose, but add things like tables and a better file format.

Actually, I'd like to see a mini-FrontPage (or Mozilla Composer) for PPC. That would be just about perfect.

darrylb
10-22-2003, 07:07 PM
I have a copy of textmaker, but it is not installed at the moment due to lack of space. I used to use it to write simple HTML text files, but WM2003 has improved support for this in Word, so now I do it there.

Installed, Textmaker is around 7Mb. That would fill about 80% of my free space (memory and storage). Its hard enough running apps with the limited space I have left now :evil: . Bring on PPCs with 128 MB RAM!!! :roll:

dean_shan
10-22-2003, 08:09 PM
It cost way to much for me.

Don Tolson
10-22-2003, 08:11 PM
I use Textmaker extensively to take notes during meetings, drafts of documents; work on reviews for Pocket PC Thoughts, etc.

But...you need to have a full-size (or folding) keyboard attached as well, to really make the most of it.

EricR
10-23-2003, 12:38 AM
Ed,

The list of choices in your poll is incomplete, 'cause I don't fit into any of them. :wink:

Suggested Additions:

O I use Pocket Word but am wanting for better

O Desktop compatability concerns keep me strapped to Pocket Word

O Wow! I can do word processing on my Pocket PC?

Of course then I would want to check both the first and second of my suggestions. :mrgreen:

EricR

Ed Hansberry
10-23-2003, 02:26 AM
Why do desktop compatibilty concerns keep you with Pocket Word? PW does far more to document destruction that does TextMaker when you are saving files as .DOC.

huangzhinong
10-23-2003, 02:55 AM
Why do desktop compatibilty concerns keep you with Pocket Word? PW does far more to document destruction that does TextMaker when you are saving files as .DOC.

ED, it is not true.

In AS option, you can remove the conversion rule for ".doc", then all your word documents will keep safe.

It's a really big misunderstanding for pocket word. As a editor in PPCT, you should try it, at least. Readers are easier to be misleaded by you than by others.

Ed Hansberry
10-23-2003, 03:37 AM

ED, it is not true.

In AS option, you can remove the conversion rule for ".doc", then all your word documents will keep safe.

It's a really big misunderstanding for pocket word. As a editor in PPCT, you should try it, at least. Readers are easier to be misleaded by you than by others.
Sync a richly formatted file, maybe with a table or two in it, over as .DOC, open it in Pocket Word, make a change, save it in .DOC and sync it back. Tell me what it does.

ricksfiona
10-23-2003, 06:41 AM
Installed, Textmaker is around 7Mb. That would fill about 80% of my free space (memory and storage). Its hard enough running apps with the limited space I have left now :evil: . Bring on PPCs with 128 MB RAM!!! :roll:

That's why I'm getting the IPAQ 5555. 64MB just doesn't cut it. User added apps I use are TransACT 2.0, TextMaker, & WebIS@Mail. I have TransACT loading from memory card, which gives me 7MB left when everything is loaded.

Running these apps on SD is just not good. It slows everything down, especially TransACT. I gotta wait a minute for TransACT! to finish loading. Connect an external keyboard or WiFi card and 99% of the time, my unit will lock up.

With 128MB of RAM, 400MHz.... I just can't wait to purchase the 5555.

EricR
10-23-2003, 07:37 AM

Ed,

That I can believe!

But I said it because it's the first and biggest concern I would have about using a non MS app with a proprietary MS file format. Now I've read about 3rd party apps for the Palm that work well with .Doc & .Xls files, but I've not come across information for similar 3rd party apps for Pocket PC.

Thus, I suggested the additional options for your poll, as I would guess there are more folks like me than those who fit into the options your poll provides.

Also, I have may have heard of TextMaker, but based on the name I never would have guessed it to be a word processor for my PPC. Now a product called PocketDoc, TrueWord, OtherWords, or something similar would have caught my attention right away!

The current poll only elicits a response of those who:
- use TextMaker
- are happy with Pocket Word
- don't user Pocket Word

For me, the real answer is: I don't use Pocket Word because it doesn't meet my basic needs (it sucks). I've given up on PPC word processing because of Pocket Word. Currently I use Notes or wait until I'm at a desktop. None of the poll options allow me to commuincate that, so I don't do the poll at all!

So, the point of my initial reply is this: There are likely a large group of PPC users who should know about TextMaker (and similar) who would blow by your poll 'cause it doesn't include choices that represent them. Thus, the mentality "if I don't fit the profile of the poll, so I must not fit the profile of the thread or the application it discusses, move on".

I almost did. It was only reading between the lines that caught my interest.

Just my two cents (from left field, I suppose) :roll:

Regards,

EricR

Thinkingmandavid
10-23-2003, 12:13 PM
He is right, the poll is too biased and doesnt include enough options. I like what was said before, and I think it should inlclude other familiar and popular word processing on the ppc. I have never used it to do any word process, but I will be starting that when I buy my keyboard soon for grad school. Then I will know how effective or non it is for me. Since I can move the document to my laptop I dont perceive it as being a problem.

Maybe something else that should be started in another thread or this one is what things should be included in peoples opinion in a word processing software for the ppc. I think it started out that text maker people were wondering if to improve upon it. if so then knowing what people want in a word processingsoftware would help in that area.

49.95??? WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! Almost the price of a wireless keyboard, give me a break :roll:

Ed Hansberry
10-23-2003, 12:36 PM
I like what was said before, and I think it should inlclude other familiar and popular word processing on the ppc.
Like what? I didn't know there were other word processing solutoins?

I knew I should have included the standard throwaway response that involves complaining about the poll options. :roll:

PatrickD
10-23-2003, 12:53 PM
I tried Textmaker and was impressed by the number of features. It was able to open some complicated documents I have. The only problem I had was performance. It was very slow. I found that editing anything other than a small or simple document was tedious, and if I am going to keep my documents small and simple I don't need all the features of Textmaker. I was running it off a CF card I don't know if that makes a difference. Any of you find the performance slow?

Jimmy Dodd
10-23-2003, 01:44 PM
Textmaker is way too big and somewhat too expensive for what use I'd get out of it.

I use PW to get text stored on my PPC and to copy it to my PC. I rarely copy docs that I have started on my PC down to my PPC due to the destructive nature of the conversion. I use PW more like Wordpad or Notepad from the desktop. I probably only use 20% of (big) Word's features anyway.

dh
10-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Textmaker is certainly expensive as PPC applications go, but it's the classic "get what you pay for" deal. TM basically gives you the functionality of a desktop wordprocessor on a really portable device.

Sure the file is pretty large, but then there's a lot of stuff crammed in there. I keep most of my apps in the Built in Storage part of my Axim so my RAM is not taken up anyway.

There are a couple of negatives with TM, it is the slowest program I have to start up and I have to soft reset before I start it or my Axim will freeze. I have a softreset button on my today page, courtesy of Program Bar, so as long as I remember it's OK. No speed issues once Textmaker is running. I should get Softmaker's support guys to help with the freezing issue but I never seem to get around to it. Actually, I'll email them now while it's on my mind. :D

Textmaker works fine with Fitaly, Calligrapher and my Pocketop Keyboard. I use Textmaker everyday and I believe it represents reasonable value for the money, when you consider all the features it has.

Oh, someone mentioned other apps for wordprocessing on the PPC. Although it's not really a word processor, I use the notes app in Pocket Informant for a lot of simple reports and notes I have to work on. I always have PI open so it's always right there and it is pretty much as good as Pocket Word. If I want to add more formatting to the work, I just copy and paste into Textmaker or over to Word on my laptop when I get home.

Thinkingmandavid
10-23-2003, 05:15 PM
I thought I had seen a few on handango...mmmm, the point for me most of all is the price as stated earlier.
if you put it on a sd or cf card will it still open just as slowly???
i wasnt the only one stating about the poll, seems to me that when you run a poll you should expect that there is someone else that has an option, opinion, or an experience that your poll doesnt cover. :wink:

jlp
10-24-2003, 06:55 AM
There are a couple of negatives with TM, it is the slowest program I have to start up and I have to soft reset before I start it or my Axim will freeze. I have a softreset button on my today page, courtesy of Program Bar, so as long as I remember it's OK. No speed issues once Textmaker is running. I should get Softmaker's support guys to help with the freezing issue but I never seem to get around to it. Actually, I'll email them now while it's on my mind. :D

Have the same problem. I emailed them on Sept 6 a lengthy report including details on how, when, if, etc. problems occur. Almost a month later (Oct 2nd) they answered:

&lt;&lt;&lt;
Hello,

it seems like TextMaker doesn't work very well together with other
applications. Our programmers are currently working on a solution,
but it's not easy.
>>>

Nothing else since.

Thinkingmandavid
10-24-2003, 11:01 AM
Hello,

but it's not easy.

are you serious? this is the response you gave? It always amazes me how companies respond to their customers and think that they a reply of any kind is good enough. It is probably some cs person who doesnt care and makes them look bad, or some developer that takes it personal when a user tells them about improvements on their products. Who cares if it isnt easy :!: They are making money off of "it isnt easy". :evil:

PatrickD
10-24-2003, 12:25 PM
applications.

I guess we should uninstall all other applications before running Textmaker. :?

jlp
10-24-2003, 08:18 PM
Hello,

but it's not easy.

are you serious? this is the response you gave?

This is the response THEY gave me; that I WAS GIVEN!!

Who cares if it isnt easy :!: They are making money off of "it isnt easy". :evil:

That's right. In fact because of this very problem, I stopped using this program. Because as DH said, I have to soft reset my device every time I want to launch TM. That of course implies I have to save data from every open application, close every running app, soft reset, wait a few seconds that the device and utils launch and then finally launch TM.

It's an aweful lot of trouble just to use one program and every time we want it :evil:

SoftMaker
10-24-2003, 09:17 PM

Have the same problem. I emailed them on Sept 6 a lengthy report including details on how, when, if, etc. problems occur. Almost a month later (Oct 2nd) they answered:

&lt;&lt;&lt;
Hello,

but it's not easy.
>>>

Nothing else since.

Sorry for chiming in late with a response. One of our net proxies has been hit by a new worm today, a worm that seems to never have been reported yet, and we spent the day removing all traces. On a Windows 2000 Server with all patches applied, mind you... :( (If anybody is interested, look here: news:[email protected]

Back to the topic, I talked to the support guy today regarding his response to jlp, and here are some tidbits to put things into perspective:

1. This issue is still marked as "open" which means it is still being investigated.

2. What Tobias, the support guy, meant (and please take into account that he is not a native English speaker) is that TextMaker for some reason does not work on jlp's Pocket PC with the mix of applications jlp has. This is correct, although stating the obvious: that's what jlp reported. Tobias then went on to say that this problem will be investigated.

2. Here is what we have done so far: Tobias spent about two hours trying to reproduce the problem on two different devices, to no avail. After that, he talked to our project leader for TextMaker who in turn spent three hours thinking about the problem, combing through the source code, trying to think about possible causes, but he, too, hasn't found any obvious bug.

3. There will be a service pack in the next few days for TextMaker which fixes a couple of bugs, the most notorious being cases where TextMaker does either not launch or displays "Important file missing or corrupt". Here, we are working around a problem in Windows CE where on a heavily loaded system the LoadLibrary API function simply fails. I suggest you try out this new version and see if your problem has gone away. If not, please persist in asking us to troubleshoot this.

4. Many in this forum know my personal e-mail address, and if you don't, it is martin-k (at) softmaker.de. If there is an issue which cannot be solved satisfactorily with our support people, please escalate it to me.

Please don't send me regular support inquiries (I'd forward them to support anyway, or worse, they might get stuck in my inbox which is filled with tons of stuff every day), but if something cannot be solved through regular venues, e-mail me directly.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

jnunn
10-25-2003, 12:58 AM
I have had excellent support from the TextMaker team. I am using the original y2000 iPAQ3600/SS2 and I noticed a bug during the evaluation period before I purchased TextMaker. The TextMaker team determined that the bug was specific to the oldest ARM processor PPC (i.e. my ancient iPAQ) and swiftly corrected the bug even though I told them that I would not purchase new software until the PPC OS increased the screen resolution.

TextMaker's functionality far exceeded my expectations and I ended up changing (i.e. improving) the way I write to take advange of the liberal function set. I had no choice but to break my rule and buy TextMaker. The power and quality of the program is reason enough to buy but the responsive and effective support gave me no choice: TextMaker is simply the best piece of software that I have ever used on my PPC and I would never go back to PocketWord.

I now consider my iPAQ as essentially a TextMaker appliance with ancillary functions.

dh
10-25-2003, 01:19 PM
There will be a service pack in the next few days for TextMaker which fixes a couple of bugs, the most notorious being cases where TextMaker does either not launch or displays "Important file missing or corrupt". Here, we are working around a problem in Windows CE where on a heavily loaded system the LoadLibrary API function simply fails. I suggest you try out this new version and see if your problem has gone away. If not, please persist in asking us to troubleshoot this.

Hey Martin, that is good to know. I get to see that "Important file missing..." from time to time. Usually if Pocket Informant is running when I try to start Textmaker. If not the message, I get the freeze. Like I said, after a reset, Textmaker starts 100% of the time.

I'll install the update as soon as it's ready, I assume you'll advise everyone in one of your newsletter when it can be downloaded. I'm using Textmaker much more than I used to because I'm writing more reports and articles for my job and I hate to lug a laptop around. It's great how you have squeezed all the Word functions into this app, certainly more than I'll ever use.

On the support issue, I'd hate to see you get like Dell and use those horrid scripts, but you might want to make sure that Tobias and the others have some nice phrases in English they can copy into their responses. When things are not going well (we wouldn't be contacting Support otherwise) we need to know that you feel our pain. :D

I now consider my iPAQ as essentially a TextMaker appliance with ancillary functions.
That's a good point. I think there are a few key applications that move a PPC from being an organiser to being a real computer.

For me Textmaker, Pocket Informant and WebIS Mail are the three programs that make my PPC a great way to leave that laptop behind.

Add in those ancillary functions like WiFi, books, music, movies, web browsing and games and the result is a device that really does become an important part of your life.

Thinkingmandavid
10-26-2003, 02:01 AM
I think it is good that they have posted on here and let everyone know what is going on. That doensnt mean I am going to all of a sudden go and purchase textmaker, but I am glad they are taking care of this forum which is obviously made up of some heavy duty ppc users :wink:
This is the response THEY gave me; that I WAS GIVEN!!
I meant what you said, they, but I was thinking and typing and got my own self confused, sorry about that :)

. What Tobias, the support guy, meant (and please take into account that he is not a native English speaker) is that TextMaker for some reason does not work on jlp's Pocket PC with the mix of applications jlp has. This is correct, although stating the obvious: that's what jlp reported. Tobias then went on to say that this problem will be investigated.
My concern here would be about the "mix" of applications referred to. HOw are any of us to know when we have the wrong "mix" of applications on a ppc with textmaker. I just think it is odd since we wouldt know which one to either delete, do without, or do we delete textmaker? It sounds as if textmaker doesnt work with all combo of apps out there. Hopefully the patch you are referring to , which reminds me of microsoft, will work, do and that textmaker team will stay on the ball and offer upgrades that take care of this types of problems, creative, and cause existing users to recommend textmaker to many more ppc users. :wink:
NOw how about that??? :?: :!: :wink: 8)

jlp
10-26-2003, 04:57 AM
I don't recall that I informed SoftMaker (TM publisher) about the mix of application I use.

Like dh, I also have Pocket Informant and use it a lot. Generally I close it often too as it's a large application like TM is.

However like dh, whenever I soft reset my device TM launches and runs smoothly.

Like Martin K suggested, the problem might come from the overloaded LoadLibrary API function in the OS.

However I recall I said to SoftMaker support that even after closing every application launched before, and then launching TM also gets the freezing problem; in this situation, the LoadLibrary API function shouldn't be overloaded then since all apps were closed before launching TM!!

So it looks like the apps installed have nothing to do with the freezing problem, but the fact some apps have been launched before TM, even if all of these app were closed before launching TM, the device freezes.

As stated only a freshly soft reset PPC launches TM smootly.

Thinkingmandavid
10-26-2003, 05:28 AM
So then every time you have to soft reset your device it is frustrating and an inconvenience to the end user, which is us... the ones holding the ppc's in our hands :wink:
It is actually annoying in a different sense, having great apps but they either are slow in loading, usage, or they cause the device to freeze which in turn causes frustration, which means a soft reset, which mens opening up the app again hoping there isnt a repea and starting the work again, and somehow getting back to that train of thought :wink:

SoftMaker
10-26-2003, 08:42 AM
I don't recall that I informed SoftMaker (TM publisher) about the mix of application I use.

Like dh, I also have Pocket Informant and use it a lot. Generally I close it often too as it's a large application like TM is.

However like dh, whenever I soft reset my device TM launches and runs smoothly.

Like Martin K suggested, the problem might come from the overloaded LoadLibrary API function in the OS.

However I recall I said to SoftMaker support that even after closing every application launched before, and then launching TM also gets the freezing problem; in this situation, the LoadLibrary API function shouldn't be overloaded then since all apps were closed before launching TM!!

So it looks like the apps installed have nothing to do with the freezing problem, but the fact some apps have been launched before TM, even if all of these app were closed before launching TM, the device freezes.

As stated only a freshly soft reset PPC launches TM smootly.

We haven't found yet what's so special about your system. TextMaker runs smoothly on the overwhelming number of systems and having to reset your Pocket PC before running TextMaker is definitely not what most other users experience; or else, the Pocket PC forums would be brimming with complaints about TextMaker.

Still, we want you to run TextMaker without problems on your device, and that's why we are spending time investigating your problem. Try the next release, and if that doesn't fix your problems we'll look at it again.

BTW, exiting programs does not solve all problems. If your memory is fragmented, for example, the harm has already been done. I remember the older Handheld PCs with SH3 that had a bug in the operating system's memory manager: After running multiple applications, the system became slower and slower until you soft-reset it. Soft-resetting your Pocket PC is akin to rebooting Windows 98, and unfortunately, QA-wise, Windows Mobile and Windows 98 seem to be on about the same level... :(

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

jlp
10-27-2003, 12:57 AM
Thanks Martin for your answer.

Could it be because I (like dh) use PocketInformant (PI)?! Because it's powerful, it probably handles many things in the background (opening/closing files, accessing Pocket Outlook databases, etc.), could it be that a repetitive use of it (displaying, adding, and/or editing appointments and adresses) could cause the LoadLibrary overload?!

I display using the fisheye month view, so it probably access dozens of bits of data that way.

I use the latest PI 4.6.

SoftMaker
10-27-2003, 08:34 AM
Thanks Martin for your answer.

Could it be because I (like dh) use PocketInformant (PI)?! Because it's powerful, it probably handles many things in the background (opening/closing files, accessing Pocket Outlook databases, etc.), could it be that a repetitive use of it (displaying, adding, and/or editing appointments and adresses) could cause the LoadLibrary overload?!

I display using the fisheye month view, so it probably access dozens of bits of data that way.

I use the latest PI 4.6.
We tried PI (though not the latest version) together with TextMaker, and didn't experience any troubles. I'll try to get the latest version.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

jnunn
10-27-2003, 09:56 AM
I run TextMaker and PI simultaneously all the time with no trouble. I also usually have a scientific calculator and Repligo running and use GigaBar to switch back and forth; sometimes PIE and/or PocketStreets are running too. I am running the y2000 PPC OS on the original iPAQ3600 with TextMaker on CF and everything runs smoothly with no need to soft reset. TextMaker is stable here.

Ed Hansberry
10-27-2003, 07:38 PM
I thought I had seen a few on handango...Really? When I go there and type "word processor" in their advanced search and tell it to match it exactly, one hit comes up. Textmaker.

If there are other solutions, I'll be happy to make a poll about them.

Thinkingmandavid
10-28-2003, 02:25 AM
mmm, sorry guys, i think you are right, there is onlytext maker. for some reason I was thinking i said seen two or three more. wow, no wonder text maker is so expensive, there is no competition so to drive prices down, bummer.
I am wondering if I am thinking about palm, oh excuse me, palmone :roll:

jnunn
10-28-2003, 02:51 AM
TextMaker is a core application for the PPC. For anyone who writes, this sort of power and flexibility is what makes having a mobile device useful. I think that the TextMaker price is reasonable considering all that you get.

Ed Hansberry
10-28-2003, 04:23 AM
TextMaker is a core application for the PPC. For anyone who writes, this sort of power and flexibility is what makes having a mobile device useful. I think that the TextMaker price is reasonable considering all that you get.
I think that is the key. TextMaker is too expensive if you just want a few more features than Pocket Word has for occasional use. However, if you use Word all of the time and need those features on your Pocket PC, $50 is very reasonable for the power TextMaker gives you.

Thinkingmandavid
10-28-2003, 05:40 AM
mmm, well this is one of those times that money vs product is arguable. i can see both sides. i need word for writing papers for grad school. transfer what i've done to my laptop and do my editing and formatting there. obviously there are those who get a lot out of text maker, i just feel for an app that is way too much.
i hope there can be some competition in this area that willdrive prices down. :wink:

Jimmy Dodd
10-28-2003, 03:07 PM
I think that is the key. TextMaker is too expensive if you just want a few more features than Pocket Word has for occasional use. However, if you use Word all of the time and need those features on your Pocket PC, $50 is very reasonable for the power TextMaker gives you.

I agree - I just wish there was some middle ground between the two extremes, maybe TextMaker Lite. :wink:

In fact, I would be happy with Pocket Word(pad) if it simply ignored but preserved Word's formatting that it doesn't handle. It's just too destructive to use safely.