View Full Version : Real Previews New Pocket PC Player

Janak Parekh
10-22-2003, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.real.com/realonemobile/download.html' target='_blank'>http://www.real.com/realonemobile/download.html</a><br /><br /></div>Real appears to have released a preview to v1.1 of their RealOne player for Pocket PCs, with RealVideo 9 support. I've never heard good things about v1.0 of the RealOne player, so maybe this improves things a little for those of you who have Real content you absolutely must play. I'm not a huge fan of Real's technology, but there's still some "Real exclusive" content that forces me to install their player on PCs.<br /><br /><b>Update:</b> As PPCT readers report, this is not new. :oops: Goes to show you how often I install RealPlayer on my Pocket PC. It would be nice if Real actually paid attention to their player and fixed the known problems it has...

Paul
10-22-2003, 05:20 AM
It's old, been out for awhile now.

JustinGTP
10-22-2003, 05:24 AM
I downloaded that about 2 months ago when I got my iPAq. This time, you're actually behind the news Janak! :shock:

huangzhinong
10-22-2003, 05:27 AM
It's old, been out for awhile now.

This verion is almost 6 month old now.

It is very strange that My version is 2.0.0.28 in the "about" page(I remembered I installed v1.1), what about yours?

JustinGTP
10-22-2003, 05:32 AM
I have version 2.0 etc. and I downloaded 2.0

-Justin.

Janak Parekh
10-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Hmm. I guess it shows you how much I ignore Real. :oops:

Should I can this post? I guess I'll update it. Sigh. ;)

--janak

jimski
10-22-2003, 05:58 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Real's technology, but there's still some "Real exclusive" content that forces me to install their player on PCs.

Loaded Real Player on my laptop and it literally overwhelmed my machine, searching for updates, relentlessly offering upgrades, etc. It's off my laptop, desktop, tablet and PPC. Nothing gets loaded on my machines unless I can decide when it can run.

I will not accept anything formatted with Real Player and have learned to live without.

Thinkingmandavid
10-22-2003, 06:05 AM
I love real player, it has always worked good for me. When I had a problem it was my piece of crap sony vaio :evil:
I like watching dvd's using real :wink:
I am going to see about real on my toshiba and see how it works out. I have didnt even know they had it for ppc, go figure. of course cant watch dvd's on my ppc

Paul
10-22-2003, 07:08 AM
Not a PPC solution but works on the desktop/laptop/tablet.
Download Real Alternative (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1054136293)
Also, Quicktime Alternative (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1049831315)

danmanmayer
10-22-2003, 07:17 AM
i despise real player. I almost refuse to watch things that only offer real content give me WMP and quicktime.

arebelspy
10-22-2003, 07:46 AM
Whoops, this was my fault. :oops:

Sorry to everyone, and especially Janak.. :(

I'm just silly sometimes. :lol:

-arebelspy

surur
10-22-2003, 08:21 AM
i despise real player. I almost refuse to watch things that only offer real content give me WMP and quicktime.

BBC streams are in real format, amd I find those particularly worthwhile.

Also I subscribe to Real Rhapsody, and I wish they made a portable way to listen to the music.

Surur

PeO
10-22-2003, 09:40 AM
I have asked this before without getting any answers but let's try again:

Is there anyone out there that has managed to watch streaming Real format video using their PDA and the RealOne player for PPC? If so, any comments on PPC 2003 compatibility?

The Real customer support just refuse to answer this question, maybe that's an indication...

I would be grateful for any comments on this issue.

suddenly_ike
10-22-2003, 09:54 AM
On PocketpcMedia (dutch site) there's a real-media section...

http://www.pocketpcmedia.nl/real.php3

Doesnt have a lot of streams, but its nice to test your realone player for pocketpc.

I've also read that the real one player for ppc doesnt supports streams higher than 200kbs..

mgd
10-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Is there anyone out there that has managed to watch streaming Real format video using their PDA and the RealOne player for PPC? If so, any comments on PPC 2003 compatibility?

I watch C-SPAN on my h5550 using the RealOne player. It works, although it hops, skips and jumps when it's not in the foreground (WMP doesn't do that). I'm not crazy about RealOne player, but I will install this preview just to see the changes.

quidproquo
10-22-2003, 12:22 PM
I too despise Real.... they try to take over your machine and want to upgrade all the time. Also, continually tries to become your default player for everything! :evil:

No thanks! If a site only has RM format, I just don't bother.....

(ok, enough whining now) :wink:

PeO
10-22-2003, 01:39 PM
I watch C-SPAN on my h5550 using the RealOne player. It works, although it hops, skips and jumps when it's not in the foreground (WMP doesn't do that). I'm not crazy about RealOne player, but I will install this preview just to see the changes.

I tried it, I get an error message "Response or data from server timed out". Do you have any hint on what I am doing wrong here?

(When checking "clip info" it seems like I am on speaking terms with the server and the proper files, but in the "loading" stage nothing happens except for the error message. In a desperate mode I tried to bypass my firewall, I still got the same result)

Any assistance will be appreciated!

jasonc
10-22-2003, 01:54 PM
I too hated the fact that the Real Player takes over your computer. Unfortunately, our university uses it for streaming their courses. I wrote an article on how to prevent all of those annoying pop-ups and advertisements.

http://www.lions.odu.edu/org/ats/mgtv/kbase/articles/04/index.htm

mgd
10-22-2003, 02:25 PM
I tried it, I get an error message "Response or data from server timed out". Do you have any hint on what I am doing wrong here?

(When checking "clip info" it seems like I am on speaking terms with the server and the proper files, but in the "loading" stage nothing happens except for the error message. In a desperate mode I tried to bypass my firewall, I still got the same result)

Any assistance will be appreciated!

Once I got access to the Internet, I needed no further configuring. In Options under Network Setting I have 80211B and 11Mbps selected, nothing more. Are you able to view streamed video using WMP? How about PIE? Are you able to surf the internet using PIE? Do you use a proxy?

that_kid
10-22-2003, 02:45 PM
I downloaded that about 2 months ago when I got my iPAq. This time, you're actually behind the news Janak! :shock:

Where did you find versin 2 at? I've seen someone else mention that there's a version 2 also.

mgd
10-22-2003, 03:56 PM

Where did you find versin 2 at? I've seen someone else mention that there's a version 2 also.

On the About screen, mine says Version:2.0.0.28 and I think it was included on the CD that came with my h5550 (or I downloaded it very recently from the Real.com site because I've only had my h5550 for about a month). And quite frankly, it's still crap!

suddenly_ike
10-22-2003, 04:37 PM
I did download and install version 1.1, but when I tap the about info. i get version 2.0.0.28...
Guess that 1.1 and 2.0.0.28 are the same...! :roll:

Kaber
10-22-2003, 05:11 PM
I remember a long time ago I got v1.0 to play the streams (I like listening to NPR). But since installing v1.1 I haven't been able to watch anything. Even the bookmarks included with the player (you know you click on the real symbol and it displays some options to check out like news, entertainment, etc.) timeout on me.

If it worked, I would be using it often. Instead I'm just too dissappointed in it to try anymore. If I copy clips from my desktop to the PPC it will play them though. WTF?

My PPC connects via 802.11, the AP is on a hub connected to the 2nd NIC in my XP box sharing DSL via MS ICS. Firewall up or down, no streams play for me. If I connect the AP directly to the DSL (avoiding MS ICS), it still doesn't work.

suddenly_ike
10-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Like I posted before...
take a look at
http://www.pocketpcmedia.nl/real.php3

This is a dutch site, but it has some streaming links for realone player on ppc...
It works for me.. I can watch C-span TV and listen to NPR radio
Try it...maybe you'll have better luck...

Kaber
10-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Thanks I'll try that.

PeO
10-22-2003, 08:56 PM
I've tried it...didn't work.

I am connecting my iPAQ 5550 via 802.11 to my Dlink 614 Router. The router connects with my Cable modem and the 2 Mbps line provided by my ISP (my ISP don't use any proxies). My desktop and my laptop are connected to the router - I have no problem with Real media on those, wired or wireless doesn't matter, it works fine. My conclusion is that my internet connection is OK.

Surfing the internet with PIE on my iPAQ works perfect and so does streaming media on WMP as well.

I have tried the RealOne mobile player version from the CD enclosed in the IPAQ box, I have also tried the "1.1" version from the Real Networks website (probably it's the same version since both of them are named 2.0.0.28 on the "About" screen). The last desperate measure was to install the 1.0 version - of course it didn't work.

Is this just a matter of crap software or is there a more complex explanation to be found out there?

Kaber
10-22-2003, 10:49 PM
That page isn't working on my iPAQ using v1.1.

Like the previous poster stated, my connection is fine, and I can play other online streaming media in WMP. Real just refuses to work over any network I try and use it on. It just times out saying it can't connect.

jwf
10-23-2003, 09:03 AM
Use use the 2.0.0.28 version quite successfully to timeshift BBC Radio shows for listening on my daily commute. It's pretty low in functionality though. For example, the playlist file isn't associated with the player by default, so you can't just click on the playlist file and have it play. Even if you do this association, the player doesn't understand the format of the playlist file when opened in this manner, so you've got to go through the crappy UI. Also, it doesn't play MP3s, which surprised me, as the desktop player tries to be all things to all men.

I've experimented with converting the .ra files to mp3 to play with WMP, but it's just too much hassle to go through regularly when the RealOne player (just about) does the job.

suddenly_ike
10-23-2003, 02:28 PM
That page isn't working on my iPAQ using v1.1.

Like the previous poster stated, my connection is fine, and I can play other online streaming media in WMP. Real just refuses to work over any network I try and use it on. It just times out saying it can't connect.

make sure that your version of realone is 2.0.0.28 (go to file-> about), because the latest d/l link says version 1.1 but is really 2.0.0.28
...so check that out..

Handy
10-23-2003, 03:53 PM
This version is pretty ancient, now. I tried it months ago and gave up on it. I'm not a big fan of Real content, but I like to listen to streaming radio stations and unfortunately lots of them use the Real format. Maybe the server software they provide is better than the client software.

That would be ok if the PPC player worked ok, but it's kind of a crappy beta thing and it only supports a limited subset of the stations that stream Real content. As I recall, the major problem is that it only handles TCP and not UDP.

As far as the desktop version, after you install it, you can set it up to neuter some of the annoying things it does. The main thing is to turn off the applet that sits in the Windows Tray and sucks up resources, etc. Still, I only use it when absolutely necessary.

Thinkingmandavid
10-23-2003, 05:18 PM
That is what I am wondering, where is v2 at?
I was at realone and I didnt see anything over there.
maybe i was missing something.
I have real as my default player because I like it. I dont have any trouble with it at all.

Handy
10-23-2003, 07:06 PM
Version 2.X = Version 1.1

When you download the version shown as V1.1 on the Real Website, it displays as Version 2.X

That's the way it's always been. Real is just confused about what the version numbers for this item.