View Full Version : samsung i700 GPS feature & maps

gizzzum
10-20-2003, 03:37 PM
so now i wonder does the GPS feature on the i700 allow u to interact in real time w/ GPS map programs for pocket PC.

has anyone experimented w/ this?

Janak Parekh
10-20-2003, 04:20 PM
Seeing as how the GPS feature isn't actually "turned on" on Verizon's CDMA network, the likelihood of this working at this point is nil. :( Even if the GPS location feature was enabled, I'm not sure how it would work.

To use GPS with an i700 right now, you'd have to get an SDIO GPS card, which are in the process of being released.

--janak

gizzzum
10-20-2003, 04:36 PM
so bottom line if verizon "turns on" their GPS we wouldnt need a card like the one below, is that correct?

iGolf To Make GPS SD Receiver Available
Posted By: Ryan on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 2:14:44 PM
iGolf Technologies has announced the addition of a SD GPS receiver to its line of GPS products. This new SD GPS receiver is the only GPS receiver available which is compatible with all Palm OS with a SDIO expansion slot. The SD GPS receiver will be packaged and sold with two GPS software applications, iGolfgps and Mapopolis.

The SD GPS receiver is a revolution in GPS technology. It is small, accurate and compatible with any PDA with a standard SDIO slot. It will be powered by the handheld battery. It's dimensions are 1mmL x 30mm W x 13.7mm. It uses a SiRF star IIeLP GPS chipset for accuracy of 1-3 yards.

When purchasing the SD GPS package, consumers will receive two software applications. iGolfgps provides golfers with distance measurements to the front, center and back of the green. This software allows the user to select four customizable locations, measure drive distance from the tee and includes an optional scorecard for up to four players.

Mapopolis provides navigation and driving directions for a specific region. Palm OS and Pocket PC users will enjoy a detailed map of their selected region, maps of the national highways, door-to-door driving directions, streets with addresses, cities, water features, landmarks and GPS support.

"Our GPS package is a tremendous value to our consumer. We have integrated three desirable products into one incredible, affordable package," said Dan Galatro, Vice President of Operations for iGolf Technologies.

The SD GPS package is currently available for pre-order for $299 USD; however, actual shipment is not expected until October 27, 2003. "We are encouraging all consumers to act quickly," stated Galatro. "We have a limited supply on hand to fulfill the first wave of orders."

Janak Parekh
10-20-2003, 05:22 PM
so bottom line if verizon "turns on" their GPS we wouldnt need a card like the one below, is that correct?
Not necessarily. The so-called "cellular GPS" may not be nearly as accurate as satellite GPS, which is what that SDIO card works with.

--janak

Dude
10-22-2003, 10:05 PM
A lot of people saying that wired GPS for I700 will not be possible to create... Because there is no serial port on it.

These folks think otherwise, they even put date when it is going to be ready :D
http://www.teletype.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1285&Category_Code=100

I guess if sync is possible then everything else can be connected to it...

gizzzum
10-24-2003, 02:02 PM
for the heads up on the GPS device.

dreampages
11-05-2003, 07:01 AM
There's now a GPS for the Samsung I700 form Pharos. Click below:

Pharos GPS Navigator for Samsung I700 Pocket PC Phone (http://www.dpcomputerstore.com/banner_img/?click-1050099145-1067984773)

Dude
11-05-2003, 02:28 PM
It is preoder also...
I guess they had problems with it too

:D The good news is that it is possible and they are working on it to make it happend...

dreampages
11-21-2003, 12:27 AM
We received the Samsung I700 GPS units from Pharos today (and for the Hitachi G1000). Just click on PocketPcThoughts' affiliate link 2 messages up to order.

Larry

MultiMatt
04-05-2004, 01:08 PM
I'll attest to the fact that the Pharos GPS (http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=2370&pf%5Fid=MP730964&listing=1&src=IGPPL) setup works just fine on the i700! I also use TomTom Navigator (http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=2320&pf%5Fid=MP731518&listing=1&src=IGPPL) without a problem (software only - they do not have a hardware solution for the i700. I use the Pharos hardware.)!

I'm in heaven again - I missed having GPS since switching from my iPAQ 5555 to the i700! Now I'm happily navigating along!!! :D