View Full Version : Your digital camera companion

Gremmie
10-20-2003, 03:15 AM
I'm curious what digital camera you all are using to accompany your pda. I'm more interested in full digital camera's, not so much the camera's that work out of the CF slot. How many of you bought a camera because it uses the same digital media (i.e. CF, SD)?

dean_shan
10-20-2003, 04:20 AM
I have a Canon Powershot S200. I use my PPC when I am on vacations to transfer pics to my SD card if I run out of CF Memory.

gvanjr
10-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Bought the camera before the Axim:
Kodak LS 443 4.0 megapixel...works great, easy to learn and use.

mrkablooey
10-20-2003, 12:05 PM
nikon coolpix 775. uses CF so I can put the card right into the iPaq and view the pics on the larger screen. :)

hollis_f
10-20-2003, 01:50 PM
How many of you bought a camera because it uses the same digital media (i.e. CF, SD)?When I buy my next digicam it will, like the previous four, have to use CF cards. Not because that means I can use my iPAQ tov iew pictures (I could do that with SD) but because I have so many CF cards already (1x1GB, 2x256MB, 1x80MB, 4x64MB plus innumerable 8MB cards that are never used).

rzanology
10-20-2003, 03:15 PM
im using the panasonic sv-av20. Its good for taking pics and videos. Very handy!!!! Fits right on the waiste with no problem too.

CTSLICK
10-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Olympus 2100-UZ...sure its old, big and only 2 megapixels BUT its got a great lens and I love my 10x optical zoom with stabilization.

JTWise
10-20-2003, 04:16 PM
Canon G2. The use of CF slot was definately a factor as I had all kins of the media laying around. Works great with my Axim.

PoweriPaq
10-20-2003, 04:38 PM
Nikon Coolpix 4500 and use my PC Card sleeve with the CF adapter to view my pictures, but I bought my camera before my iPaq.

Gremmie
10-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Olympus 2100-UZ...sure its old, big and only 2 megapixels BUT its got a great lens and I love my 10x optical zoom with stabilization.

Yeah, those are great camera's. But that is SmartMedia right? Do you use it with your PDA via any adapter? I love Olympus, and part of this post was trying to find a way to justify an Olympus purchase. If not, it'll have to be a Nikon or Canon.

Video11
10-21-2003, 01:52 AM
Canon Powershot A70 with CF for memory. And yep, one of the reasons I bought the Canon was because I already had a bunch of CF cards for my Jornada 565. It's nice being able to swap the card into the Jornada and use the bigger screen to see the pictures. Also bought a SanDisk ImageMate 6 in 1 USB card reader for the desktop.

JustinGTP
10-21-2003, 01:55 AM
I have the Sony Erricson T300 with the CommuniCam MCA25, its quite fun and tiny. I transfer the pics across to my iPAQ 2215 via infared :D

-Justin.

ledpocket
10-21-2003, 05:47 AM
Pentax optio s. upgraded from a casio exelim ex-s2, and before that a canon s100, and before that 5 different olympus models.

The pentax uses sd, 3x optical, 3mp, macro and super macro modes, etc etc.

The cool thing is - it fits in an altoids tin (for a hard carrying case). Very sweet, very small.

CTSLICK
10-21-2003, 03:09 PM

Yeah, those are great camera's. But that is SmartMedia right? Do you use it with your PDA via any adapter? I love Olympus, and part of this post was trying to find a way to justify an Olympus purchase. If not, it'll have to be a Nikon or Canon.

Yes its SmartMedia and no I don't use it with any adapter...yet. I haven't really looked for a CF card adapter for a smartmedia card but its next on the accessory list since I just put a check mark by CF WiFi card. :)

Haven't some of the new Oly's gone to the Xd card format? Yet another "standard" ...sigh :roll:

Itanium
10-21-2003, 05:33 PM
I have got Minolta F100. Its a 4MP device with SD card. The picture quality is second to none and manual controls are excellent.

xendula
10-21-2003, 06:44 PM
Fuji Finepix 4700. I looked forever for this camera, because it works with regular batteries, so I can just carry a bunch of rechargeable AAs in the case. Unfortunately, it uses Smart Media cards (bought it before the ppc). Next camera I buy will be SD and SD only!
Haven't some of the new Oly's gone to the Xd card format? Yet another "standard" ...sigh :roll:
All of the lower end models have switched to xd-cards, as have the Fujis. Those two companies are the only ones using the new format as far as I know :evil: How stupid is that!

CTSLICK
10-21-2003, 10:15 PM
Fuji Finepix 4700. I looked forever for this camera, because it works with regular batteries, so I can just carry a bunch of rechargeable AAs in the case.

Oh yes...another great thing about my Olympus 2100UZ, like you I can use AA's in a pinch. This is getting to be a hard feature to find...more and more proprietary batteries.

ignar
10-21-2003, 10:36 PM
I have Pentax Optio S and Olympus C4000z. Optio for everyday use, and Olympus for multiday trips.

peppzilla
10-21-2003, 11:34 PM
I have a Canon S45. No one ever talks about it, but it's a great camera. Lot's of manual options. I don't carry it around with me all the time, though, because it is way too thick. I would love to get an Exilim.

I have the Sony Erricson T300 with the CommuniCam MCA25...

I was surprised by the quality of the pictures from the CommuniCam when I saw some recently. Very nice.

Jereboam
10-22-2003, 04:40 AM
Just moved up from a Fuji FinePix F402 to a FinePix F700 which is an awesome camera. Only problem is that it uses xD cards, which can't be popped straight into the iPaq...although for Pocket PC's with a CF slot you can get a CF adapter...

In any case, I am not usually far from my laptop, which means I just use Resco Viewer to create albums to carry with me...which saves space anyway.

I was almost forced to move up a notch, because on a recent trip by sea from Seattle to LA the smaller FinePix, which doesn't have any manual controls over shutter speed and so on, gave me a fine collection of photos of dolphin butts. It wasn't quick enough to catch them as they were coming out of the water... ;)

Carrying photos around with me has to be one of the best uses for my Pocket PC...we are a pretty international family (spread out over Russia, Spain, Switzerland, England, US, Ireland, Brazil and probably some more) so we often get to meet quite randomly...and having recent photos of family and friends instantly to hand to show them is great.

J'bm

JustinGTP
10-22-2003, 05:13 AM
I have the Sony Erricson T300 with the CommuniCam MCA25...

I was surprised by the quality of the pictures from the CommuniCam when I saw some recently. Very nice.

I know, so was I, for a Camera that small! I like it simple, Im not the avid photographer, if I need pixels ill borrow my mum's Fuji 4 megapixel somethingorother!

-Justin.