View Full Version : Interesting spot of a Pocket PC in the real world...

Jereboam
10-19-2003, 03:29 AM
Just watching the news, out here in sunny Moscow, and noticed during the piece about Russian police checking up on Chechens coming into Moscow by train, that one of the officers was checking identification documents against what I guess was a database on a Pocket PC, looked like a Russified Pocket PC called Rover that is popular out here.

In a country where the beat police are staggeringly underpaid and there isn't much in the way of funding for training and gadgets, I thought this was worth mentioning.

Any other unusual spots of Pocket PC use?

J'bm

Thinkingmandavid
10-19-2003, 04:11 AM
That is interesting. I wonder how much it cost or worth over there.
What i am thinking is that even being under paid, it goes to show when someone really cares about what they do, even in a society where it seems that they actions of one person do not make one bit of difference. food for thought time :wink:

JvanEkris
10-19-2003, 02:19 PM
Well, i spotted three in the last months: First was the guy measuring the meter-man. He used a ruggedized symbol to enter the data. He was quite satisfied. Secondly i saw yesterday, a quite funny one. The dutch police use it to write down offenders :devilboy: . They were writing parking-tickets on a symbol PPC (given the heated situation with some people, i didn't dare to ask if the product was appreciated)....... Most pleasant one was in a pub :D , where the waitresses were taking the orders on an iPaq, combined with a WiFi card directly connecting to cash-register and the bar. By the time they got to the bar, the drinks were already ready to take away. Saves a lot of time

Jaap

mrkablooey
10-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Most pleasant one was in a pub :D , where the waitresses were taking the orders on an iPaq, combined with a WiFi card directly connecting to cash-register and the bar. By the time they got to the bar, the drinks were already ready to take away. Saves a lot of time

I've seen this at Baltimore Orioles baseball games, kinda nice. :)

Thinkingmandavid
10-20-2003, 04:16 AM
mmm, where in baltimore. I just moved to baltimore in August. I would like to see that. Interestingly enough, a friend and I months ago had talked about the usefulness of an iqap and wireless service in restaurants, such as sams boat.
take order, goes directly to kitchen and to register. so it saves on time and money.