View Full Version : HP 5555 asking for Proxy when connecting to my home wireless network

bogey
10-17-2003, 01:15 AM
I have a wireless setup at home with a linksys cable router. I set up everything straight out of the box with no changes (not security concerned since I live at the end of the road). I don't have WEP and kept the SSID as linksys.

New HP 5555 finds the network but when I try to use IE it says I need to enter a Proxy?

I've got a plain vanilla PCMCIA 802.11b for my laptop and a linksys 802.11 adapter for my other desktop and have no problems getting out on the net. I know just engough to get myself in trouble and was hoping this would work out the box like the other stuff.

Any ideas....

Crazie.Eddie
10-19-2003, 07:41 AM
THe address should be your router. I forget what the default IP address is. If you don't know, you can figure it out. On your laptop, if you have Windows 95/98, type WINIPCFG (Windows 2000/XP type IPCONFIG /ALL) and look for the DHCP server address. This should be your router address also.

BTW, where do you live? I just want to know so in case I'm in the neighborhood, I know where to get free internet access. :mrgreen:

Mark_Venture
10-19-2003, 05:41 PM
THe address should be your router.

No. SOHO routers like Linksys BEFSR11/31/41/81, or wireless routers like BEFW11S4 or WRT54G are NOT proxy servers.

New HP 5555 finds the network but when I try to use IE it says I need to enter a Proxy?

I have an iPAQ 2215 with WM2003, here is how I did it on mine...

On the iPAQ, go Start -> Settings -> Connections tab... Click on the Connections icon. Click the Advanced tab. Then click the Select Network button. Change both drop down boxes to "My Work Network." Next, for EACH click the edit button and go to the Proxy Settings tab and check "This network connects to the Internet." REMOVE the "This network uses a Proxy Server to..."

Full guide of how I setup my Linksys and Wi-Fi... http://marzano.home.att.net/mobile/iPAQ-wi-fi.htm