View Full Version : Serious Discussion: What apps are needed for PPC

mjhamson
10-16-2003, 10:03 PM
I would like to gather information on what people believe to be the missing and/or poorly written applications for the Pocket PC platform.

While I have my own ideas, I do not represent anyone but myself. So you know up front, my goal is to have a better understanding of the market place in the minds of the users. -michael

upplepop
10-16-2003, 10:21 PM
Here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16178)(The Missing Application?) is a good thread on appliations suggestions.

mjhamson
10-17-2003, 12:08 AM
thanks (I should have remembered this thread)

shawn_rizzoli
10-17-2003, 02:58 AM
A program to do a one way sync with a calendar. So download but not upload.

mjhamson
10-17-2003, 03:24 AM
shawn: is that the only thing about a calendar that you feel is missing? are there other bits of functionality that need to be added and/or improved upon?

shawn_rizzoli
10-17-2003, 03:32 AM
shawn: is that the only thing about a calendar that you feel is missing? are there other bits of functionality that need to be added and/or improved upon?

Well right now I'm using Pocket Informant and it seems to satisfy my needs. Do you think it would be possible to make a program that you could choose which way to sync?

mjhamson
10-17-2003, 04:06 AM
Shawn: some applications already allow you to do this... or at least set prefernces in resolving conflicts. Though I must admit that the process is not as smooth as it should be for most.

Thinkingmandavid
10-17-2003, 12:40 PM
NOt only which way to sync, but allow you to sync to more than one device wihtout hassle. So as example, a husband and wife syncing two ppcs' on the same outlook, keeping some info separate and some info together. I just feel the syncing needs a lot more variety. here is what i am saying, more customized syncing, and i mean customized, nothing wimpy.

shawn_rizzoli
10-17-2003, 05:34 PM
EXACTLY!!

Mitchybums
10-18-2003, 04:07 PM
An upload/Download meter in the top bar would be nice. I tried some of the gprs monitors, but they have too much. Just a simple up.down speed next to the clock that shows up when connected (bluetooth GPRS or wifi) would be nice.
A weather today plugin that actualy fits stylishly with the other plugins.
Many of the addon plugins have either bigger icons, or the alignment of the text or pictures doesnt look right.

Applauncher buttons with changeable icons on the today screen. Again stylishly fitting with the already running today plugins.

Webbrowser with a landscape option that doesnt require a connection to a special server (Thunderhawk)

Linux Windowmaker Dockapps ported to pocketpc, and a nice way to have them on your today screen. Maybe combined with different windowmanagers for pocketpc. Windows has WinStep, Blackbox as example for windowmanagers that replace the default explorer. If you can replace the standard interface for something else, that would be awesome. Still the same compatibility with Windows Mobile apps, but a completely customizable look ala linux

On my laptop I used to have fluxbox windowmanager running with some self reprogrammed (resized) dockapps to fit my theme style.
Looked pretty cool.

Prob more, but thats it for now.

Thinkingmandavid
10-19-2003, 04:17 AM
Now there should be a way to forward posts from this site to developers that are really interested in developing product/software that would actually not only meet the needs of ppc users, but be flexible to many users of all backgrounds and wants.
is it me or do we have to many softwares that are narrowly developed?

mjhamson
10-19-2003, 07:09 AM
is it me or do we have to many softwares that are narrowly developed?
Exactly!!!!

AL904a
10-19-2003, 12:45 PM
I have always been disappointed with the Email client included in Pocket PC.

I used nPOP, to check my POP3 accounts at the mail servers, and delete unwanted messages, before I download wanted messages.

However, I would be willing to pay for a decent email client that would do it all.