View Full Version : WiFi ActiveSync With Windows Mobile 2003?

Janak Parekh
10-16-2003, 08:00 PM
I'm hearing quite a few disturbing reports about WiFi ActiveSync not working with WM2003. The most common symptom I'm hearing is that the connection is made, but ActiveSync just goes into "Guest" and sits there, even if a partnership was established and ActiveSync was upgraded to 3.7.1.<br /><br />This all came to a head yesterday when one of my officemates upgraded his 3970 from PPC2002 (where he used ActiveSync over WiFi frequently) to WM2003. Immediately after doing so, he installed the WiFi drivers and tried to establish the connection. It found the desktop, but he got the dreaded "Guest" connection. Hours on the phone with HP didn't help either.<br /><br />What's your experience?

Duncan
10-16-2003, 08:12 PM
Despite trying very hard to follow the guides to this I've never been able to make WiFi AS connect as anything other than a guest - in PPC 2002 or 2003. I'm in awe of those who have managed it. Luckily I'm always in BT range (hard not be)!!!

opus
10-16-2003, 08:12 PM
If anyone has found that Wi-Fi Sync works for them with Windows Mobile 2003, could you post something in the forums about your setup? Like which card are you using, are you using PocketHosts or something else, etc.

Thanks.

-- Opus, the officemate Janak referred to in his post...

dean_shan
10-16-2003, 08:14 PM
You need a "Have PPC2002 but still want to vote" option. :wink:

Janak Parekh
10-16-2003, 08:17 PM
You need a "Have PPC2002 but still want to vote" option. :wink:
I understand, but that's a separate issue. :) There seem to be quite a few people who had it working with Pocket PC 2002 but can't get it to work with Windows Mobile 2003, and I'm trying to gauge how widespread it is.

--janak

dunneldeen
10-16-2003, 08:18 PM
I was having trouble with syncing before the newest (3.7.1) activesync release. If you are having trouble, try upgrading activesync.

palmsolo
10-16-2003, 08:24 PM
This is the only way I ActiveSync at home and it works with my correct username/device ID every time. I am using a D-Link Wireless Air CF card in my iPAQ 2215, but I have also used the SanDisk SD WiFi card without a hitch.

opus
10-16-2003, 08:24 PM
I was having trouble with syncing before the newest (3.7.1) activesync release. If you are having trouble, try upgrading activesync.
I only upgraded to 2003 because I saw that 3.7.1 was out with its "guest login issues fixed" blurb. That's the one I'm unsuccesfully trying to use.

-- Opus

opus
10-16-2003, 08:26 PM
This is the only way I ActiveSync at home and it works with my correct username/device ID every time. I am using a D-Link Wireless Air CF card in my iPAQ 2215, but I have also used the SanDisk SD WiFi card without a hitch.
Are you using PocketHosts to identify the system you're connecting to?

-- Opus

palmsolo
Since I use Activesync at work through the cradle the one rather annoying thing that I do have to do at home is to go into Activesync then taps Tools>Options>PC tab and change my Use this PC: pulldown from my work PC to my home PC.

EddieH28
i get a network error as soon as i try to activesync with wifi. what steps do you need to take in order to do a wifi activesync session without errors?

Steven Cedrone
10-16-2003, 08:27 PM
My problems went away when I uninstalled Pocket Hosts. I was going nuts trying to find the answer...

Here is the thread that enlightened me (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17165&highlight=pocket+hosts)... :wink:

Steve

Duncan
10-16-2003, 08:28 PM
AS 3.7.1 has caused some Loox owners to only be able to connect as a guest full-stop when they were fine with 3.7. I wonder if this is a 3.7.1 problem rather then WM2003?

palmsolo
10-16-2003, 08:28 PM
No I am not familiar with PocketHosts. To get Activesync working initially I went into the Network Card setup area and put in all the specifics for my home network. I was able to surf via WiFi without this, but I found using PPC2002 that I needed to put in my network/desktop specific ID information to get it going.

Ollie03031
10-16-2003, 08:29 PM
It is not just WiFi but also with a direct cable ethernet connection. I have both a Dell with Pocket PC 2002 and an iPAQ 2210. I can plug in my socket ethernet card into the Dell and it will connect and sync. I plug in the 2210 and it will only connect as a guest. The iPAQ has never been able to connect over the network as anything other then a guest. I have an NT desktop and I upgraded to Active Sync 3.7.1.
I can connect with a serial or IR connection to the desktop with no problems.

jacperi
10-16-2003, 08:32 PM
I also had trouble when I upgraded my 5450 from 2002 to 2003. I had used Pocket Hosts and Netgrabber to sync and gain access to my shared files with 2002, but when I tried to use both under 2003 to sync, I got annoying prompts to set up a VPN connection. My solution was pure brute force and eliminate any problems that I created by starting fresh with a hard reset - not a huge loss given I had been running 2003 for just a few days. Once I hard reset, I did a cradle sync, installed both wireless upgrades from HP and then before installing any other software tried to AS. What do you know, it worked the first time I tried. And even better by using File Explorer I was able to type in my shared folder's name and had no problems gaining access to my PC. I have reinstalled every program I had installed before the hard reset and so far so good. I even noticed I had an easier time finding and hooking up to wireless networks around NYC. My guess is that I might have messed up installing the wireless updates from HP the first time around and with a hard reset I cleaned out any problem in my setup.

suhit
10-16-2003, 08:34 PM
I have not gotten it to work after much trying, I am stuck with the stupid Guest connection crap. Here is a list of events in my disastrous attempt to get it to work (trying with an iPaq 2215 with Windows Mobile 2003) -

1) Order Socket Low Power Wi-Fi card :) . It gave me the Guest connection. I figured that the card was bad since the card was generally flaky. :evil:

2) Send it back to CDW and asked to a replacement. New one comes in, same problem, though other flakinesses disappear.

3) Call Socket. They give me Beta drivers. Doesn't fix problems. :(

4) Call CDW, return Socket Card and get a Linksys WCF12. Nice card, no flakiness, power hog, and doesn't work with Mobile 2003. Used the Senao drivers (quoted on PPCT) which got the Wi-Fi to work but doesn't fix the Guest connection problem.

5) Punch fist in door. Howl like hell. :evil:

6) With new determination :idea: , I call HP thinking that it may be a hardware problem. They recommend I reinstall IE6. Apparently this is a fix provided by Microsoft. I found this awfully odd so I asked to be upgraded to level-2 support. That guy said that though IE6 is a solution given by MSFT, it does nothing. Instead I should try using the Asus WL100 or WL110 card driver and use prismnds.dll when prompted for the card/driver name on the PocketPC . So I download that (not easy to get from a badly designed Asus website). It didn't work. :evil:

7) Call Linksys, asking them for their own 2003 drivers. They say that they don't have any drivers for 2003, but after much haggling, they give me their beta drivers. I was happy for only about 2 minutes until I installed the drivers and they didn't work :(

8) Try Sandisk SD Wi-Fi. Did not help.

9) Tired, too late, I don't care anymore. Give up.

10) 2 days later, office-mate upgrades iPaq 3975 from 2002 to 2003. Initially working over Wi-Fi to connect (for 2002), and then it stopped working (2003). No he is mad.

11) Tries reinstalling IE6. Doesn't work :(

12) We ask Janak to make this post :twisted:

ARGH!!! It basically has to be Windows Mobile 2003. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong. NOTE: I have used PocketHosts, so I guess I should remove that now and try again.

Suhit

Ramin
10-16-2003, 08:42 PM
What's your experience?

Well, it works with Bluetooth! :mrgreen:

(Excuse me, ;) I just couldn't resist... after reading Ed Hansberry's recent thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19436&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)) :lol:

Ed Hansberry
10-16-2003, 08:51 PM
The only time I ever had a problem I tracked it back to a bad DNS entry in our server. Since 1998 though I've been either ActiveSyncing or Windows CE Servicing (remember those days? yuck) via RAS, wired and wireless etherenet in various LANs with no problems.

I do understand though that some have issues. It could be network infrastructure issues though that XP/2000 boxes don't care about (WINS for example) that the PPC seems to get up in arms about.

peppzilla
10-16-2003, 08:57 PM
I can sync just fine with my 5555, but for some reason, I can't transfer files or install applications over WiFi. It will start transferring, but then hang and disconnect. I have to reboot the PC to get ActiveSync to work again, even for syncing. I have the hard drive mapped in Resco File Explorer, and transferring files works fine with that, though.

EvilOne
10-16-2003, 09:13 PM
I used to be able to sync over WiFi, but then I upgraded to 3,7,1 and now the PDA shows some box that says it can't start the communications over on the PC.

joshu
10-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Hi :D ,

The issue is known:
To correct the problem, just disconnect from Internet
(or Network). Then, all is OK, you're not a guest anymore.

For peppzilla: unable Power Save on both device.

@ bientot ;) ,
Joshu.

bdeli
10-16-2003, 09:40 PM
With PPC2002 and ActiveSync 3.7 wifi worked without any problems. To get it work with with PPC2003 I had to first create a VPN connection in XP and do Activesync via the vpn whenever i sync via wifi (which is always). I did not manage to get wifi working the same old way (sans vpn) with PPC 2003 and Activesync 3.7.1 did not do any difference.

For the record I am using a Linksys WCF12 Card + WinXP Pro + AS 3.7.1

Dave Beauvais
10-16-2003, 09:41 PM
I've had zero problems before and after the WM2003 upgrade on my iPAQ h5455. (And my Toshiba e740 before that, and Casio E-200 with Socket WiFi card before that.)

Configuration: Desktop OS: Windows XP Professional SP1 ActiveSync: v3.7 Outook: XP (2002) Notebook wireless LAN adapter: Lucent/Agere/Proxim ORiNOCO Gold card with native WinXP drivers Notebook wired LAN adapter: Internal 3Com 3C920 Access point: Linksys WAP11 v2.2[list:4bb2925341] Firmware: v1.1 Encryption: Enabled, 128-bit WEP MAC address filtering: Enabled SSID broadcasting: Disabled Router: D-Link DI-604 Firmware: v3.20[/list:u:4bb2925341]
On the Pocket PC side, the WLAN adapter is set to connect to "Work." This allows me to connect to the Internet without an ActiveSync connection and to use ActiveSync. I can connect to my notebook whether it's connected to the LAN using its internal 10/100 ethernet adapter or the PC Card WLAN adapter. I've never had to specify a hostname, modify WINS server settings, or anything else that some have had to do to get this to work.

I know everyone's systems are different, but the fact that I've never had any problems doing this over three Pocket PCs and three complete reinstalls of my notebook with two different operating systems (Win2K and WinXP) has always made me wonder why some people have so many problems with this.

--Dave

theon
10-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Being a first time user of Wifi maybe has made it difficult on me to connect I guess. I've tried differnt forums and followed them all. My PC and 5450 seem to detect each other but I could never get it to sync or access the internet.

Out of the blue, it just managed to connect and now I'm faced with the 'guest' issue that is mentioned.

I tried the HP support internet channel and it's been 8 days since I've had a response. I guess I've just about given up now.

Funnily enough, I've had no issues with Bluetooth at all. sigh...

x94webboy
10-16-2003, 10:57 PM
This is how I got it to work:

while wifi connection is on-
tap on connectivity taskbar icon
tap settings
tap on advanced tab
tap select networks button
both my dropdown boxes say My Work Network

Launch Activesync and click sync

Using Activesync 3.7.1 and WM2003

hope this helps

Stealthboy
10-16-2003, 11:16 PM
There have been quite a few posts about the WiFi Activesync Guest issue on Usenet as well, but there have been no solutions. Some "Helpful" people mention installing PocketHosts, but that doesn't seem to help because it's not a name resolution issue...something is wrong with Activesync. The PocketPC can ping and connect to the Activesync Host PC, but, for some reason, it will only connect as Guest. When my Axim was still running the PPC2002 OS, I never had this issue.

Here's my setup...
PocketPC: Dell Axim X5 Advanced A05 WM2003 w/ Linksys WCF12 card using Senao WinCE 4.0 driver

Home: WindowsXP Pro SP1 Desktop with all available updates from MS WindowsUpdate site, D-Link DI-614+ WAP/Router (64-bit WEP)

Work: Windows2000 Pro SP4 Laptop with all available updates from MS WindowsUpdate site, Intermec 2101 WAP (no WEP)

I sync via Activesnyc on both PCs (Files, Avantgo, Favorites at Home & Contacts, Tasks, Inbox, Favorites, Calendar, Notes, Files, Avantgo at Work) I'm able to connect and sync every time to my home PC via WiFi, but I typically end up connected as guest on my work PC. I've tried a hard-reset and made sure to soft-reset the PocketPC after changing its name before doing an initial sync via USB(MS says not soft-reseting after changing device name can cause this problem) and this did not resolve the issue. I've also tried various combinations in the Network Management settings (My Work Network, My ISP) and none of them seemed to fix it.

Since updating my Axim to WM2003(and Outlook 2003 around the same time) I've noticed the following:

1. I'm more likely to connect and sync successfully on my work PC if it is the first sync after rebooting the PC.

2. Under PPC2002 when the device was cradled or connected via WiFi, as I deleted items in my Inbox, they would be deleted off of the PocketPC instantly as well. This does not occur now with WM2003. It isn't until I disconnect and reconnect that the items in Inbox are synced again. Files, Calendar, Notes, Tasks all still sync instantly.

I saw no differences after updating to AS 3.7.1. Hopefully, by sharing all of our stories, we'll be able to find what is causing this.

bdeli
10-16-2003, 11:32 PM
This is how I got it to work:

while wifi connection is on-
tap on connectivity taskbar icon
tap settings
tap on advanced tab
tap select networks button
both my dropdown boxes say My Work Network

Launch Activesync and click sync

Using Activesync 3.7.1 and WM2003

hope this helps

Thanks - this worked without me having to set up a vpn connection!

joe30306
10-16-2003, 11:37 PM
ActiveSync over WiFi works fine for me. Never had any problems. And I hope it continues to work fine after I install the newly-released ROM upgrade for h5555 in a few minutes !

Joe

My setup:
iPaq 5555
Windows XP Pro
ActiveSync version 3.7 (build 3083)
Outlook XP, SP-2
Linksys WAP11 version 2.2 (128 bit WEP)
filter MAC address
No SSID broadcast

Rob Borek
10-17-2003, 12:16 AM
There are many people that have reported this problem in the microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync newsgroup... unfortunately I've been unable to isolate the pooblem, but logs of the problem have been sent to MS.

For a great FAQ for Activesync, go to http://www.cewindows.net

gorkon280
10-17-2003, 02:34 AM
I wonder if this is specific to devices without builtin WiFi? I have never had an issue with any host os or PPC. I have had a e740 and a iPaq 5555. Initial setup can be difficult but its usually something like invalid settings in connection manager. Try Internet as your setting. Also, make sure you have synced with the desktop by serial or USB and have the correct PC selected on your PPC.

Cypher
10-17-2003, 02:57 AM
I had my 2215 iPAQ for several months before I finally got it to work. In my case, the culprit was Journal Bar. The program sets up it's own sub-folders in the /profiles folder, named... you guessed it "guest". That, in turn seems to confuse ActiveSync into connecting as Guest. When I told Journal Bar to store it's data elsewhere during installation after a hard-reset, everything worked as it should.

Not only can I ActiveSync over WiFi, but I can ActiveSync over BlueTooth through the Network Access profile as well as the Serial Port Emulation. (So BlueTooth isn't dead for me. It isn't even slightly lethargic :))

jkendrick
10-17-2003, 03:01 AM
When I was using a Toshiba 740 syncing over WIFI was never a problem for me but I had a lot of dropped connections and an occasional guest connection. One of Toshiba's ROM updates fixed all those problems and everything worked fine from that point on.

Since switching to a Toshiba 755 with WM2003 preinstalled I have experienced no problems at all. There was no special setup required- it all worked right out of the box.

butch
10-17-2003, 03:12 AM
My problems went away when I uninstalled Pocket Hosts. I was going nuts trying to find the answer...

Here is the thread that enlightened me (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17165&highlight=pocket+hosts)... :wink:

Steve

Wow! That was stupid! It works for me too. THANKS! :)

EvilOne
10-17-2003, 04:01 AM

Steve

I finally got my WiFi to sync again with AS 3,7,1. What I did was added Pocket Hosts and put my computer's IP address in, then I changed the entry underneath the Profiles folder to the account that I use to log on to the machine and voila it started syncing again. And if I try to remove the settings that I put into Pocket Hosts I just get the same error communication message that I got before.

Rob Borek
10-17-2003, 04:34 AM

Steve

I finally got my WiFi to sync again with AS 3,7,1. What I did was added Pocket Hosts and put my computer's IP address in, then I changed the entry underneath the Profiles folder to the account that I use to log on to the machine and voila it started syncing again. And if I try to remove the settings that I put into Pocket Hosts I just get the same error communication message that I got before.

Which entry underneath the Profiles folder? And which version of Windows?

ctmagnus
10-17-2003, 04:56 AM
I had issues but disabled my desktop's IP in pocket hosts and now it works like charm.

(Where do you think Steve got the idea from? ;) )

hulksmash
10-17-2003, 06:15 AM
I used to sync over wifi all the time with 2002. Since upgrading to 2003 I haven't been able to sync for the past 4 months or so (feels like it at least). I just followed the recommendation of the third post and upgraded to 3.71 and I am syncing via wifi as I type this without having to reconfigure it at all. I am sooooo STOKED now that my WIFI sync capability is back on track! Not only THAT but on PPC 2003 it is NOTICEABLY faster to sync via WIFI on PPC 2003! :werenotworthy: :rock on dude!: :way to go: :beer:

Brad Adrian
10-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Not only can I ActiveSync over WiFi, but I can ActiveSync over BlueTooth...
Show off!

EvilOne
10-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Which entry underneath the Profiles folder? And which version of Windows?

I have an iPAQ 5555 WM 2003. Actually I looked in Windows\Profiles and renamed the Guest folder to something else and AS created a new Guest folder within there and it seemed to work. At first I thought changing the Guest folder (original one) that I saw to the account that I use to log on to my box was needed, but then I noticed that the system created a new Guest folder again and all seems to be just fine. But like I said, I also had to use PocketHosts because of some strange communication errors which just started to happen on AS 3,7,1. Hope that this helps.

[Gav]
10-17-2003, 01:22 PM
Hi there;

I have a 5450 with Active Sync 3.7.0 and I can sync fine.
I think (like others mentioned here) it might be something to do with the whole "My network card connects to: Internet / Work" thing (plucking at straws since I have not seen the problem for my self).

Which leads me to....
Does anyone know how your can get round the whole internet / work thing.
ie
If I want to sync or use active desktop over wifi I need to select "connect to work" (it doesn't work if I select "Internet")
If I want to check my mail or browse the web (well as best you can on a PDA ;) I need to select "My network card connects to Internet". (it doesn't work if I select "work").

Does anyone know a way of telling it that although I am connected to "work" I have a gateway (that the wifi knows about) that can get access to the net so can check mail etc?

Cheers

slothdog
10-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Works for me.... My problem is that ActiveSync repeatedly crashes and disappears when I switch users in XP Pro. Any tips on that?

Janak Parekh
10-17-2003, 04:34 PM
I finally got my WiFi to sync again with AS 3,7,1. What I did was added Pocket Hosts and put my computer's IP address in, then I changed the entry underneath the Profiles folder to the account that I use to log on to the machine and voila it started syncing again.
Fantastic tip! I think I know all the nuances of getting this to work. I'll make a frontpage post this afternoon or tomorrow about it.

--janak

Dave Beauvais
10-17-2003, 07:56 PM
]... Does anyone know how your can get round the whole internet / work thing. ... If I want to check my mail or browse the web (well as best you can on a PDA ;) I need to select "My network card connects to Internet". (it doesn't work if I select "work"). ...
This is another of those problems I've never experienced and don't really understand. I've always set my Pocket PCs to connect to "work" and can always get out to the Internet with or without an ActiveSync pass-through connection. I wish I knew why this didn't work for other folks.

--Dave

BeaSStMaster
10-18-2003, 04:16 AM
Actually, I was having periodic trouble synching before upgrading to PPC 2003. (iPAQ h5455) Since then, I can't think of any problems that I've encountered except having to reset after synching with USB in the cradle and then attempting to synch via WiFi. Yep, it all works fine. I upgraded this week to ActiveSynch 3.7.1 without any problems and the synch appears to be a bit faster both with USB and WiFi. Count me as "happy".

sonofpear
11-04-2003, 05:10 AM
I have no problems with activesync over our wireless network at the office. From outside (home wireless, t-mobile) I have no problems VPN ing into the office. I can ping all workstations and servers and they can ping my PPC. However, I can not activesync under this vpn/wireless scenario. Any ideas? Do I need to open any ports on my side or the office side to allow flow? HELP!!!

0X