View Full Version : Ipaq 2200 - Switches itself off

rustoni
10-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else had a problem with their Ipaq 22xx switching itself off when they first turn it on after it has been left for 15 mins or more ?

When i switch the ipaq on it turns off after a second or two and then all is ok when i switch it on again for the second time then this all happens again after i don't use the ipaq for 15 mins or more....Help it is becoming really annoying should i take it back to dixons as i have only had it for a come of months.

Cheers

Ian

JustinGTP
10-16-2003, 06:07 PM
Do you have the turn off after X minutes feature on?

bigbadboss101
10-17-2003, 05:16 AM
Yeah, I turned off that setting but it still happens. Got another battery and same thing. Note that it turns off probably 15 or so seconds after initial turn on and don't happen again after I repower on. No idea, but surely annoying. IT didn't happen when I first got it. I have heard others who encountered the same. Should contact HP?

iainphil
10-17-2003, 06:13 AM
Might have something to do with third-party software. I had exactly the same problem; after a hard reset, and not re-installing any programs other than those supplied by HP, the problem disappeared

bigbadboss101
10-17-2003, 07:21 AM
Could be. The funny thing is I couldn't duplicate the problem tonight. I went to the hp site and ended up doing the live support chat with a guy. I told him the problem, and he said it is an known issue and the engineers are working on it. They will release a 'softpaq' later on. He said to look for it here: http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/index.html?cat=iPAQ%20Internet%20Devices

Anyways he went on and asked me to do a backup, sync to laptop, and a hard reset. Then I did a restore.

rustoni
10-17-2003, 08:51 AM
Cheers for the info guys i'll give that a go and wait for the softpaq. Glad to know other people have been affected by this issue.

Ian

jeffx
10-18-2003, 11:05 PM
I have been experiencing the same problem lately. Hopefully to be fixed by a ROM update soon.

griph
10-20-2003, 10:52 PM
I have been experiencing the same problem lately. Hopefully to be fixed by a ROM update soon.

Interesting. I too have a 2210 and have been experiencing this, along with slow load of Today Plug-ins (appears as blank stripes where Program Bar, Journal Bar and bottom task bar should be - for about 2 seconds) - it was really p***ing me off. I first thought this may be linked to use of a microdrive as it reads on start up - but removing same made no difference. What I did try then was to deactivate Password protection on the 2210. Now on switch on the PDA behaves as I would expect it to! Even after a Soft Reset - do others here have password active, and if deactivated does it cure the problem?

Please try and let me know if repeatable? OK - not happy to deactivate Password - but if this an issue with WM2003 then this could be a symptom!

griph
10-26-2003, 05:57 PM
[quote=jeffx]I have been experiencing the same problem lately. Hopefully to be fixed by a ROM update soon.

Hmm - spoke too soon - I have been having this problem and I think I have found the answer (seems to solve my proble) - see below:

HP iPAQ 2200 and 5500 Series owners - There is a known issue with running scheduled backups on these devices. For directions for updating your version of iPAQ Backup to correct this issue, please refer to the FAQ entry http://www.spritesoftware.com/support/pocket_backup_support.html#5j

Which says:

j. Scheduled backups do not occur at the specified time, but rather occur the next time I turn on my Pocket PC after the scheduled time. Also, my device sometimes switches itself off when I have the battery monitor enabled. Why?

This problem is caused by an incompatibility between certain versions of Pocket Backup and iPAQ Backup and the Pocket PC operating system 'Windows Mobile 2003'. We currently only have available a patch for the version of iPAQ Backup that comes in ROM for HP iPAQ devices. If you have one of these devices, you can rectify the problem by performing the following steps -

1. Disable both 'Scheduled Backup' and 'Battery Monitored Backup' in iPAQ Backup.

2. Download the updated version of the file 'SpriteWakeUpService.exe'. This file is available from our website in compressed 'zip' format here...

3. Extract 'SpriteWakeUpService.exe' from the 'zip' file. You can either use a commercially-available zip tool such as 'WinZip', or if you are using the 'Windows XP' operating system you can browse the zip file as though it were an ordinary folder.

4. Copy this file to the 'Windows' folder on your Pocket PC. You can use the 'Explore' tool in ActiveSync to acheive this. You will need to overwrite the existing file when prompted. Please note that you cannot overwrite this file using the 'File Explorer' on the Pocket PC as it has safeguards to prevent files in ROM from being overwritten in this manner.

5. You should now be able to perform Scheduled Backups and Battery Monitored backups.

A patch for other versions of Pocket Backup will be released shortly.

amir77a
10-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Guys,

I had the same problem and solve it.

I discovered that some 3rd party software caused it.

Usualy you have a piece of software that is compatible with PocketPC 2002, and NOT compatible with WM2003, altough it looks it does.

I pinpoint the problem as my alarm clock software, which caused all the problems.

Check any application you have on your machine, which 100% causes your frustrations.

griph
10-27-2003, 02:25 PM
Guys,

I had the same problem and solve it.

I discovered that some 3rd party software caused it.

Usualy you have a piece of software that is compatible with PocketPC 2002, and NOT compatible with WM2003, altough it looks it does.

I pinpoint the problem as my alarm clock software, which caused all the problems.

Check any application you have on your machine, which 100% causes your frustrations.

Looks like any software that makes a wake up call is having problems - unless modified to avoid the problem, both Alarm Call and Pocket Backup/iPaq Backup seem to have problems!

ekjl
10-28-2003, 09:23 PM
hmm, I JUST had this problem and I knew I saw someone on this forum talking about. This is actually my very first incident. And the last program I installed and uninstalled was Nyidot (or whatever) last night.

griph
10-29-2003, 08:34 AM
hmm, I JUST had this problem and I knew I saw someone on this forum talking about. This is actually my very first incident. And the last program I installed and uninstalled was Nyidot (or whatever) last night.

Have you tried uninstalling Nyidot and seeing if it is either a coincidence or really associated with it?

My problem is now completly resolved since I identified Pocketbackup as the problem and used the recommended resolution on their website.