View Full Version : Firmware Update For iPAQ 5550 Series

Ed Hansberry
10-16-2003, 01:00 PM
<a href="http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/19479.html">http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/19479.html</a><br /><br />HP has released a firmware update for the iPAQ 5550/5555 Pocket PC 2003. The download is 5.3MB so this clearly isn't a full ROM upgrade. However, it looks like some key issues have been fixed.<br /><br />• Fixes issue where it allowed to select alphanumeric characters using the softkey with the “simple 4 digit PIN” option for Password. <br />• Fixes the 12 and 24 hours option where it could not be selected in the “Prompt if device unused for” field under Password.<br />• Fixes a problem where system would lock up when disconnecting a PAN connection (bluetooth) via the Incoming Connection icon. <br />• Fixes a problem where the device needed a Normal Reset after being turned off while transferring data via SPP, for example, while connected to a Bluetooth GPS device. <br />• Fixes the proxy settings getting erased in the Bluetooth Settings. <br />• Fixes a problem when using 'Dial via Bluetooth' which would not accept spaces in the phone number.<br />• Fixes an issue where the iPAQ unit did not wake up to perform a scheduled iPAQ Backup.<br />• Improves Connectivity and Roaming ability for wireless LAN users.<br /><br />Some of these issues also exist on the 2200 series so let's hope that a firmware upgrade is forthcoming for those devices too. Nothing is mentioned about requiring a hard reset after applying this firmware update on the web page but <i><b>please</b></i> read the accompanying README file. One thing that is mentioned is you should not restore a pre-firmware backup to the iPAQ after you've applied the upgrade, which is advice I've seen for 100% of ROM updates on all devices. Yet I know someone is going to try and then complain that the restore either fails or their device is unstable... :roll:

chrisdolphin
10-16-2003, 01:27 PM
UK users might like to know that this is version specific !! I've just waited 10mins for it to upload to my iPaq and then got an error message (on the iPaq) saying just that. I'm just in the process of re-installing following a change in my iPaq's regional settings to English (US).
I'll let you know my findings.
Chris

Ed Hansberry
10-16-2003, 01:35 PM
UK users might like to know that this is version specific !! I've just waited 10mins for it to upload to my iPaq and then got an error message (on the iPaq) saying just that. I'm just in the process of re-installing following a change in my iPaq's regional settings to English (US).
I'll let you know my findings.
Chris
I don't think regional settings affect the ROM upgrade status. You should wait for localized versions. They usually trail by a few days.

EvilOne
10-16-2003, 01:38 PM
I have found that if you don't have the Regional settings set to English US you get a warning that it is language specific and that you should get the specific version and then it will not upgrade anything until you change it to that locale.

docangle
10-16-2003, 01:55 PM
I wonder if HP will release the update for the H5400 (with WM2003 Upgrade)?

EvilOne
10-16-2003, 02:02 PM
The installation was installed flawlessly on my 5555. I double checked all the version information under the Asset Viewer and it all checked out. But when my device soft resets it still says ROM version 1,00,10.. I thought it would have updated that to 1,00,17. Oh well!.

chrisdolphin
10-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Just tried changing it to English (US) and it 'looks' like its working - several resets etc but I notice the firmware version hasnt changed from the version I had. Guess I'll have to wait for the UK specific.

Some of the version numbers have changed but not all !

ChristopherTD
10-16-2003, 02:33 PM
I have a UK 5550 and I got that message about being the wrong language.

I changed the regional settings and it seemed to proceed. I don't know whether it has been successful or not though.

It did leave a 5MB file in \TEMP which I deleted manually.

So far nothing seems broken...

dochall
10-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Can I be the first to say:

What no - Fixes the intermitent alarm problems? :devilboy:

chrisdolphin
10-16-2003, 04:05 PM
I cant believe I've just done this..........I went to find the 5mb file in the temp directory to delete it and thought "Oh - I'll just re-run it to see if it works...." but had left my password and user info turned on..........now my iPaq wont go further than the start up bar with the version number bottom left !! Any ideas ??

Ed Hansberry
10-16-2003, 04:22 PM
I cant believe I've just done this..........I went to find the 5mb file in the temp directory to delete it and thought "Oh - I'll just re-run it to see if it works...." but had left my password and user info turned on..........now my iPaq wont go further than the start up bar with the version number bottom left !! Any ideas ??
Call HP. You might get around it by doing a hard reset which should clear out any startup issues the update was doing, but again, call HP. A hard reset might make matters worse.

thanos255
10-16-2003, 05:54 PM
No way in HECK!!!

There is no way I am going to install this update afterI finally got the alarms working.....
No way no how....

Well...umm.... maybe :)

Thanks
Thanos

jt3
10-16-2003, 06:10 PM
It should be noted that, unless something goes awry, this change will not require a hard-reset of your device. Thus, your information (and alarm settings) should be left intact.

I'm not saying whether you should upgrade or not. That's really up to personal preference, but if you're passing it by because you don't want to restore all your software, then you SHOULDN'T have to worry about that.

Having said that, I'd still make a good backup just in case (even though that probably won't help if something goes wrong), and I'd be sure to READ THE README DOCUMENT VERY CAREFULLY BEFOREHAND!!! As some have already found out, there are some very important things to know and check before you start this upgrade.

stevew
10-16-2003, 09:27 PM
I get an error. "ROM update file is invalid. It will be deleted." On a soft reset it still say's 1.00.13. hmmm

arebelspy
10-16-2003, 09:31 PM
The ROM number on boot doesn't change, for me it still ends in .10

But when you go to the asset viewer, the software versions of your fingerprint scanner, bluetooth, and wifi have changed to match the version #s described in the update.

-arebelspy

arebelspy
10-16-2003, 09:32 PM
It has been discovered that after applying this update, the cleartype adjuster/tuner from the control panel disappears.

-arebelspy

stevew
10-16-2003, 09:45 PM
The ROM number on boot doesn't change, for me it still ends in .10

But when you go to the asset viewer, the software versions of your fingerprint scanner, bluetooth, and wifi have changed to match the version #s described in the update.

-arebelspy

Well I guess mine is a no go. Not sure why I get that error about ROM update file invalid. Any ideas?

pdagal
10-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Yep, it's gone from my 5555 now too. :cry:

It has been discovered that after applying this update, the cleartype adjuster/tuner from the control panel disappears.

-arebelspy

EvilOne
10-16-2003, 11:55 PM

-arebelspy

Ha! I can't even find the CPL file any longer..

joe30306
10-17-2003, 12:51 AM
I had hoped this would fix the bluetooth connectivity issues with my Nokia 3650, but NO. I get disconnected after only a few minutes.

My Sony/Ericsson T68i remains connected for hours without losing connection. My service is with T-Mobile (Unlimited Internet - - not tZones).

Ojster
10-17-2003, 08:11 AM
I ran the update and it never got to the point where my TodayScreen would show up. Now I can not get my iPAQ to work. I tried softresetting and also a hard reset and it always stops at that white screen at about 40%.
Any ideas what I could do? With my previous iPAQ there was a parrot and you could go there and upload the ROM manually. Is something similar possible here?
I guess I will have to send the iPAQ to service or is there any other slution?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Peter

chrisdolphin
10-17-2003, 01:44 PM
Hard reset didnt work. HP are sending a new unit out - I've only had this one a week since another problem. HP confirmed that the version number on the boot screen wont change - just the version numbers of individual drivers - as mentioned by other users.

ctmagnus
10-25-2003, 09:15 PM
The ROM Update file is invalid. It will be deleted.

Anyone else get this?

stevew
10-26-2003, 01:50 AM

Anyone else get this?

Yep I got the same thing. Had to do a hard reset then install the ROM update then reinstall everything since you can't restore from a previous ROM update backup.

ctmagnus
10-26-2003, 03:30 AM

Anyone else get this?

Yep I got the same thing. Had to do a hard reset then install the ROM update then reinstall everything since you can't restore from a previous ROM update backup.

I figured as much and decided to wait until I have two or three days with absolutely nothing else to do before I give it a whirl. :| That should give me enough time to retweak everything the way I have it now.