View Full Version : Congratulations to the Florida Marlins!

famousdavis
10-16-2003, 05:13 AM
Say, does anyone know of any PPT subscribers who are from...South Florida???

If you do, wish them well as their Florida Marlins are headed to the World Series!!!

:D

Kati Compton
10-16-2003, 05:17 AM
I wish them well only if they're playing the Yankees. :P

Jacob
10-16-2003, 05:36 AM
I wish them well only if they're playing the Yankees. :P

I'm torn - I hate both the Yankees and the Marlins(I hated the Marlins before this series). I really don't know who to root for.

I guess I just hope the thing gets called off? :P

Tierran
10-16-2003, 05:46 AM
Hate the Fish? Why would anyone hate them? :?: :?:

GO FISH!

Kati Compton
10-16-2003, 06:48 AM
At this point, I want the Red Sox to win.

Anthony Caruana
10-16-2003, 09:06 AM
What world series? The biggest sporting event in the world at the moment is the Rugby union World Cup being played in Australia ;-)

Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi

dh
10-16-2003, 11:08 AM

GO FISH!
Believe me, if you live in the Philly area it's not difficult.

And yes, the World Cup in Australia is the biggest sporting event right now. Sadly not very newsworthy out this way.

famousdavis
10-16-2003, 12:32 PM
What world series? The biggest sporting event in the world at the moment is the Rugby union World Cup being played in Australia ;-)

Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi

Rugby. I saw an exibition of it once during a half-time show of the long-ago defunct Ft. Lauderdale Strikers soccer game. It looked like a football game without any rules to me, played my he-men who had a death wish to get their skulls knocked off their heads.

Come to think of it, I guess rugby is a lot like hockey, only without sticks and ice.

:lol:

famousdavis
10-16-2003, 12:41 PM

GO FISH!
Believe me, if you live in the Philly area it's not difficult.

And yes, the World Cup in Australia is the biggest sporting event right now. Sadly not very newsworthy out this way.

Hate The Fish!?!?

This team has so much more class than either the Sox or the Yankees. This is one of the most irrepressible teams in sporting history! They're in the World Series in spite of the fact they have one of the lowest attendance records in MLB. The problem is, of course, that in South Florida -- where the Marlins play -- everyone is from somewhere else, and when they arrive here, they remain allied with their original hometeam (most often teams from the Northeast, if we're talking about the southeast coast of South Florida).

My older brother is a Cubs fan (lives in Illinois). He is passionate about the game, and has been since he was a boy. I couldn't resist calling him after Game 6 to needle him a bit (he didn't answer the phone because he knew someone was calling to needle him -- but fortunately his wife did, so I got to jab at him anyway :mrgreen: ).

But yesterday, after the Cubs lost, I had mercy and didn't call him because I KNOW he would have been crestfallen. That's just the kind of fan that is attracted to the Marlins, you know. :lol:

Jon Westfall
10-16-2003, 02:41 PM
Ah, the Marlins. As a Cleveland fan, I sitll hold a Marlins grudge from the 97 world series... So I wanted the cubs to win in this series.

However, if the &%#* Yankees win against the sox today, I'll embrace the fish for a few days - as long as they win. Now if the sox win today - well, the fish will stay on my bad side!

Once an Indians fan, always an Indians fan (Even though we traded all our decent players and didn't break 500 this year... easy come, easy go).

Janak Parekh
10-16-2003, 03:08 PM
This team has so much more class than either the Sox or the Yankees.
Excuse me? ;) You can call the Yankees wealthy as much as you want, and Steinbrenner is as arrogant as they get, but let's not call the team classless. The group of guys under Torre are as classy as they get. Well, possibly excepting Nelson -- and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't back next season.

If the Red Sox win today (:pukeface: at the very thought), I'll hate rooting for the Marlins, but I will. Sorry Kati & co. I'm very :cry: the Cubs lost, too.

--janak

dh
10-16-2003, 03:15 PM
If the Rex Sox win, I'll be cheering for the Marlins as well, painful as it might be.

I really don't like that Grady Little guy and John Henry is even worse. I'd rather enjoy seeing the Marlins beat him.

Janak, you going to today's game by any chance? Would be great to be there, I bet tickets were next to impossible to get.

Janak Parekh
10-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Janak, you going to today's game by any chance? Would be great to be there, I bet tickets were next to impossible to get.
No. One of my students is going though -- and he finished my midterm, so no stress for him except dealing with the possibility of a Sox win. Lucky guy. ;)

In retrospect, it's probably a relief -- I'd be on the edge of my seat the whole time.

--janak

Kati Compton
10-16-2003, 07:35 PM
I'm surprised it's still edge-of-seat for Yankees fans. I'd be thinking "Ho Hum. Another World Series trip for the Yankees."

I mean, you guys are *always* there....

Yes, I'm pouting.

Janak Parekh
10-16-2003, 07:42 PM
I'm surprised it's still edge-of-seat for Yankees fans.
Well, I'd say "it never gets old", but that sounds arrogant, so while it's true, let me just say that I'm an easily stressed guy (which is also true). :)

Yes, I'm pouting.
As you well should. I would really have liked to see the Cubs make it. As I told some of my friends, if it was Cubs-Red Sox, I'd have been rooting for the Cubs all the way.

--janak

Jon Westfall
10-16-2003, 08:31 PM
Ya know, despite a rivalry between Cleveland & NY (well, between the American League & NY) I don't think I'd mind some yankees fans as much if they didn't always come across as so superior because their team is in a streak of good seasons. Baseball is baseball - and I"m glad here we haven't degraded to "Yankees are better cause i said so" arguments.

Janak Parekh
10-16-2003, 08:49 PM
Baseball is baseball - and I"m glad here we haven't degraded to "Yankees are better cause i said so" arguments.
That's because those fans are idiots. ;) How quickly they've forgot the 80s...

Now Cleveland will be an interesting team to watch in a few years. I think people "in the know" are closely watching Gerut, Broussard, et. al. very closely.

--janak

Jon Westfall
10-17-2003, 04:44 AM
Baseball is baseball - and I"m glad here we haven't degraded to "Yankees are better cause i said so" arguments.
That's because those fans are idiots. ;) How quickly they've forgot the 80s...

Now Cleveland will be an interesting team to watch in a few years. I think people "in the know" are closely watching Gerut, Broussard, et. al. very closely.

--janak

I agree. Its good to hear a level-headed Yankees Fan.

As I type this, its 5-5 in the 9th... A nice battle to end the series!

Janak Parekh
10-17-2003, 04:49 AM
I agree. Its good to hear a level-headed Yankees Fan.
Heh! I consider myself a "baseball fan" first, and a Yankees fan second. I don't really hate any team except for the Red Sox. I felt bad for the Mets this year, and I cheered Anaheim on in the WS last year. (Well, except for the part where they ass-kicked the Yankees in the ALDS...)

As I type this, its 5-5 in the 9th... A nice battle to end the series!
Even if the Yankees lose tonight in extra innings, I derive great pleasure that they managed to slap Martinez silly. :D

--janak

Jon Westfall
10-17-2003, 05:28 AM
Well, Yankees win 6 - 5, a shocking piece of information to everyone I'm sure.

Janak Parekh
10-17-2003, 05:30 AM
Well, Yankees win 6 - 5, a shocking piece of information to everyone I'm sure.
I am shocked, actually. Quite frankly, they should have lost this game. I'm sure Little is going to be questioned incessantly about leaving in Martinez that long, especially considering the dominant force that was Timlin and Embree in the bullpen.

I have a feeling, though, that the WS ratings will be a dip compared to the NLCS (and ALCS) ratings. I don't see a Yanks-Marlins series, apart from New York and Florida, as being a ratings-driver.

--janak

asok007
10-17-2003, 01:29 PM
Speaking of ratings, I saw this article http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/16/news/companies/fox_baseball/index.htm?cnn=yes this morning about how News Corp. will probably loose money on the playoffs this year even with the great ratings. Since most of the advertising for the early rounds was sold before the teams were known, apparently some advertisers got some great deals.

Janak Parekh
10-17-2003, 03:39 PM
Speaking of ratings, I saw this article http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/16/news/companies/fox_baseball/index.htm?cnn=yes this morning about how News Corp. will probably loose money on the playoffs this year even with the great ratings. Since most of the advertising for the early rounds was sold before the teams were known, apparently some advertisers got some great deals.
Yep. It looks like they'll get the big bucks next year based on this year's LCS ratings. I have to say I doubt Fox executives are complaining right now... although, as I siad, I expect WS ratings to be down, as it seems the climax has already come and gone.

--janak

famousdavis
10-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Yep. It looks like they'll get the big bucks next year based on this year's LCS ratings. I have to say I doubt Fox executives are complaining right now... although, as I siad, I expect WS ratings to be down, as it seems the climax has already come and gone.

--janak

Don't underestimate the series, Janak!

The Yankees-Marlins match-up is interesting because South Florida (home of the Marlins) is essentially another New York borough. There is going to a very loud, very strong segment of Yankees fans cheering on their team in Pro Player Stadium.

Moreover, the Yankees have a despise factor -- the rest of the country hates them -- while the Marlins are the darlings of baseball, the Cinderella team who are still playing before the stroke of midnight. I think people west of the Mississippi will take a shining to the Marlins over the Yankees.

But I do agree that the ratings match-up isn't likely to elicit the best ratings a WS has ever had. I went to a few Marlins games this year, and the attendance was pathetic -- in spite of the fact we have about 4 milllion people in this tri-county area, and a huge number of Cubans (who love baseball) living near the stadium. This will always be a football town, I guess.

Janak Parekh
10-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Moreover, the Yankees have a despise factor -- the rest of the country hates them -- while the Marlins are the darlings of baseball, the Cinderella team who are still playing before the stroke of midnight. I think people west of the Mississippi will take a shining to the Marlins over the Yankees.
I'm not sure about that. There were a lot of Cubs fans this postseason, and rooting for the Marlins might be tough. BTW, the thought of Pudge being Cinderella... 8O :lol:

In any case, Chicago and Boston will be desperately trying to avoid watching this WS. If they had made it, everyone but New York and Florida would have watched -- the intrigue of two supposedly "cursed" teams is what, I believe, propelled Fox's ratings. You'll see significant shares in NY and FL, but apart from that, I think it won't be that hot. We'll see. ;)

--janak

ntractv
10-17-2003, 05:50 PM
I love my Yankees
I live in DC so everyone tell me I should support the Orioles (blah blah)
I also am I big Dallas Cowboys fan. They could loose every game of the year as long as they beat the Redskins, I'm happy. That is my Superbowl, beating them.

Janak Parekh
10-17-2003, 05:50 PM
You're truly a geographic-independent fan. :lol:

--janak

dh
10-17-2003, 06:01 PM
I think this WS might turn out to be pretty good. Both of these teams refuse to lose so there should be some close games. The fact the Yankees don't have as many dominating players as in previous years gives Florida more of a chance.

The thing I really like is that I can't stand that slimy John Henry. He abandons South Florida to buy the Red Soxs. Look who's in the WS and who isn't :lol:

I must admit I thought last nights game was over 4 - 0 and Martinez cruising nicely. I went to bed - idiot!

famousdavis
10-17-2003, 10:22 PM
The thing I really like is that I can't stand that slimy John Henry!

Well, at least John Henry was no Wayne Huizenga, who sold-off the 1997 Marlins team after they won the WS. And at least John Henry didn't move the team outside of the South Florida market. Neither has the new owner...yet. I'm hoping that with the Marlins in the WS, they'll sell a few more season passes next year and boost their poor attendance records at their home games.

famousdavis
10-17-2003, 10:25 PM
There were a lot of Cubs fans this postseason, and rooting for the Marlins might be tough.

My two brothers, both Cubs fans (my older brother being a staunch Cubs fan, good years and bad), know how true your statement is. I spoke with my older brother after Game 6, and he said that while it'd be awfully hard to root for the Marlins, he'd be willing to do it if New York got into the WS.

I still haven't called my brother yet -- I suspect maybe this weekend I'll ring him up and see if he's dried his tears yet. :)

cooldw57
10-20-2003, 12:52 AM
I HATE RED SOX~~~~and dont ask me why 8)

Kati Compton
10-20-2003, 02:46 AM
I HATE RED SOX~~~~and dont ask me why 8)
I'll restrain my curiosity. It'll be tough, though. Okay, everybody, hold hands... We can make it through this challenge together...

famousdavis
10-26-2003, 04:35 AM
Oooooo-la-la!!!

It's time to start callin' my friends who are New York transplants!!!

:lol:

Janak Parekh
10-26-2003, 05:04 AM
It's time to start callin' my friends who are New York transplants!!!
:twak: Don't be mean. ;)

--janak

dh
10-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Must say, the Marlins deserved to win as it turned out. Great pitching last night.

I wonder what George is going to do now. His team is nothing like the Yankees of a few years ago.

Wells and Clemmons are effectivly done, the bullpen sucks, other than Rivera of course, and there is no third baseman to speak of. Giambi, the big free agent? they would have done better to wait a bit and hire Thome. He's a guy who performs when things get tough.

And what about that play at home plate? Posada had plenty of time to get that guy out.

Anyway, it looks as though we are in for an interesting NL East next year. Braves and Phillies fighting for the NL wildcard.

Janak Parekh
10-26-2003, 06:38 PM
I wonder what George is going to do now. His team is nothing like the Yankees of a few years ago.
Well, as he's slowly discovering, blind spending doesn't work.

Wells and Clemmons are effectivly done, the bullpen sucks, other than Rivera of course, and there is no third baseman to speak of. Giambi, the big free agent? they would have done better to wait a bit and hire Thome. He's a guy who performs when things get tough.
Clemens is retiring -- no problem there. I expect the team not to invite Wells back now. Weaver, Contreras, and Lieber will be taking spots in the rotation, unless Weaver isn't back either. The bullpen is actually OK, they did a commendable job in this series with the exception of Contreras in Game 5, but he was a starter pitching in 0 days rest -- they're not trained for that.

Boone is a problem -- he failed in the clutch. He is a decent hitter, though, so if he's not too expensive he'll be back. It's widely known now that Giambi is hitting poorly because of a knee that needs surgery. Expect him to roar back with a vengeance next year.

Anyway, it looks as though we are in for an interesting NL East next year. Braves and Phillies fighting for the NL wildcard.
What about the Marlins again? ;)

--janak

dh
10-26-2003, 07:03 PM
What about the Marlins again? ;)

That's what I mean. Marlins winning the division, the only hope for Braves and Phillies being the wildcard shot. :D

I hope it isn't the case, I'm a Phillies fan, but I can see it happening.

Hey, George could always hire Milwood.

Janak Parekh
10-26-2003, 07:05 PM
I hope it isn't the case, I'm a Phillies fan, but I can see it happening.
I wouldn't guarantee it. I doubt Pudge will be back next year -- he's going to command huge $$ -- and unless the Marlins are willing to spend lots more money, the team is going to lose a few key players. On the other hand, the rotation might be the next A's: Beckett, Penny, and Burnett are locked up, right? If Redman and Pavano are back next year, that'll be pretty darn solid -- and young.

One of the major wildcards is if McKeon will be back next year. He is in his mid-70s... and it's great to go out on a winning note. You knew that Cincinnati was screwed the moment they just fired him as a fall guy for the team's woes...

--janak