View Full Version : WiFi CF card to PC WiFi USB adapter - direct connect?

CTSLICK
10-16-2003, 02:43 AM
So if I have a WiFi CF card in my Axim and a WiFi usb adapter plugged into my PC can I use this combination to connect the two directly for ActiveSync, file transfer etc?

TIA

Crazie.Eddie
10-19-2003, 07:56 AM
You will need an Wi-Fi access point to connect the both of them. Just think of it as 2 network cards. A hub/switch/router is required to do so. Generally, you cannot connect 2 network cards together and have them communicate using a regular network cable. Though it is possible if you have a reversed cabled. But with Wi-Fi, you cannot reverse the data being transmited from one device to the other. Therefore a Wi-fi access point or router is required.

An access point will connect all Wi-Fi equipment plugged into it. A router will do the same, with the addition of being able for all of them to share a single internet connection. A router will only be required if you want your PCs & PPC to connect to the internet. This requires a DSL or Cable modem internet subscription.

Mark_Venture
10-19-2003, 05:31 PM
You will need an Wi-Fi access point to connect the both of them. Just think of it as 2 network cards. A hub/switch/router is required to do so. Generally, you cannot connect 2 network cards together and have them communicate using a regular network cable. Though it is possible if you have a reversed cabled. But with Wi-Fi, you cannot reverse the data being transmited from one device to the other. Therefore a Wi-fi access point or router is required....
Not exactly true...

Yes, using an Access Point for wireless is EASIER, BUT you can setup an Ad-Hoc connection between two Wi-Fi adapters. Ad-Hoc will allow the two Wi-Fi devices talk to each other without an access point. Think of Ad-Hoc as a wired Ethernet's CrossOver Cable. A CrossOver cable allows two wired ethernet cards to be connected together WITHOUT the need for a hub or switch.

After that Ad-Hoc connection is made, you can ActiveSync, share files (with add on util), etc.

Add ICS from Win2K or WinXP, and you can share your PC's internet connection with you PocketPC too.

BUT Ad-Hoc can be more difficult to get working.

CTSLICK
10-20-2003, 02:46 AM
thanks Mark_Venture...your response confirms the response I just got from Ambicom support . They also warned the configuration could be more difficult. Wonder how the range would be?

Mark_Venture
10-20-2003, 05:29 AM
Oh I forgot.. you don't really need to add Windows ICS to share internet.. You can use ActiveSync's pass through to surf with the iPAQ once it is all setup.

Wonder how the range would be? Not sure.
I wanted to use Ad-Hoc at work for activesync between my laptop and ipaq. I never got it to work :( so I gave up. Plus it looked like having to switch between Ad-Hoc and Infrastructer settings on BOTH the iPAQ and laptop when at the office vs home would have been a real pain.

Besides, I can't get Commontime's mNotes (cadenza or whatever its called now) to sync over wi-fi with my laptop even at home through my access point, even though regular activesync worked fine.

So, now I added a bluetooth usb dongle to my laptop and it works fine for everything while at the office. Just a little slower. But I can sync and surf without wires :)

theon
10-23-2003, 11:29 PM
This is what helped me connect to the internet. As to the activesync, well, after a couple of weeks and a final hard reset it just worked... Sorry...

http://www.pc-counselor.com/ad-hoc.htm

theon
10-23-2003, 11:31 PM
Wonder how the range would be?

Well, I got mine working within about 30-40 metres between 3 walls. What's 'normal' range?

CTSLICK
10-24-2003, 02:28 AM
Well, I got mine working within about 30-40 metres between 3 walls. What's 'normal' range?
No idea what normal range is thus my question :wink: Plus real world feedback is always better than manufacturer specs

I 'm curious...what kind of wireless set up are you using?

theon
10-24-2003, 06:02 AM
Well... Since I've never networked anything before, I decided to go small with a S$50 USB WiFi adapter. :wink:

I'm glad it works though, although many a time I wished I plunked the $$$ to get routers, etc. since that is what most people refer to when giving help.

Bottom line is, it works, it's cheap and I'm happy. :mrgreen: