View Full Version : Wireless at Work - BT vs WiFi

billnsandi
10-15-2003, 11:28 PM
I have an interesting situation at work. I work in several local hospitals in the Operating Rooms. We have several Wifi access points placed in various locations around the rooms, but signal strength in all the rooms is not the best. I currently connect my Ipaq 2215 via a Linksys WF11 CF Wifi card (and some beta Linksys drivers since the current release drivers do not support PPC2003). I have relatively stable connections and can surf and send email, etc. However the battery consumption is terrible with the CF card.

There are dedicated PC's in each room (running Windows 2000) that I cannot use (nursing computers). Each is relatively new and has front usb ports. So I was wondering how viable it would be to buy a USB BT adapter and just plug it in whatever room I am in for the day (using the built in BT function of the 2215 hopefully at a lower power consumption). I would prefer not to have alot of setup/install things to do with each OR desktop computer (over 30 of them). Are their any USB BT adapters that have minimal setup (kinda like how they work on Macs) so I would not have to mess with the desktops and just plug in and go?

Should I stick with the Wifi (and carry an extra battery and AC cord as I already do), and possibly install some aux. antenna's or repeaters for the Wifi access points?

Or should I pursue the BT route (and the apparent hazards of configuration)?

Thanks for any comments,

Bill

emmfan
10-15-2003, 11:51 PM
I think with BT, you would have to install activesync and actually synchronize with each desktop that you wanted to share an internet connection through, everytime you wanted to go online. So that might be a bit cumbersome. :roll:

freitasm
10-16-2003, 12:47 AM
I think with BT, you would have to install activesync and actually synchronize with each desktop that you wanted to share an internet connection through, everytime you wanted to go online. So that might be a bit cumbersome. :roll:

Not really. Only if you use ActiveSync Passthrough (which is slow). If using the Bluetooth Network Access service ActiveSync is not needed at all in any machine...

You'll have to pair and authorise the Pocket PC with each computer once, so all computers know your Pocket PC and all, even using the same dongle (MAC Address).

Thinkingmandavid
10-16-2003, 01:37 AM
In theory it sounds good. how about giving it a try and seeing how it turns out for you? 30 computers, wow that is a lot of time in itself getting your 2215 to be recognized by all of them. :roll:
but if it turns out to be that "simple", then you can have better battery life. The key in my opinion will be having it work when you need it to the most.

racerx
10-16-2003, 03:28 AM
If you use the same BT dongle, you'll have to install the drivers & pair because the software on each PC has to know about the pairing.

But knowing something about hospital PCs, I would be suprised if you would be able to install the software - they're usually locked down pretty well.

But you are right that you would save a bunch of power by using BT. It'll just be a hassle getting it to work initially.

Thinkingmandavid
10-16-2003, 04:13 AM
Hopefully he will be able to do that with the least amount of problems.
I would like to see how much better his battery life will be now.
So doyou have a plan concerning installing the bt????

billnsandi
10-16-2003, 08:26 PM
I think I will stick with the Wifi for now. The BT is tempting, but implimentation will be a chore. I may just fool around with some Pringles can antenna's for the wireless access points to get some better signal, and carry around an AC adapter for the Ipaq.

Thanks for the responses,

Bill R.

ps. unlike other hospital based systems, i can dig around and change apps and OS stuff (guess the IT dept. is not very suspicious).

Steven Cedrone
10-16-2003, 08:38 PM
I think I will stick with the Wifi for now.

I think that's a wise decision. Plus, it would be easier to add a few more access points in the long run. I would definitely go with a battery extender as opposed to the power cord though...

ps. unlike other hospital based systems, i can dig around and change apps and OS stuff (guess the IT dept. is not very suspicious).

Which hospital do you work in? I'd hate to be under the knife when a PC blue screened because some orderly decided he could add Quake to a machine and play it when the OR wasn't being used... :wink:

Steve

Crazie.Eddie
10-19-2003, 07:49 AM
Since you are not allowed to touch the PCs, then installing activesync on them is a no go. Besides, you don't need to use activesync, since you mentioned you already access the internet and email using the hospital's APs. If you're always close to the PCs and have good signal, just use a USB sync cable to attach from your Ipaq to the PC. There should be a setting to use USB charging. My Ipaq 5555 does. I use the USB cradle connected to my PC to charge my ipaq when I'm syncing and the AC adapter in my room when I'm working on it.