View Full Version : Anyone had any dealings with Sprint?

iPaqDude
10-15-2003, 03:28 AM
I love my combination Tmobile SE T68 & iPaq 2215 for it's ability to do data connections (especially with the unlimited GPRS), but have finally decided that the lack of coverage offered by Tmobile is making me switch to another carrier. If I can't get decent coverage/reception, then the ability to get connected really doesn't mean a whole lot. And Tmoble just tells me to "hang in there, it will eventually get better". Well, I have hung in there too long and am really tired of missing calls, having calls dropped, etc.

So, the next really major player in my area is Sprint, although AT&T is also a strong player. Has anyone had any dealings with Sprint with their abilility - or lack there of - to do data? And I don't mind purchasing a CF wireless card to go in my iPaq to connect with them, especially if it is SIM based.

Thanks - apprciate any and all responses.

Thinkingmandavid
10-15-2003, 03:46 AM
AT&T is going to suggest the gsm/gprs network which is the same coverage as T-MObile, so if you running away from T-Mobile, then it doesnt make sense to go with AT&T. You will get a decent connection speed with Sprint but that is only in their digital coverage area. They are using CDMS technology.

gtarent
10-15-2003, 04:56 AM
I am currently with sprint, and am considering going to Tmobile to get their data... kind of ironic eh? The problem with sprint is two fold. First, it is very difficult to physically connect the phone and Ipaq (no bluetooth, and most sprint phones do not support serial). Second is how they treat their data. They say it is unlimited data, but in the fine print they caution that unlimited data is only for use with the phone. Use of the phone as a modem could cause them to terminate your data rights. Now it is unlikely they would ever actually terminate my service with the limited amount of data I would pull, but the threat is still there. Sprint phones are not simm based. You would have the option of using their wireless card, but service is a flat $80 with no voice service.

AL904a
10-15-2003, 01:35 PM
I have used both T-Mobile and Sprint's data service. I had a Treo 180, a Merlin data card, and a T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition, and used all of them to access T-Mobile's GPRS data network.

A couple of months ago, I bought an iPAQ 5555, with the PCMIA Expansion Pack Plus, and a Sprint CF2031 data card. I use the CF2031 in both my iPAQ 5555, and my notebook computer, swapping between the two depending upon what I want to do.

I have been very pleased with Sprint's network. I really get speeds roughly double the speeds I got on the GPRS network of T-Mobile. So far, Sprint's coverage where I travel has been better than T-Mobile's as well.

Before agreeing to a contract with Sprint, I was pretty reluctant to go back to Sprint. I had used Sprint for voice, a few years ago, and had some bad experiences with coverage and customer service. Recently, I have called Sprint tech support a couple of times for help with my data service, and received good support. I think Sprint may have really fixed some of their customer-support issues.

You can read an excellent discussion of the CF2031 and Sprint coverage at http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com/forums/index.php?

PetiteFlower
10-15-2003, 06:02 PM
I like my Sprint service. I have an LG 5350 which DOES have a serial connector, so I use a cable to connect it to my Axim. No one's questioned my data usage yet.

The CF wireless cards are a little pricey, both to buy and for the service, but as I don't think the 5350 is available right now, and I don't think any of their other phones have a serial connector, that might be your only option for wireless access for your PDA. If you don't mind spending the money, I think you'll be happy with both the availability and speed of the connection.

gtarent
10-15-2003, 08:54 PM
I really don't want to leave sprint.... if they would come through with their T608 which is a SE bluetooth phone I would be so content. I know sprints network speed is superior to Tmobiles, but accessing the net only through my phone browser is painful at best.

sheureka
10-16-2003, 03:55 PM
I have an LG 5350 which DOES have a serial connector, so I use a cable to connect it to my Axim. . . . The CF wireless cards are a little pricey, both to buy and for the service, but as I don't think the 5350 is available right now, and I don't think any of their other phones have a serial connector . . .
I use the Sanyo 6400 with my Toshiba E740 and Sprint service. The Sanyo also is serial and is available, but you have to look at the business section of Sprint's website to find it. - sheureka

cbgerryMOD
10-16-2003, 10:35 PM
A few years ago I purchased a beautiful Wireless Web Enabled Samsung Handset - SCH-3500, which comes with features including its own Data Enabled channel and clicks to shut down all email messages and FAX when using Data Enabled services to log on to the Wireless Internet with either Pocket PC or Laptop. It is a SprintPCS carrier contracted handset. After purchasing an iPaq 3700 Series Pocket PC 2002 mobile computer to use with SprintPCS Data Enabled Services, the nightmare began. When inquiring of the Data Service which is on their websites, and also purchasing the Data Enabled Services Kit sold in their store and online - Customer Service claimed SprintPCS does not have Data Enabled Services. I explained to SprintPCS Customer Care it would be a heck of a lawsuit for false advertising if that were true. It took days and hours going through several Supervisors to confirm even that SprintPCS Data Enabled Services exist. It took days and hours going through several Supervisors and Wireless Web Department Personnel to even discover any additional settings by the ISP Carrier - SprintPCS - to enable access through the Hayes modem system. I was given settings that conflicted with Industry standards I directly received from Compaq Ipaq to access the SprintPCS Wireless Web. The kit includes a CD and Data Enable Cable and adaptor either for PDA Pocket PC or Laptop. As well these settings were a direct dial up to access the wireless web - not through the Data Enable channel built into the Handset by Samsung. Apparently the Handset was altered at SprintPCS request to format the direct dial up. The settings apparently were for the "Servcice Entrance" to the Handset used by diagnostics technicians access to the Handset to perform diagnostics and repair. This was their "Data Enabled Service" - a complete circumvention of original Industry standard and manufacturing - even leaving the hardware of the SCH 3500 Data channel "empty". Of course the bottom line is when I accessed the SprintPCS Wireless Web Data Enabled Service per their instruction with my iPaq 3700 - the handset was destroyed. Electronically all the lights dimmed and went out, and the battery system would no longer charge. It aimlessly 'searches' for a signal now with a flickering dimly lit backlight ! They had the nerve to charge me for the penalty cost of cancelling my One Year Contract - and after advising them a law suit was in order for dammages and false advertising !!! Recently the United States Government has cancelled their contracts with Sprint - any wonder why ?