View Full Version : Two more questions on Baseball

Prevost
10-14-2003, 09:41 PM
1. What are "pepper games"?
2. Why do some players (also in football) draw black lines under their eyes? And what substance is that?

Brad Adrian
10-14-2003, 09:46 PM
The dark lines are to reduce the reflection of sunlight off the cheekbones during outdoor games, making it easier to see balls in flight. Originally, it was done with burned cork, but now special "make-up" is used.

Mark Kenepp
10-14-2003, 10:53 PM
The dark lines are to reduce the reflection of sunlight off the cheekbones during outdoor games, making it easier to see balls in flight. Originally, it was done with burned cork, but now special "make-up" is used.

Or stick on patches :)

Pepper is used for practice where one would hit the ball with a bat against a wall. I would guess that there are other definitions of Pepper as well, like one guy with a bat and a few with gloves. The guys with the glove lob the ball to the guy with the bat and he bunts it back to one of the guys with the gloves then he throws it back to the guy with the bat who bunts it back...

Many stadiums do not allow pepper playing of the first type :wink:

dMores
10-14-2003, 10:57 PM
pepper games?

having lived in the province of quebec, the anglophones frequently called their french neighbors "peppers".

:)

but that was a couple of years ago, and i moved away, so i am not up-to-date as to whether this term is still in use, or if they finally get along, or if they have found yet another word.

Prevost
10-15-2003, 01:55 AM
Pepper is used for practice where one would hit the ball with a bat against a wall. I would guess that there are other definitions of Pepper as well, like one guy with a bat and a few with gloves. The guys with the glove lob the ball to the guy with the bat and he bunts it back to one of the guys with the gloves then he throws it back to the guy with the bat who bunts it back...

Many stadiums do not allow pepper playing of the first type :wink:
I guess so, for some fields are marked "NO PEPPER GAMES ALLOWED" on the wall behind home.