View Full Version : Transfering Legal music to a SD card

spcarso
10-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Hello,

I am buying secure music files from MusicMatch, Buymusic.com and the new Napster, but I can't seem to transfer them to my SD card on my iPAQ 2200. I have used both Windows Media Player and MusicMatch, but it says that the SD card is not SDMI-Compliant. I thought that was the whole reason it was called SECURE digital. Any thoughts?

The work around is to simply burn the songs to CD and re-rip them, but I just thought I might be doing something incorrectly.

Janak Parekh
10-14-2003, 06:31 PM
I have a feeling that these programs only like to transfer directly to devices themselves, as opposed to SD cards. Most SD cards today are "potentially" SDMI-compliant, but the standard never evolved enough to enable such protections. :(

Will it copy over if you ActiveSync the device, i.e., similar to WMP's "Copy Music to Device" option?

--janak

ROSEDOGGYDOG
10-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Any thoughts?

I use music MusicMatch also but I haven't upgrade to that version yet (8.1?)

Anyways, have you tried (musicmatch) under settings--recorder--security/D.R.M.--uncheck D.R.M.--check Allow Download to portable device?

The work around is to simply burn the songs to CD and re-rip them, but I just thought I might be doing something incorrectly.

I would burn them to cd anyways for backup, but if all else fails thats what I would do.

spcarso
10-14-2003, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the replys. I tried changing the settings in MusicMatch, but the option suggested is not available in version 8.1.

Has anyone heard of re-formatting the SD card so that it contains the SDMI compliant code... if there is such a thing.

These songs will transfer to the actuall iPAQ memory, but not onto a memory card.

ROSEDOGGYDOG
10-14-2003, 10:44 PM
These songs will transfer to the actuall iPAQ memory, but not onto a memory card.

:? I'm just tossing ideas out now,

1. have you tried the copy and paste (or drag and drop) method? Copy files in regular windows explorer, open PDA explorer thru active sync browse to SD card and paste?

2. Do you have another device that uses SD (digi camera or drive) and try copying the files there?

3. Do you have a lock on the card and forget to unlock it. As dumb as it may sound, I have fallen victim to this with my Sony Memory Sticks (life would be alot easier if every item used S.M.S.)

rpommier
10-14-2003, 10:55 PM
Why would you want all devices to use a proprietary memory format such as Memory Stick?

I would hate to be a Clie owner and tied to one company for peripherals. All you get there is a price premium because Sony is the only game in town. I've seen Lexar M.S., were those cheaper?

Rod

ROSEDOGGYDOG
10-14-2003, 11:26 PM
Why would you want all devices to use a proprietary memory format such as Memory Stick?

I've seen Lexar M.S., were those cheaper?

Rod

Sony just has me by the sack 8O ...thats all.

Everytime I buy something else that I think will get me by, I end up going back to Sony. All though I've been very happy with my 2215 until I found out hp is now coming out with the 4000 series :soapbox: for about $50 more than I paid. If sony wasn't so expensive I probably would have bought a sony, that and if they come out with a PPC.

As for Lexar M.S. they are cheaper, that's what I'm using for my sony devices (PC, Digi Cam, Digi Camcord and even thinking about the Head Unit for my truck).

I haven't been able to find a lexar SD card at any of my local stores.

Sony now has a Memory Stick that is a sleeve for a SD card 8O . I believe that is $90 for the 256mb, and yes that's next on my list :D