View Full Version : T-mobile Phone newbie question

Raistiff
10-14-2003, 03:14 AM
Just picked up my T-mobile pocker pc phone today. Noticed on odd annoyence. Manual says hold the red phone button down to turn phone on/off... mine doesnt do that. I have to tap the phone icon and select it thru there.. is this just a bug or does my pocket pc have some glitch?

Tried searching the forums on it but when you search power or power button you get a ton of responses and couldnt find an answer in those.

Thanks for any response in advance 8)

Janak Parekh
10-14-2003, 05:42 AM
You have to hold it for about 5 seconds, and then let go, wait, and the phone will eventually turn off. It's not an immediate thing as the manual implies -- it might respond in another 10 seconds after that.

As a result, I found the touchscreen interface a lot more useful. :)

--janak

Raistiff
10-14-2003, 05:59 PM
wow your not kidding about it taking a while.. thanks for your help Janak.

Now anyone have any tips to get a better battery life.. I have light off. sounds at a minimum and from having it off the cradle from 6:00am till now at noon its already at 60% was doing minimul pda use and 2 phone calls. Worried that it will last on days im out till 10pm or so. Trying to avoid the extra add-on battery to keep the bulkyness of it down.

Janak Parekh
10-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Hmm. 60% sounds low for that. I can easily get through a whole day. There are a number of possibilities:

- Make sure you have the latest ROM for your T-Mobile Pocket PC. You can get the upgrade from t-mobile.com;

- You do "turn off" the PDA part when not in use, right?

- The % bar isn't completely linear;

- The battery takes time to be conditioned -- my battery got better after a couple weeks' use;

- There's software keeping your PDA unnecessarily active;

- Or, in the worst case, the battery is defective.

--janak

Raistiff
10-14-2003, 10:23 PM
Once again Thanks for the reply Janak.

Just got home from work its 4:30 and phones at 50% now. so 10 1/2 hours.

I keep pda off when not in use, I just leave phone on.

Its currently running 3.14.40 ENG version of ROM.

Was trying to hold back on breaking out the software and what not till I was fully sure of keeping the phone. 14 day trial still hase 10 days left hehe

Janak Parekh
10-14-2003, 10:26 PM
You have the latest ROM, then, until they release the WM2003 upgrade.

It looks like either the battery needs to settle down or the meter is inaccurate -- it sounds like it's been going down more slowly. :)

Repeat your test a few more days to help you decide whether to keep it... good luck!

--janak

Raistiff
10-15-2003, 11:18 PM
Well today went alot better with the battery hehe. Going on 11 hours and at 70%, is that closer to what I should expect?

Still was unsure on whether I was gonna keep it or return it.. but the damn thing is already comming in so damn handy. Was running around to a bunch of stores the other night. Had to hit a certain store, only one I knew of was really far from where I was at... Just searcheed the store in switchboard using the town I was curently in. Turns out there was one a block away 8)

Janak Parekh
10-16-2003, 02:54 PM
Well today went alot better with the battery hehe. Going on 11 hours and at 70%, is that closer to what I should expect?
Yes.

Still was unsure on whether I was gonna keep it or return it.. but the damn thing is already comming in so damn handy. Was running around to a bunch of stores the other night. Had to hit a certain store, only one I knew of was really far from where I was at... Just searcheed the store in switchboard using the town I was curently in. Turns out there was one a block away 8)
:D That's the beauty of converged devices...

--janak

urologyhealth
10-16-2003, 04:46 PM
What is switchboard?

Thanks

Janak Parekh
10-16-2003, 07:23 PM
What is switchboard?
Yellow pages.

http://www.switchboard.com/

--janak

cyclist
10-17-2003, 01:02 PM
Now anyone have any tips to get a better battery life.. I have light off. sounds at a minimum and from having it off the cradle from 6:00am till now at noon its already at 60% was doing minimul pda use and 2 phone calls. Worried that it will last on days im out till 10pm or so. Trying to avoid the extra add-on battery to keep the bulkyness of it down.

Assuming the T-Mobile is the same as the XDA, infra-red reception is always on. Power consumption can be reduced a bit by turning it off. Go to Settings, Connections tab, Beam icon. Untick the receiving check box.