View Full Version : ActiveSync 3.7.1 Problems *sigh*

famousdavis
10-13-2003, 02:53 AM
Okay, I tried installing ActiveSync 3.7.1 tonight, and I'm getting the same issues with this latest release as I had with 3.7. Here's what's happening when I try sync'ing with AvantGo (btw, I uninstalled/reinstalled AvantGo as the installation instructions suggest for ActiveSync 3.7.1).

1) Norton Internet Security prompts me with:

WCESMgr.exe is attempting to access the Internet. What do you want to do?

2) I click "Permit" and continue with the sync process.

3) I get a sync error -- from which program, I'm not sure -- that reads:

Common Client CC Ap has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Error signature
AppName: ccapp.exe
AppVer. 1.0.8.1
ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0
Offset: 04bdc9a1

At this point, AvantGo appears in AS as "1 unresolved item." When next I try sync'ing, AvantGo can't appear to make a connection with the AvantGo server.

Mind you, my ActiveSync installation process went on smoothly enough (from AS 3.6), and I had no problems running the AvantGo communication detection service or reinstalling their client software.

Unless one of you come up with something, I may as well return back to ActiveSync 3.6.....grrrr.....

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

Talldog
10-13-2003, 01:00 PM
ccapp.exe is a Symantec app, associated with NAV and Norton Internet Security. I wouldn't start with the assumption that this is an ActiveSync problem.

ChristopherTD
10-13-2003, 01:03 PM
FWIW I had nothing but trouble with Norton Internet Security 2003, with CCAPP being responsible for all sorts of crashes and instabilty.

I reverted to NIS 2002 and all these glitches went away.

If you still have NIS2002 you might try going back to the "old" version!

famousdavis
10-13-2003, 10:46 PM
ccapp.exe is a Symantec app, associated with NAV and Norton Internet Security. I wouldn't start with the assumption that this is an ActiveSync problem.

Thanks for the info and the caution.

Since ActiveSync 3.6 works just fine for me -- most of the time, although database sync'ing and file transfers are unbearably slow, which is why I'd like to upgrade my ActiveSync software -- and since I *am* running NIS 2003, I'm going to conclude that the two programs aren't playing well together.

I can try Symantec's support website, although in the past they've been less then helpful and responsive.

Can anyone with problems with ActiveSync open up a support ticket with Microsoft Support? I've always had pretty good results with Microsoft Support. I don't know if they offer free web support services for the freely downloaded ActiveSync software....

reydiodj
10-13-2003, 11:36 PM
I've permitted access when ZoneAlarm prompts me and am able to sync properly...as for AvantGo you migh want to reinstall the latest version from their website as stated in their "Notes" section of the download page:

If you use AvantGo and have installed an upgrade (such as the AvantGo Security Upgrade for Pocket PC devices), installing ActiveSync 3.7.1 will prevent AvantGo from syncing properly. To fix this problem, please reinstall the latest version of AvantGo.

famousdavis
10-14-2003, 07:37 PM
I've permitted access when ZoneAlarm prompts me and am able to sync properly...as for AvantGo you migh want to reinstall the latest version from their website as stated in their "Notes" section of the download page:

I did reinstall AvantGo's client software. That didn't help, though.

I took the path of least resistance -- I just reverted back to ActiveSync 3.6 -- everything works well, albeit sloooowly now.

Saxmoore
10-14-2003, 10:27 PM
Famousdavis,
Did you look in the logs for NIS to see what was blocked? Once you identify what is being blocked you can add a permit to the general rule that NIS created. Try looking through the Content Blocking, Connections, Privacy and web history logs.

JustinGTP
10-15-2003, 03:17 AM
3.7 and 3.7.1 work fine for me, I have McAfee Virus Scan Proffessional and NO problems whatsoever, whensoever! (If thats a word, lol)

My dad tells me that Norton is very good, as he is in the computer industry. I guess its up to you and your norton :wink:

I dont think its activesync problems, so you had better *unsigh*

-Justin.

Thinkingmandavid
10-15-2003, 03:43 AM
HEy dude, good news! That is a word, it means "at any time whatever." I wasnt sure so went to websters online and sure enough:)
ONe thing for certain ms needs to work on is activesync. of course they need to do that about a lot of stuff:)

ctmagnus
10-15-2003, 05:45 AM
My dad tells me that Norton is very good, as he is in the computer industry. I guess its up to you and your norton :wink:

NAV :rock on dude!: !

fwiw, I have no issues whatsoever, whensoever or whomsoever with ActiveSync 3.7.1, Norton SystemWorks 2003 (with only NAV running 99% of the time) and Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.4.

Saxmoore
10-15-2003, 07:25 AM
I'm thinking that ther may have been a change in ports, or a referrer tag may be being blocked, or something else MS may have changed that doesn't match with the rule that was created for the previous version. It should just take a little investigation. Good luck!

famousdavis
10-16-2003, 05:01 AM
I'm thinking that ther may have been a change in ports, or a referrer tag may be being blocked, or something else MS may have changed that doesn't match with the rule that was created for the previous version. It should just take a little investigation. Good luck!

Well, like I mentioned earlier, I reverted back to ActiveSync 3.6 rather than spend time debugging a situation that either Microsoft and/or Symantec ought to have done before releasing their respective software releases.

Interestingly, though, my ActiveSync 3.6 began failing, too! The program would just abruptly end while looking for changes. Seems that something went bad in my Pocket IE Favorites pages -- I don't know what. I reinstalled AS and deleted all my Favorites, and I'm back on track once again.

Living with my PPC is a LOT like working with Windows 95 or 98 -- good when it works, but too unreliable to be of interest with the non-geeky tech consumer.

:cry:

famousdavis
10-16-2003, 12:47 PM

NAV :rock on dude!: !

fwiw, I have no issues whatsoever, whensoever or whomsoever with ActiveSync 3.7.1, Norton SystemWorks 2003 (with only NAV running 99% of the time) and Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.4.

I'm glad you're not experiencing any problems!

Thus far, I haven't heard from anyone who is running ActiveSync 3.7.1 along with Norton Internet Security 2003.

Anyone? Anyone?