View Full Version : iPAQ Backup error

terrypin
10-11-2003, 01:12 PM
I've been doing manual backups OK to my CF card with the standard built-in ipAQ Backup on my 2210. But today I tried doing a scheduled backup, (with PPC out of its cradle) and it failed. After powering up correctly on time, about 4 secs into the process it gave me the error message: 'Failed to connect to the host PC'.

What's happening here please?

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

WyattEarp
10-11-2003, 04:19 PM
Open iPAQ Backup and make sure the "Backup to PC" check box is "unchecked". Set a new scheduled backup time about 2 minutes from when you checked to troubleshoot and close the program and wait to see what happens.

terrypin
10-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Thanks, but don't seem to have a 'Backup to PC' setting.

Anyway, reckon I've now sorted the issue thanks. I had installed the Sprite fix some weeks ago. But what I think happened was that I subsequently trialed Pocket Backup Plus, and that over-wrote the file SpriteWakeUpService.exe in \Windows.

I've now restored the 'fixed' version of the file, and happily am able to run a scheduled backup.

However, as a side issue, I understand that this Sprite fix also contributes to fixing the WM2003 alarm bug, as well as the scheduling problem. So that prompts a follow-on question. If I installed Pocket Backup Plus, for its extra features, would I lose that bonus?

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003, PI 4.6, PIToday 0.1.0.1002

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

DareDevilNZ
10-14-2003, 02:36 AM
When a backup is scheduled, or the battery monitor enabled, a program is set to run at a power on event (e.g. when you manually turn the power on, or when an alarm occurs, or when a scheduled backup runs, or when the PPC powers on for whatever reason). This program causes the PPC to "power on" fully. The PPC fully powers on when you manually hit the switch, but it does not when the alarm time comes around (this is the PPC2003 bug).

So the upshot of this is that alarms etc. (i.e. scheduled events that are nothing to do with iPAQ Backup or Pocket Backup) will work correctly if a backup has been scheduled or the battery monitor is turned on.

terrypin
10-14-2003, 06:04 AM
Thanks DareDevilNZ, that's helpful.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK