View Full Version : Camcorder movie transfer to iPAQ

V itman2020
10-11-2003, 02:04 AM
I have a Sony TRV-30 camcorder which records in the Mini-DV format.
I would like to play some of my home videos on my HP 5500 iPAQ but do not know the best ways to transfer this to my PocketPC. What are the best cost/time efficient ways to do this? I work under Windows XP and also recently bought Pinnacle Sudio 8. Are there some specific hardware/
software solutions which work nicely? Thanks for everyones help, from a new PocketPC user!

qmrq
10-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Use virtual dub (http://www.virtualdub.com) to compress it to DivX, then Pocket MVP (http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette) to play

Tom W.M.
10-12-2003, 05:56 AM
Pull it into Pinnacle Studio (this should be easy, just consult the help system), cut out what you don't want, and export it as a 240 x 320 (that's rotated right by 90 degrees) .avi file. Use the Divx codec. You won't want to use the version available from divx.com (v 5.1) because PocketMVP won't support it (I assume). Use the 5.03 or 5.05 versions of the codec (I know it can be found somewhere, but if you can't find it PM me and I'll send you the 5.05 version).

Encode the video at 200-250 kbps. Be sure to uncheck "Psychovisual Enhancements" in the General Parameters tab, and uncheck "1 - Choose your profile" in the Profiles tab.

If Pinnacle Studio can't rotate the video, then simply export your edited video as an uncompressed 320 x 240 .avi file, and rotate and compress it with VirtualDub.

jeffmd
10-12-2003, 08:19 AM
studio 7 wont rotate.

do a google search on huffy codec and download the huffy lossless codec. Now depending on what format your original files are in, if they are mjpeg, simply use the huffy codec to load the mjpeg files into vdub directly, and recompress to divx from there (5.1 should work, didnt see anyone complaining about it. make sure all extra stuff is OFF, no phychovisual, no bi-directional, no gmc, no quad). If its in mpeg2, you will need to use the pinnicle software to recompress the video, use the huffy codec and compress to a 320x240 resolution (unless your video is NOT 640x480, if its not, you will need to divide each resolution by 4 to find your final resolution so you will remove one of the 2 fields of each frame, deinterlace will not be needed then). huffy is a lossless mjpeg codec, pretty fast, no quality loss, but takes up quite a bit more hard drive space. Then just open the huffy version of the movie in vdub and recompress to divx (here you will rotate and resize to 240x320).