View Full Version : I can't get email to work

Badandy
10-11-2003, 01:47 AM
OK, so i have this email address with MyRealBox which seems to be great. I can't seem to get it to work in Outlook. I got all of the settings, and it cant send the test email message. It finds all of the servers, but it cant send the test email message. I fiddle with all the authentication and SSL settings for all possible combonations, and it still doesnt work.

I think I just need an SMTP server. So, does someone know of or have a secure SMTP server that I could use?

If you dont, I need a FREE email address with POP 3 compatibility that will work perfectly with my PPC. Please help. Tell me of a service please

thanks

Badandy
10-11-2003, 01:50 AM
wow. nevermind. i just got it to work

i booted up my computer, and clicked test and inchecked SPA (secure pass. auth. ) and it worked. I spent 2 hours on this the other day.

Badandy
10-11-2003, 01:59 AM
Ohhh. I have a question. Everything works fine, but when I tell my ppc (2215) to connect, it says server certificate is invalid, continue anyway? I select yes, and it works fine. Is there any way to get rid of that?

qmrq
10-11-2003, 11:17 AM
No.

Janak Parekh
10-11-2003, 06:01 PM
No.
Are you sure that there's no way to import a SSL CA certificate in Pocket PC 2003? I don't know how, but I'd imagine there's a way to manipulate the OS's database..

--janak

Dave Beauvais
10-11-2003, 09:48 PM
Are you sure that there's no way to import a SSL CA certificate in Pocket PC 2003? ...
I know there's a new "Certificates" applet in Settings with WM2003, but I haven't figured out how it works yet. There is no "Add" button. When I go to visit some friends who work at the university I went to, I need a certificate to authenticate to the WLAN on campus. Installing this is a trivial thing on a desktop PC, but on the Pocket PC I can't figure it out. (And I'm never there long enough to really play around with it, which is usually how I learn things.) It's really quite annoying.

Edit: On this page (http://www.cewindows.net/commentary/wm2003secure.htm), under the "Web Security" section, Chris De Herrera says you can install a cert by copying it with File Explorer and tapping on it. He doesn't say where you copy it from, however.

--Dave

Dave Beauvais
10-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Okay, I looked around a little to see if I could figure this out. What if you go to Internet Settings on your PC, go to the Content tab, and click the Certificates button... If you can get the cert to install on your PC, you may be able to export it from there by simply dragging the certificate from the Certificates window to your Pocket PC's My Documents folder. Once on your Pocket PC, install the cert by tapping on it in your file explorer or choice. I don't really have any certs to play around with, so I can't tell you whether or not this works, though.

--Dave

Janak Parekh
10-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Right -- or, if you have a URL to a certificate, you might be able to "download and execute" it. The desktop version of IE supports this mechanism inherently.

--janak