View Full Version : Help with RadioShack DigiTraveler GPS!

cslaughtermd
10-08-2003, 03:11 AM
Well, after all the discussion since I'm a cheapskate and couldn't pass up the $30 for a clearance GPS unit, I went to a RadioShack who was out of them and they called 5 more and found one (luckily pretty much on my way home!)
So. . . I install the software and hook up my iPAQ 3850 with the included cable and my Inbox opens again and again! I can't close it while the GPS unit is installed. Under preferences I can only pick COM3 or COM4 for connecting to the unit - no other options.
I went to Delorme.com who makes the XMap Street Alas USA for a patch or info on the problem - they have an update for all of the XMaps EXCEPT the RadioShack version (I tried anyway and it wouldn't install, detecting the RS version). The description of the update mentions including a complete selection of COM ports, among other things.
I did the Delorme-recommended uninstall/reinstall using msconfig to do a selective startup which gave me the same results AND caused my WinXP to have to be Re-freakin-activated! :frusty: This is a huge PIA since now I have to call Microsoft in the next 3 days and wait on hold forever to read them the 8-million digit reg code and type in their new 8-million digit activation code!
I've already ordered the iNavigator software since this seems to be the best bang for the buck software-wise but I'm worried that this is a problem with my iPAQ and not the software. Has anyone had similar problems or any thoughts? Please?
TIA,

Qman
10-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Goto Start, Settings, Connections, Beam and disable "Receive all incoming
beams". that should release Com1. As far as the map software goes I use Mapopolis 2.0 for Pocket PC (Maps) http://www.mapopolis.com/index.html, so I'm unable to assist with that.

HTH

cslaughtermd
10-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Thanks,
I'll give it a shot when I get home. Will changing the Beam pref change the automatic response to plugging into the serial port?

Qman
10-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Thanks,
I'll give it a shot when I get home. Will changing the Beam pref change the automatic response to plugging into the serial port?

You're welcome, not sure about if changing the Beam pref. has anything to do with the automatic response of serial port but I do know that the more you use the unit the faster it connects to the satellites. 8)

Sven Johannsen
10-08-2003, 07:38 PM
Sorry about your trouble with XP. surprised that it didn't just re-activate over the net. Mine has when re-installing to the same machine.

Anyway. Without hooking up the RS receiver, open the software and see if you can select Comm 1. If not, then something has it. Typically it is a keyboard driver. If you don't have a keyboard, check in the settings and programs anyway, I think the driver is stock for several PPCs. Disable it.

Some systems seem to like the program open and looking for a GPS just prior to plugging in a serial unit, BTW.

RS does have an update on their site for the Digitraveler Software. http://www.radioshack.com/ProdSupport/DocumentDetail/DocumentDetailIndex.asp?P=&D=soft&T=htm
Look for it near the top. It helps, but the version is still not up to the latest Delorme XMap, or their new Street Atlas Handheld. Unfortunately RS and DeLorme had an annulment shortly after their partnership on this and DeLorme refuses to have anything to do with the RS software and RS is dumping the whole thing. It is just an NMEA receiver providing data at 4800 Bps, so it works with the majority of other software, including Mapopolis, in case that interests you.

Scott R
10-09-2003, 06:41 PM
cslaughtermd, congratulations on your DigiTraveler. I just got one of these last week. At $30 it's a great deal. However, I would suggest that you not look at it as a $30 total solution, but as $30 for the hardware plus additionall $$$ for the software. What I'm getting at is that while it may be tempting to use the XMap software that comes with it since it's free, you may find yourself ready to drive off a cliff with it.

I strongly recommend you download the Mapopolis trial. I think it only works for about 9 days. I couldn't stand the XMap software. Not only did I find it horrible from a usability standpoint, but the tracking was extremely slow. Mapopolis, OTOH, is a joy in comparison. Good usability, fast routing, and fast rerouting. There are other great packages available as well, all of which will set you back a good $70-120. I'm not sure if any of the other packages offer trial downloads, which is why I tried Mapopolis.

Scott

cslaughtermd
10-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Sven - thanks for the tip! I got the Digitraveler to work by unchecking the hotdock and enable keyboard boxes on my Stowaway - didn't realize that it totally takes over the port. The interesting clue was that when I plugged in the Digitraveler, the Inbox would open and keep cycling - the signal must have mimicked the key-press on the stowaway to open Inbox!

Scott - thanks, I was going on your good recommendation and I really had to RUN to get one - I went to a Radio Shack and they had to call 5 or 6 stores to find one in stock, luckily it was on my way home. I've played with XMap a little and I don't really like it but I've ordered iGuidance which should be in tomorrow - from what I've read, Mapopolis and iGuidance are neck and neck for best GPS software!

As far as XP goes - I accidentally put 2 different speeds of memory in my PC a while back and didn't pick up on it for a while, thinking that I had a virus causing IE to close occasionally but I ended up changing the system around a bit, looking for the cause, got a new soundcard, minor updates here and there AND of course I had to reactivate XP a few times during this process then suddenly it wouldn't let me. Since then ANY SYSTEM CHANGE requires me to actually call the XP activation center and reactivate! Ridiculous! I understand the anti-piracy thing, but C'mon, it's my computer and I want to be able to put another freakin' stick of memory in my computer without being on hold for 30 minutes and read off a 50 digit number! I bought it. Really! :soapbox: Sorry. . . there's a longer story involving the crappy on-line computer store where I got my PC in the first place, but I'll spare you.

Anyway - hopefully I'll be trying the new software out this weekend when I drive to PA to pick up my new Honda Element (sweet) then go visit the folks!

Scott R
10-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Clint, glad to hear things are working. The problem described sounded familiar to me and when you mentioned what the cause was, I immediately remembered that I had read about others encountering that very keyboard conflict. Too bad I didn't remember it all at the time or I could have saved you some grief.

As far as Mapopolis goes, I wanted to try something out before committing $100 on a package, just to make sure that the whole GPS thing (and the DigiTraveler in particular) really worked. I'm happy to report that it does and it's very cool. Whether I'll stick with Mapopolis or get an app like the one you mentioned, I'm not sure. My Mapopolis trial will run out next week so I'll have to decide soon.

BTW, I had so much fun with it that I went back to the store and bought another one for my wife. Interestingly enough, my old iPaq 3630's reflective screen (which I always hated once the dust started to creep in) has turned out to be an advantage for this sort of functionality, as readability in sunlight is supposed to be better on the reflective screens compared to the newer transflective screens that everyone's using. If/when I get a new PPC, I may dedicate my iPaq 3630 strictly to GPS usage.

Scott