View Full Version : World Series Predictions?

Janak Parekh
10-08-2003, 01:37 AM
So, as I'm watching the Cubs mash the Marlins in the bottom of the 1st inning in Game 1 of the NLCS, I can't help but wonder if this might actually be the year of the Cubs-Red Sox World Series. Apart from the fact that a lot of baseball fans think the world will end if that actually happens, I'm a Yankees fan, so I'm strongly hoping the Red Sox don't make it. (The baseball purist in me would be curious to see it happen, but I keep him locked in a box. ;))

What do you think will happen? I'm reserving judgment, but I do say that if it's a Cubs-Red Sox WS, I'm rooting for the Cubs all the way. :lol: Well, in fact, if it's the Red Sox period, I'm rooting for the NL team.

Your thoughts/opinions/predictions?

--janak

P.S. I saw the recap of the A's-Red Sox series, and quite frankly, the A's handed the series to the Red Sox on a silver platter. :evil: I'll credit the Red Sox bullpen for a stellar job, but if any of those four or five bizarre errors (be it the Byrnes not tagging home, Tejada actually bothering to run, Dye and Guillen getting tagged out stretching in game 5, people not trying at a 1-2 pitch in the bottom of the ninth in game 5, etc.) hadn't happened, the Red Sox wouldn't be there. Which scares me -- maybe there's a higher authority looking over the Red Sox. 8O Here's (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fsfortheas&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns) a fantastic article on the subject.

Janak Parekh
10-08-2003, 02:10 AM
Hah! I spoke too soon. This is gonna be interesting. :)

--janak

dh
10-08-2003, 02:27 AM
I'd like to see a Cubs/Yanks WS, with Chicago winning.

I got sick of those Marlins beating up our Phillies this summer and I don't like that Grady Little geezer at the Red Sox.

Come to think of it, FLA are hard to beat and the Yankees are not as good as previous years. Hmmm......

Janak Parekh
10-08-2003, 03:08 AM
I'd like to see a Cubs/Yanks WS, with Chicago winning.
Hey! ;)

Come to think of it, FLA are hard to beat and the Yankees are not as good as previous years. Hmmm......
FWIW, I think the Yanks this year are better than the ones last year...

--janak

Jacob
10-08-2003, 03:54 AM
I want to see Cubs Vs. Red Sox.

Two teams fighting to end a HUGE drought of championships...

Kati Compton
10-08-2003, 03:55 AM
Ugh... Tie, Cubs up in the 8th, Man on 1st & 3rd, 2 outs... <covering eyes>

Janak Parekh
10-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Ugh... Tie, Cubs up in the 8th, Man on 1st & 3rd, 2 outs... <covering eyes>
Cover your eyes harder... and don't remove your hands... it's not getting better... :|

--janak

dh
10-08-2003, 04:19 AM
I really hate those Marlins!

Janak Parekh
10-08-2003, 04:22 AM
I really hate those Marlins!
Hold on there... Sammy homers with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th... game is tied. Chicago is screaming with one voice. 8O

--janak

dh
10-08-2003, 04:24 AM
Ooooops, I gave up too soon!

Just watched the replay. It's great when the ball goes out in the street. Like the old Sammy!

Janak Parekh
10-08-2003, 04:25 AM
Ooooops, I gave up too soon!
So did I. I called Sammy out on three pitches. Talk about being dramatic.... it's headed for extra innings now.

--janak

Kati Compton
10-08-2003, 02:06 PM
Argh.

ux4484
10-08-2003, 02:24 PM
I knew I shouldn't have watched.....I cursed them.....
It was a good fight though!

oh well, game 2 tonight.....

I too would love to see a Cubs/Red Sox World series, my baseball (actually my sports) interest has been waning (if not outright killed) more every year since the last strike ('94 The White Sox were hot and I had free-reign access to a buds season tickets with/parking pass :cry:) . We do like to go to our local (Frontier league) semi-pro team The Cheetahs (http://www.gocheetahs.com/) games though.

A Chicago-Boston Series is the kind of thing I'd need to really get me started again.

The "No more waiting for next year" series :D

Stik
10-11-2003, 12:25 AM
PRO PLAYER STADIUM
Home of the Florida Marlins

Pro Player Stadium was originally sponsored by Fruit of the Loom, and it's current name is derived by a line of their ' sports apparel. '

Are the fish pantywaists? :oops:

Stadium Cost - $115 Million.

The New York Yankees 2003 payroll shelled out by George Steinbrenner...

$160 Million, the highest in baseball. :shocked!:

The Chicago Cubs and Boston Red Sox in the World Series?

Priceless!! :way to go:

dh
10-11-2003, 03:12 AM
The Chicago Cubs and Boston Red Sox in the World Series?
Priceless!!
I'd rather the Yankees be there than Boston. I can't stand that Grady Little guy. I just want to smack him in his smug mouth everytime I see him on TV. :bangin:

Agree with the Cubs though. Chicago - New York would be fine for me, with the NL winning!!

(Trouble is, I think it will be Red Sox - Marlins. Roll on next year)

We do like to go to our local (Frontier league) semi-pro team The Cheetahs (http://www.gocheetahs.com/) games though.

We go to Phillies games, but my daughter was saying just today that she prefers the minor league Camden Riversharks games. They have a great new ballpark, have lots of entertainment for kinds and everything is priced just right. And when you yell abuse at the umpires (they are blind there as well) they actually hear you.

Janak Parekh
10-11-2003, 03:18 AM
Agree with the Cubs though. Chicago - New York would be fine for me, with the NL winning!!
:twak: ;)

We go to Phillies games, but my daughter was saying just today that she prefers the minor league Camden Riversharks games.
The Brooklyn Cyclones (http://www.brooklyncyclones.net/) are also on the upswing here.

--janak

Prevost
10-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Yankees vs Cubs...

1. Mariano Rivera is panamanian :mrgreen:
2. Would like to see Samy facing Mariano ( :mrgreen: again)

No, in fact, I would like seeing Samy having a shot on the champions' ring. It's a sad thing so many good players never reached it, not just baseball, but all sports. Remember Rod Carew and Dan Marino, to say something.

orangehat
10-13-2003, 01:21 AM
Actually... anybody but the Yankees.

ux4484
10-14-2003, 01:31 AM
got my fingers crossed for daCubs to bring it home on Tuesday :clap: AT HOME.....glad it's my night off!

Janak Parekh
10-14-2003, 01:42 AM
got my fingers crossed for daCubs to bring it home on Tuesday :clap: AT HOME.....glad it's my night off!
You know Wrigley's gonna be rockin'. :D And the entire neighborhood...

Will the Cubs set an attendance record this year? I certainly hope so...

--janak

ux4484
10-15-2003, 04:30 AM
ok....so much for tonight :oops: .......got 'em crossed again for game 7 0X

Janak Parekh
10-15-2003, 04:39 AM
ok....so much for tonight :oops:
As I told my friends, that fan is in serious trouble. I can't imagine him even facing his family at home! 8O

Good luck to the Cubs tomorrow. Let's just hope it's not 1986 all over again...

--janak

Jacob
10-15-2003, 04:58 AM
I think a lot of the people who are condeming that fan would probably have done the exact same thing in that situation.

The next play where the shortstop fumbled a routine ground ball... ugh! Now that was shameful.

Janak Parekh
10-15-2003, 05:00 AM
I think a lot of the people who are condeming that fan would probably have done the exact same thing in that situation.
Not necessarily. Jeter made a fantastic catch in the 2001 playoffs in Yankee Stadium, in the stands, because the fans there know to make lots of room -- this is the playoffs, after all.

The next play where the shortstop fumbled a routine ground ball... ugh! Now that was shameful.
Yes. They signed Alex Gonzalez specifically for his consistent fielding.

--janak

Kati Compton
10-16-2003, 05:17 AM
I am very very sad. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Steven Cedrone
10-16-2003, 02:46 PM

I was just at WWdN and he had a great post about "That Guy"...

Read about it here... (http://wilwheaton.net/) (Warning: some objectionable language used!!!)

Steve

ux4484
10-16-2003, 02:54 PM
*sigh*

Janak Parekh
10-16-2003, 03:05 PM
I am very very sad. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I know all Cubs fans are in pain right now. Can't offer you much more than a :grouphug:

--janak

Jacob
10-16-2003, 03:36 PM
I was just at WWdN and he had a great post about "That Guy"...

Read about it here... (http://wilwheaton.net/) (Warning: some objectionable language used!!!)

Steve

It frankly amazes me how many people read Wil Wheaton's site 8O :lol:

I feel for that guy. I also think the Chicago media acted incredibly irresponsibly when they published his work place, full name and home address for everyone to see. I don't see how that information made the story better - it just made a map to locate him for all the dumba**es to harrass him.

I do think he probably should have let Alou catch the ball, but if that affected the cubs play then that just shows that the cubs weren't the professionals they should be.

EDIT: I liked his letter to Alex Gonzalez too...