View Full Version : Ok, just set up a wireless network in my house. How do I . . .

dhodory
10-07-2003, 02:26 PM
Use my Compaq iPAQ on this thing -- specifically to access the internet? I am using a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Access Point and 4 port Router. I just got the Linksys WCF12 Wireless Compact Flash Card. My iPAQ is an older model 3600 series I think?

I have DSL at home. The DSL modem plugs into the Linksys router. The router is set up with my DSL username and password. There is some client software on my primary PC (EnterNet 300 and SBC Connection Manager) that sets up an configures my DSL connection.

I have several questions:
1) where would I find drivers for the C/F wireless card for an older iPAQ -- the Linksys website says the included drivers are for Windows C.E. 3.0?
2) once I've installed the proper drivers, do I need to install any other applications on the PPC to get to the internet?
3) how do I configure the PPC to "see" the internet?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

TopDog
10-07-2003, 02:40 PM
1) where would I find drivers for the C/F wireless card for an older iPAQ -- the Linksys website says the included drivers are for Windows C.E. 3.0?Your iPAQ is CE 3.0

2) once I've installed the proper drivers, do I need to install any other applications on the PPC to get to the internet?Nope :-)

3) how do I configure the PPC to "see" the internet?If your Linksys router runs DHCP and you've not activated crypo or MAC-control, it should be plug and play.

...mind you, I've never used Linksys-products, so there may be some spesial settings on the PPC-driver I don't know about, but in that case, probably someone else here knows ;-)

dhodory
10-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Top Dog. Thanks for the quick reply. :D Gonna' give it a try this evening.

IF -- big if, gotta check my router settings -- what happens if I did enable MAC? I know I didn't enable WEP, but think I remember something about MAC??

TopDog
10-07-2003, 04:18 PM
Then you will have to authorize the NIC in your router.

doogald
10-07-2003, 04:59 PM
3) how do I configure the PPC to "see" the internet?

You should go into Start|Settings. Go to the "Connections" page, look at the bottom entry - "My network card connects to:" - and change it to "The Internet" if it is set to "Work". You need it to be set to "Work" to activesync over WiFi but, unless you have a proxy server on your network, you cannot connect to the Internet over your Work connection.

dhodory
10-08-2003, 12:10 AM
Got it set up and running. Am posting this reply from my couch on my iPAQ. Cooooooool! PockectPCs ruuuuuule.

kluangdreamz
10-10-2003, 07:04 AM
Hello, I am a polytechnic student, now i need to use pocketpc to online.
I have a PocketPc ipaq 3630 with socket low power WLAN card and laptop(WinXP) with DLink 650+ WLAN card. Now my laptop connects Internet, Can i use ad-hoc to connect PPC and laptop and use PPC online via the laptop?

Thank you. :D

TopDog
10-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Can i use ad-hoc to connect PPC and laptop and use PPC online via the laptop?
Yes :-)

I don't remember exactly how, but if you search the forums for Ad-hoc I know it's been discussed a couple of times before...

Sooner Al
10-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Text deleted

theon
10-23-2003, 11:44 PM
Here's a step-by-step that might help.

http://www.pc-counselor.com/ad-hoc.htm

Laura Rooke
10-24-2003, 03:04 PM
can you not find these on the Compaq website ??
go to handhelds, and then software and drivers.[/b]