View Full Version : Seeking Cell phone in Seattle area with Bluetooth net access

Trimble
10-03-2003, 05:40 PM
Ok, I just moved into the seattle area, and already my fiance is nagging me to go get us some cell phones. I've been trying to slow her down until I can figure out what carriers in the area offer (or will offer) solutions that will allow me to use my Bluetooth enabled ipaq 5450 to connect to the net. So far, I haven't have the time to track down each carrier, so I thought I'd just ask here.

Does anyone know of a carrier in the Seattle area that does now or will in the future offer service that I can use with a bluetooth enabled phone to allow my ipaq to get on the web?

It would be idea if the service itself offers the phone, but I would be willing to aquire the phone myself, so long as the contract that I end up getting stuck in would support it in the future...

Thanks in advance!

Carlos
10-03-2003, 05:51 PM
T-Mobile is GSM based, so you can use any of the Bluetooth-equipped GSM phones. I used to use a T68 on T-Mobile with a Pocket PC, with good results. They have a $20/mo unlimited data plan.

They also have the integrated PPC Phone Edition, which is what I use now, and greatly prefer over the two-device solution.

Crazie.Eddie
10-19-2003, 08:12 AM
What I think your looking for is access to BT access points, which I don't think anyone is doing. Most companies (starbucks, mcdonalds, etc.) use Wi-Fi for internet connection. Most people use BT to connect personal devices together, such as a BT enabled PDA to dial numbers on a BT enabled fone, and talking on a BT headset.

What Carlos suggested is perfect if you get a BT enabled mobile phone. Your cellphone would act as the modem. If you needed to connect to the internet from your PDA, it would dialup using your phone (wireless connection using BT).

Mark_Venture
10-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Does anyone know of a carrier in the Seattle area that does now or will in the future offer service that I can use with a bluetooth enabled phone to allow my ipaq to get on the web?

It would be idea if the service itself offers the phone, but I would be willing to aquire the phone myself, so long as the contract that I end up getting stuck in would support it in the future...
for good Cell phone and provider support, info, questions, tips... visit http://www.howardforums.com