View Full Version : Installing PPC 2003 software WIRELESSLY

SteveP
10-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Hi All

I just set up my 5550 to sync with my desktop PC using Bluetooth - nice!

Can anyone tell me how I install software (from the PC) to the iPAQ wirelessly

- seems daft to have to put it in the cradle to do that :wink:

Thanks

stevemw
10-03-2003, 05:12 PM
Not possible unless you copy the cab file to the <ipaq my documents> directory on the host machine and then sync wirelessly. Of course then you'd have to find the cab file and click on it to complete the install. Without some type of installer cab utility to guide the install any software installed this way will be installed to main memory.

SteveP
10-03-2003, 05:27 PM
Thanks Steve...

Sven Johannsen
10-03-2003, 08:10 PM
If ActiveSync is connected, you just install as if it was in the cradle. Run the executable on the desktop, Add/Remove manager pops up giving you the where to install option, etc. I've done this BT and WiFi connected.

If you are setup to disconnect AS after syncing though, it won't work that way.

dammitjim
10-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Yes, you are right, for Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, you need to set your pocketPC to keep the connection after sync.

Sven Johannsen
10-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Incidentally, installs are faster via BT and faster still WiFi. The typical process is that the installation cab is copied to your PPC and then automatically launched on the PPC, installing the app. That copy can take some time with a large app and is faster via wireless.

Jerry Raia
10-04-2003, 04:14 AM
Everything on my iPAQ was installed via Bluetooth/ActiveSync

SteveP
10-04-2003, 06:04 AM
Thanks All..

Incidentally, how do I config the iPAQ to 'stay connected' after syncing?

rpommier
10-05-2003, 02:57 AM
When you guys activesync via bluetooth, how do you initiate a sync? The only way I've found to sync once I'm connected is to hit the sync button on my PC. If I try the sync button on PPC it doesn't work... Thanks

Roderick

Sven Johannsen
10-05-2003, 06:38 AM
Depends on the hardware. My 2215 with integrated BT has a BT Wizard that allows you to establish things you want to do. One of them is Sync. Slecting that walks you through some configuration and results in an icon in a BT Manager Screen that say ActiveSync with MyComputer. Tapping that starts a sync.

My Axim with Socket BT CF card, after setup has a menu option when you click the BT icon on the Today page menu bar that says BlueTooth ActiveSync.

In either case though I initiate from the PPC. Sounds like you are establishing a serial connection first, as if you hooked up a serial cable. Even with a physical cable in that case you would have to start from the PC.

On WM2003, Tools/Options/PC Tab/Options button..there is a Maintain connection radio button for syncing remotely. I think there is such an option on AS too, but I had a drive crash today and haven't got everything back on the new one.

Sooner Al
10-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Text deleted

SteveP
10-06-2003, 05:33 AM
Hi

I had a look on WM2003. It's slightly different and just gives the option to 'disconnect when done' when CRADLED. There doesn't appear to be an option to disconnect when connecting over WIRELESS.

Hhhhmmmm