View Full Version : question about pocket pc vs palm

griegomas
10-03-2003, 04:56 PM
what doe it mean when people say palm cant multi task? does it mean i cant like surf the web and be logged on to aim at the same time on it? or what? and can pocket pc do what i just described? im trying to decide between going palm os or pocket pc and i would be using it for typing papers and surfing the web, and it would be nice to have aim up at the same time. also, is it possible to listen to mp3s on a palm while i do other stuff? thanks 0X

PetiteFlower
10-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Now, I've never used a Palm. But from what I understand, no multi-tasking means only one program can be running at a time. So no, you couldn't have AIM up and be writing a paper at the same time.

eustts
10-03-2003, 05:36 PM
You can only use one program at a time on Palm.

Jason Dunn
10-03-2003, 05:46 PM
If you want true multitasking like you have on your desktop computer, you want a Pocket PC. :way to go:

drop
10-03-2003, 05:55 PM
The inability to multitask was what turned me away from Palm once I discovered Pocket PC. I don't care how fast Palm OS can open an application. Having the option not to close it to begin with is better.

Imagine: You are three pages into an app. And you just want to check to see when your next meeting is going to be. You have to exit out of the app then open your PIM (You probably have a button for quicker access). Then exit out of your PIM, open the app again then find your page. Somehow this annoys me :evil: .

griegomas
10-03-2003, 06:14 PM
man that is really too bad, i was hoping to get a pda with a nice high res screen, guess il just wait a bit. will there be a pocket pc with like a 320x480 screen any time soon?

easylife
10-03-2003, 06:17 PM
man that is really too bad, i was hoping to get a pda with a nice high res screen, guess il just wait a bit. will there be a pocket pc with like a 320x480 screen any time soon?
Probably not, but the rumored upcoming Toshiba e805 will have a 640x480 display. The only constraints are the software and graphics chip which will force it into 320x240. :|

drac
10-04-2003, 12:00 PM
Imagine: You are three pages into an app. And you just want to check to see when your next meeting is going to be. You have to exit out of the app then open your PIM (You probably have a button for quicker access). Then exit out of your PIM, open the app again then find your page. Somehow this annoys me
As an avid e-book reader, I frequently find myself in that position.

- "ClockPop" for PalmOS 3.x-4.x allows me to see my next appointment by holding down the calendar key for a second; releasing the key drops me back to the e-book app without skipping a beat. No, I don't lose my page, and no the e-book app is never really closed.

- even if I decide to switch to my calendaring app, when I switch back, I haven't lost my page.

There are certainly valid reasons to want multitasking, but a quick peek at one's schedule isn't one of them.

JustinGTP
10-04-2003, 08:20 PM
But on my 2215 I use iTASK as my ALT + TAB Equivalent on my desktop.

I have Windows Media Player open, MSN Messenger open, My Pictures open, and Internet Explorer open, with a Bluetooth connected to a folder on my PC. With palm, you just cannot do that. I switch between all of those things really easily with iTASK. I love pocket pcs! :D :way to go:

Pocket PC :pukeface2: Palm

-Justin :D

drac
10-04-2003, 08:39 PM
:wink:

Janak Parekh
10-04-2003, 10:32 PM
- even if I decide to switch to my calendaring app, when I switch back, I haven't lost my page.
Right -- most PalmOS applications "save state", so for simple switching situations the PalmOS will suffice.

What you can't do is to start downloading your email, for example, and read an ebook at the same time. That's something I like to do frequently and that I can't do with Palm devices as they currently stand.

--janak

drac
10-04-2003, 11:35 PM
Yeah- which is why I noted that there are definitely valid reasons for wanting multitasking.

Background email checking and IM functionality are but two.