View Full Version : File permissions on PocketPC?

Dooling37
10-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Hello All:

I would like to know if there is a way to prevent other users of my Axim from seeing most or all of my files. As far as I know, there is no way to have separate user logins -- PocketPC OS is not this advanced. However, is there a way that I could make all of my files (including e-mails, Outlook Calendar appts., Tasks, Notes, Word docs, etc.) hidden, and then view the hidden files only when I am using the PDA?

The reason that I ask is b/c I store a lot of "personal" info. on my Axim. Whenever someone sees it for the first time, they invariably want to play with it. I am concerned / embarrassed about them seeing some of the things I've written.
There must be some resolution to this! (other than a "No" reply when they ask to see it ; ) )

I've checked through the links to share/freeware and find mainly encryption apps, which is overkill and too cumbersome for what I am looking for....

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

DimensionZero
10-04-2003, 12:36 AM
Hmm. Maybe you could store your files on a memory card and just pop it out when someone asks to see it?

As for email... Maybe moving the personal stuff into another folder? email always opens up into the inbox by default rite? so a user won't see anything embarrasing there..

But as for tasks, calendar items etc... sorry. Not sure how you'd hide those.

Hopefully one of the PPC Gurus here will have some better ideas.

easylife
10-04-2003, 12:46 AM
I know this would probably be overkill, but you could use SPB Kiosk (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/kioskengine/index.html) to lock down users to only a few apps you may wish for them to demo. That way, if you lock out File Explorer and your PIM apps, there is no danger of them seeing or changing your personal information. You might want to load a game or something on there to allow along with Reader, WMP, and IE. :D

Paula
10-04-2003, 02:54 AM
Hello All:

I would like to know if there is a way to prevent other users of my Axim from seeing most or all of my files. etc...

The reason that I ask is b/c I store a lot of "personal" info. on my Axim. Whenever someone sees it for the first time, they invariably want to play with it. I am concerned / embarrassed about them seeing some of the things I've written.
There must be some resolution to this! (other than a "No" reply when they ask to see it ; ) )

Dooling37,
I know whenever I ask someone if I can look at their PPC, I never open files or anything that may be personal. I also let the person know before hand that I do not intend to snoop. I would hope most people would respect your privacy and only flip to screens and not open files.

Having said that, how about setting up a folder with junk files in them. This way you can direct the person to these files and request that they only play around in your "sandbox".

Cheers
Paula

Dooling37
10-08-2003, 03:21 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts. I have been trying a free trial of Resco Explorer, as suggested elsewhere, that has been nice so far. Not sure if I'll buy it yet, though.

In the meantime, I'll check out SPB Kiosk -- that looks intriguing.

Thanks again!