View Full Version : My 5450 STILL WON'T charge

Trimble
10-02-2003, 12:04 AM
I'm getting VERY VERY sick of this problem, and have been wondering if other 5450 users are still having this same problem, or if perhaps I've missed a patch somewhere...

My unit will refuse to charge now and then when I put it into either the cradle or directly on the wall plug w/ dongle. In order to get it to charge, I can open settings, power, standby, then move the slider over to one side, then back to the other, tap OK, then pop the battery out, put it back in,and press the power button. Then it will charge. the amber charging light will come on and flash and everything. Sometimes, I have to do this proceedure two or three times to get it to behave.

This is happening ALOT. as in USUALLY. This thing is usually in a state of refusing to charge unless I go through that proceedure. it seems that once I get it primed to charge that it will stay that way for some time, usually a day or so, but then it will start to refuse again after a restart (and my sprite backup resets it during the middle of the night).

I know that others have had similar problems with their 5450s not charging reliably when plugged in, and I was wondering of a solution has been found.

Still running 2002 1.11.19 ENG. ordered 2003 upgrade, don't have it yet.

Dave Beauvais
10-02-2003, 02:42 AM
I had charging-related problems constantly following the v1.11.19 ROM update, but since installing the WM2003 upgrade, charging has worked flawlessly. I think you'll be pleased once the upgrade is installed.

--Dave

ChristopherTD
10-02-2003, 09:56 AM
This happened to me every now and then. Another thing to try is unplugging the AC adaptor from the wall, and plugging it in again.

I haven't had WM2003 installed long enough to know if that fixes it, but it does seem more stable on the 5450. A worthwhile upgrade.

PoweriPaq
10-02-2003, 05:30 PM
This is not related to your 5450, but my 3870 does that too. I have to leave the device turned on or else it won't charge.

Andrew
10-08-2003, 08:52 AM
I used to have the same problem too sometimes, though a soft reset was enough to resolve it for me.
As the others said though since upgrading to ppc 2003 it seems to be fine.

Incidently do you have USB charging on or off? This sometimes can cause problems similar to what youre saying, at least from what Ive seen in other threads on other boards. Try toggling it on/off and see what works best for you.

Andrew