View Full Version : Getting Internet Through Bluetooth To iPAQ

JustinGTP
09-30-2003, 10:58 PM
Hello All!

Last night I bough a Belkin 100 meter Bluetooth USB Dongle for my pc that is connected to the internet through a network. How can I get internet on my PDA through bluetooth. I cannot find the answer and Ive looked everywhere.

When I go onto bluetooth on my 2215 and click on "Connect to the Internet" and then the bullet point "Connect via a LAN access point or a computer permanently wired to a LAN" I hit this one because the latter is true. And then I pick the device "Justin's PC" (Which I named my PC) and then hit next it comes up with an error message "Service discovery was unsuccesful" - "The requested service is not running on this device. Please make sure the service is enabled on the device or select another one to continue"

I cannot seem to find anything to set up internet connection on my PC!

Please help if you can,

THANKS!

-Justin :|

freitasm
09-30-2003, 11:10 PM
Visit Geekzone and have a look in our Bluetooth Guides... You haven't seen all yet 8)

JustinGTP
09-30-2003, 11:31 PM
I know freitas,

I have just set it up via your guide just know and I am posting this from my living room, when my pc is downstairs. I was VERY impressed with you intuitive guide! Very Very well done job sir!!

Thankyou so much...

I am so excited, whoppee!!!

And I have class 1, 328 ft. baby!!

Can you say MSN messenger while watching tv in our home theatre room, browsing the internet, syncing to my desktop!?!?

:D:D:D:D:

-Justin.

freitasm
09-30-2003, 11:40 PM
Well done!

Usually we only get the feedbacks like "It's not wortking"... Yes, I check TV listings from upstairs instead of going to my computer to see what's next later. And I have ICQ and MSN always on (well latelly I have Messenger on my Sony Ericsson P800 too, but the Bluetooth range on this is half of the range on my iPAQ - the preferred device!).

I also check e-mails, during the ad breaks, and read some RSS feeds too. All very handy :wink:

JustinGTP
10-01-2003, 12:24 AM
my only problem now is that the BT keeps on cutting off evey 5- mins! Do you know how to fix this?

-Justin (from PDA After reconnecting to BT AGAIN!)

freitasm
10-01-2003, 01:50 AM
Things to check:

Press Window key + Break, change to the Hardware tab and click "Device Manager". Find all USB entries and check if there's configuration for Power. If there's a box "Allos system to power down this device" make sure it's not checked.

Is the dongle connected to a USB HUB? No, no. Move to a USB port.

JustinGTP
10-01-2003, 02:17 AM
Im running Windows XP Professional and there is no option for "Allowing System to Draw Power Down This Device"

Any other ideas, I also think that the BT cannot handle to much information swapping. It seems to "overload" when I am on internet and MSN messenger

-Justin.

freitasm
10-01-2003, 03:02 AM
It's probably something related to power somewhere - bandwidth is controlled, it'll not overload...

Steven Cedrone
10-01-2003, 04:26 AM
Any other ideas, I also think that the BT cannot handle to much information swapping. It seems to "overload" when I am on internet and MSN messenger

Just something that comes to mind...

On the PC, go to network connections, Bluetooth network properties, on the authentication tab, uncheck "enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network"...

See if that helps...

Steve

JustinGTP
10-01-2003, 05:52 AM
So what did I just do by doing that. I just unclicked it and I will see what happens.

Do you mind explaining what that means:?: :oops:

Thanks, Im new to bluetooth and I love to learn :D

-Justin.

Charaka
10-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Well, I dont quit undestand how to configure the Windows XP side. Can some1 help me with this? Thanks a lot.

I really cannot connect to the net using my PDA (iPAQ h2210) running Windows Pocket PC 2003. I am using this cheap Bluetooth dongle called ST LAB USB-BT.

I checked the geekzone and I cant figur out the PC side configuration.

Please help

Thanks

freitasm
10-10-2003, 01:24 PM
On Windows XP you'll have to create a bridge, and share IP addresses. Look this thread for more information: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=8&TopicId=597

Dave H
11-01-2003, 10:49 AM
does anyone know what distance the 3907 bluetooth runs over? i have a belkin 100m usb dongle and the signal strength is always low unless the 3970 is right next to it ??!!?? :(
Thanks

freitasm
11-01-2003, 11:15 AM
The range for the H3970 is 10m, although it should be around 15m max. I use it connected to a computer located downstairs and work fine.

Do you have a microwave oven, cordless phone or wi-fi access point close to your Bluetooth dongle, or other points on your place where you want to use the Pocket PC?

Dave H
11-01-2003, 11:38 AM
theres a dect phone not far away, and a microwave down stairs. Basically unless the ipaq is next to the dongle, the signal is in the too weak area, I have connected down stairs but its a little unstable.

Also, the connection seems slow considering its connect via usb and a 1mb internet connection or is that just the ipaq?

freitasm
11-01-2003, 11:40 PM
Are you connected to the internet using Activesync or Internet Connection Sharing?

It shouldn't be that bad. When I connect with my laptop to a desktop over Bluetooth I can even play video streams off the Internet. The Pocket PC has limitations in speed, though, when compared with a laptop.

Dave H
11-02-2003, 01:32 PM
the Ipaq is connected via active sync. I havent tried the internet sharing option yet. Maybe ill try that.

freitasm
11-02-2003, 08:17 PM
You should. It can work on the first attempt, if your current network does not conflict and if you follow the instructions without overlooking anything.

You'll notice how faster it's...