View Full Version : A PDA Phone With Too Many Hangups?

Janak Parekh
09-29-2003, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/22369.html' target='_blank'>http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/22369.html</a><br /><br /></div>This article gives an informal review of the Hitachi G1000 PDA phone, and it's clear that the author really dislikes the device. I agree the device has its flaws, but I'm not sure some of his criticism at Microsoft is properly directed.<br /><br />"The real problem with the keyboard, though, is that it's integrated only in a physical sense. The Pocket PC software wasn't designed for use with a keyboard and doesn't support it well. A newer version of the Microsoft software, Pocket PC 2003, does offer this support, but devices with keyboards using the 2003 software won't appear until late this year...In fairness, most of this isn't Hitachi's fault. Microsoft has been a notorious control freak, giving Pocket PC licensees very little flexibility to customize the software. For example, the G1000 weirdly maintains an on-screen keyboard (mercifully, it mostly stays hidden) because the Pocket PC specification requires it."<br /><br />First of all, he's confusing two issues: the hardware form factor and software customizability. <br /><br />Hardwarewise, there <i>are</i> Pocket PC devices <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11570">coming out</a> with more innovative form factors, and Microsoft has <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15499">specifically said</a> that they've loosened the hardware form factor requirements they once had. I'm still looking for that OEM that can include a thumbboard but hide it intelligently, a la the Sharp Zaurus with its sliding cover mechanism. Personally, I think Hitachi could have done a better job with the G1000's package -- it's too large to be pocketable. It's premature to blame Microsoft on this note, apart from the 240x320 design which requires a long display.<br /><br />Softwarewise, I <i>had</i> used my Stowaway pretty well with my old iPAQ years ago. Granted, it's not completely possible to replace screen taps with keys, but the Think Outside guys had put some effort into taking care of the basics. And what about the on-screen keyboard? To the best of my knowledge, one is still built into the ROM of all PalmOS devices. I do admit that Palm does certainly allow more customizability of the OS, but this is a double-edged sword, as Ed's <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=167065">Saturday post</a> refers to. Still, there's no reason Hitachi couldn't have added software, such as a custom dialer application, to make their thumbboard more useable, <i>and</i> better keyboard support in the OS would be a good thing.<br /><br />Without question, the Pocket PC Phone solution has to continue to evolve and improve. But to say it doesn't combine phone and data functions well, and blaming Microsoft for this, is a bit presumptive. I use one every day and I find it to be an excellent tool.

dreampages
09-29-2003, 10:49 PM
The person who wrote the article is so palm-biased it shows.

Personally I love my G1000. I use it mostly for email and checking websites. I've never had a problem with the keyboard. Actually the keyboard is why I went to it.

I used to use the iPAQ with my Merlin card. Got tired of pecking the dang letters on the soft keyboard. I answer alot of email away from the office. I switched for the iPAQ to the Treo 300 (don't shoot yet) just for the thumb keyboard.

Now I'm happily back to a Pocket PC with a built-in keyboard. Back to the MP3's, back to a faster processor, back to everything I love about the Pocket PC.

Larry

mike6024
09-29-2003, 11:14 PM
That author is a tool:

"A few examples suffice to show the difficulties. When you enter contact information, neither the return key nor the "down" button moves you to the next data field. You have to tap the field with a stylus."

Well, the SIP keyboard doesn't do those things either.

"The device isn't smart enough to realize that the phone-number field requires a numerical entry and automatically activate the number keys.

If the software lets you type in letters into a supposed number only field, why should the hardware limit you?

urologyhealth
09-29-2003, 11:29 PM
I've been using the SX56 Siemens on ATT for 6 months now and find the dialing of phone numbers by tapping on the contact great and now ATT has Voice Dial by dialing *121 and using the speakerphone is essentially handsfree. So I think the combination is excellent for me. I can't comment on the Hitachi, but I think the combination of PPC2002 and Phone is a great start. I think it's an evolutionary thing.

mccollin
09-30-2003, 01:34 PM
This article is just incorrect... the guy didn't do his homework. He says that you can't lock the number mode which you can by hitting "shift/num". He says that the keyboard won't let you select a suggested word, which is true, but what is preventing you from tapping on the screen with your finger... that's what I do. With a WriteShield in place, you don't notice any smudges. There are other points in the story that are incorrect... sloppy jouralism.

dreampages
09-30-2003, 03:04 PM
From what I've heard is the author is a long time Palm user. This is probably the first Pocket PC he's used.

Larry

krisbrown
09-30-2003, 04:39 PM
Sorry , but I have to agree with every word, Microsoft are hopeless in these areas.
People say 'it's because it's his first Pocket PC device'

Well yes, that's very true, users not brought up on Microsofts very peculiar approach to 'user' friendly interfaces, can't believe how bad they are.
Their anger is fuelled by disbelief that such a huge company can be so inept.