View Full Version : How can I synch only specific files

It's me
09-28-2003, 10:15 AM
I'm working off site for about 2 months on someone else's laptop. I still want to synch some of my documents between the laptop and my PPC but I don't want to synch everything. Is there a way to just synch one or two specific files from the My Documents folder?

stevenmh
09-28-2003, 08:51 PM
If there is one, I haven't found it. I just upgraded to a 2215 from an E-115, and I was appalled to find that the current version of Activesync is identical to what I installed 3.5 years ago. That's an extremely long time to go without a substantial update. Whatever changed between 3.1 and 3.7 certainly wasn't feature-wise.

Anyway, I downloaded MightySync with the hopes of being able to sync a few specific files. Didn't work out. MightySync lets you sync files that reside outside the My Pocket PC Documents directory, but if I'm remembering correctly, you have to have File Sync enabled for MightySync to work. Which means AS creates the My Pocket PC Documents folder on your desktop and automatically adds every single file in your My Documents folder on the Pocket PC.

When will MS realize I don't need to sync my Nevo config files with my desktop? Does anyone at MS even use a Pocket PC?

Andrew
10-08-2003, 09:10 AM
With activesync open, and making sure that you have the files option visible, do the following

Click on the files icon in the sync window twice. This will open a new window
In this window youll see a list of all the files youre currently syncing, plus two buttons, add and remove. Simply remove the ones you dont want to sync and add those you do.
Using the add button, Im able to sync files from different locations on my hard disk and not only from the ipaq folder.

Hope this is what you were looking for

Regards

Andrew

stevenmh
10-08-2003, 01:47 PM
With activesync open, and making sure that you have the files option visible, do the following

Click on the files icon in the sync window twice. This will open a new window
In this window youll see a list of all the files youre currently syncing, plus two buttons, add and remove. Simply remove the ones you dont want to sync and add those you do.
Using the add button, Im able to sync files from different locations on my hard disk and not only from the ipaq folder.

Hope this is what you were looking for

Regards

Andrew

I may be wrong, but I think I've tried that (both years ago with my E-115 and recently with my h2215) and it didn't work.

Using the add button, you can indeed select files that aren't in your My Pocket PC Documents folder, but when you add them, it moves them there. This particular problem you can get around using MightySync, if you have the file sync feature enabled. It will sync the files from their original locations and not move them.

Using the remove button doesn't remove it from your sync list, it just removes it, period. At least that's been my experience. I choose the sync option, it puts a My Pocket PC Documents folder on my desktop, and all the files in the My Documents folder on the device show up there. Even non-syncable files, for instance .jpg files for today screen themes. If I choose one of those files and hit remove, it just deletes it from both the My Pocket PC Documents folder on the desktop and the My Documents folder on the PPC.

I learned that the hard way with my E-115, when I first tried file sync. I removed all the files I didn't want to sync, and imagine my dismay when I next went to view them and they weren't there at all. I'm pretty sure I tested this with a dummy file when I first got my h2215 a month ago, and it did the same thing, so I wrote off file syncing as a feature and have since pretended that it doesn't exist.

I guess I could be doing something wrong, but there really aren't that many options to screw up, and it's done it with two different devices and two version of AS.