View Full Version : Why is PPC better than Palm?

bazza
09-28-2003, 02:39 AM
If you have seriously used both PPC and Palm there is no comparison - PPC simply is better. Although Palm is moving closer to PPC in terms of creating multi-media devices they are still essentially diaries with glorified "add-ons". Palm users argue that they are simpler (and faster) but so what? At any time only one application is running - and the interface is no comparison. Initially the processors and RAM in PPC really were not adequate to cope with the Windows CE O/S - making them awfully slow, however, the new PPCs with x-scale and 68/128 RAM seem to have compensated. I still think the Sony Clie screen is better than the IPAQ and I did swap across to Palm for a while (Hardware/Software/Accessories) and learnt an expensive lesson. I now only use PPC and will continue to do so!!!!

Do you agree ?? Given the advances in both Palm and PPC which do you think is better and why?
:werenotworthy:

shawnc
09-28-2003, 02:54 AM
I think PPC is more versatile but Palm more reliable. PPC teases you with the myriad possibilities it CAN do, but is rarely able to do those things very well without additional expenditures or a high level of technical expertise by the user. If you make those expenditures, and are at the high-end of the technical spectrum, PPC is the better choice.

Palm seems to do what MOST people need in a PDA and do them in a much more reliable manner. While this is due in no small part to active sync, that is not the only reason. Palm may require additional expenditures, but they seem to be much more reasonable than the PPC.

I'll probably keep my Axim for another year. But if I were making the purchase today, I would likely go back to Palm.

dean_shan
09-28-2003, 05:19 AM
PPC all the way. I am never going to palm again.

BarryB
09-28-2003, 06:11 AM
I agree with ShawnC.

My wife uses a Handspring Edge. She is quite happy with the monochrome display and 8 mb of memory. She uses only a fraction of its capabilities, but is most happy that her Edge just works.

I'm more tolerant of fault, but Activesync drives me to madness. I think that were it not for that, I would convert to PPC full time.

I don't need or use most of the capabilities that the PPC offers. I understand that there are those who do. More power to them. But I like the PPC because it has the potential to do those things if I wanted to. Call it geek pride: "My gadget can do more than yours."

TopDog
09-28-2003, 01:38 PM
Palm and PPC cannot be compared as they are today, because they operate on two different levels.

I've been a PPC user since PPC came out 4 years ago, and love it, but are seriousely considering changing to a Tungsten W or Treo 600, why:

1. I'm a tech-freak, but have lost a little bit the interest in struggeling with constant resets and bad batterytime.
2. Don't use the PPC that much anymore, and don't see multitasking as that important anymore.
3. Want a PDA and phone in one device, but are not interested in paying for a small fortune for the XDA...
4. I've started using Linux more and more at home, no way of communicating the PPC with Linux.

maximus
09-29-2003, 02:03 AM
I've been a PPC user since PPC came out 4 years ago, and love it, but are seriousely considering changing to a Tungsten W or Treo 600, why:

Are those two really that reliable ? The guy next to my cubicle has a tungsten W, and I often heard him complaining about his tungsten W.

TopDog
09-29-2003, 09:21 AM
Are those two really that reliable ? The guy next to my cubicle has a tungsten W, and I often heard him complaining about his tungsten W.I don't know... I borrowed the Tungsten W for a week for a review and it worked perfectly all week, not one reset.

I think I'm willing to buy one and see... maybe right over new years if I get a bonus at work ;-)

Stephen Beesley
09-29-2003, 10:07 AM
For me multi-tasking really is a big issue. I routinely have three or four apps running at the same time. For example I might be copying stuff from a draft done in Pocket Word to a final doc in Textmaker while running MSM messenger or Media Player in the background.

Another thing that has alway kept me away from the Palm is Grafitti. Although Transcriber sometimes drives me nuts I still prefer actual HWR to the pretend HWR of Grafitti (this is the same issues that keeps me away from the Sharp Zaraus for the moment). Of course with the new input options available in Palm this might become less of an issue. Who know what Palm OS 6.0 will bring, but I think I will be staying with the PPC.

rzanology
09-29-2003, 01:05 PM
multi tasking....need i say more?

Jolard
09-30-2003, 05:46 PM
Well considering how I use my Pocket PC, there is no way I could go to Palm.

- Multitasking. I teach a class every Sunday at church. I flip back and forth from Word (with notes) to MobiPocket (with lesson manual) to scriptures app. Never could do that with Palm.

- Multimedia. While Palm is getting better, I still have far more multimedia options with the PPC. I can play more music formats, and use more video codecs.

- Reading: While I can read on a Palm, I can also read in EVERY format on a PPC. Plus the ability to rotate my screen to landscape makes a huge difference for me when reading.

- Games. Palm does have them, but PPC has far better ones. Age of Empires, Sim City 2000 anyone? I am not so much into puzzle games, I like them a little more complex.

As for the rest? I do use the calendar and email features, note taking stuff like that, which the Palm could do fine. But that is really only a small part of what I use it for, and not where the fun, enjoyment and real possibilities lie.

dean_shan
10-01-2003, 12:44 AM
Here here Jolard!

Thinkingmandavid
10-01-2003, 04:07 AM
I have used a palm and I dont ever want to go back to a palm. I feel they are limited in what they can offer you. But that is how I feel about it. IN my personal opinion a ppc is useful for me because of the multi tasking. I actually would need it for several things at once. I have never liked the limited amount of screen space on palms, and that for sure goes on the new one that I am looking at right now being advertised by crappy sprint! ;) I wish that microsoft would just take a big leap forwared ahead of palm and enough with games. Just take the lead and keep it from palm.