View Full Version : Every morning, Activesync has unresolved items

BarryB
09-27-2003, 05:10 AM
I've got my new HP 2215. I install Activesync at home and then at work, saying I want to sync both computers. I install Outlook 2002 on both computers.

Every morning when I stick my iPaq in the cradle, I get unresolved items in the 3 big ones: calendar, tasks, and contacts. This happened at work and at home. Both computers are running Win 98SE.

Now, if I repair Outlook using the disc that came with the iPaq, things sync just great. I suspect that something is happening when the computers shut down that corrupts Outlook. I can't imagine any other reason why repairing Outlook should work until the next shutdown.

Any suggestions? Is there some little checkbox that I'm not checking that could prevent that? Repairing Outlook only takes a few minutes, but it's still annoying.

I'll not be able to check any suggestions until Monday morning, unfortunately.

DrtyBlvd
09-27-2003, 10:08 AM
Barry -

Why are you 'repairing' Outlook?

Does clicking on the 'Unresolved Items' text not bring up the items and offer you the problem and option for solution?

Seems puzzling that if it's a 'priority' type error, or a 'different' contact listing for a meeting request that repairing outlook solves the problem?

BarryB
09-28-2003, 06:04 AM
Clicking on unresolved items tells me to disconnect and reconnect the PPC. I've done it to no avail. It happens even with no new entries to calendar/tasks/to-do.

DrtyBlvd
09-28-2003, 10:48 AM
Have you tried (Backups in place of course!) deleting and recreating the partnerships?

Alternatively - 'top of head ideas';

Have you any auto backup software working that might be doing something to your pst file?

Delete all calendar entries on one pc and select 'Merge' data to get a clean reverse install

Set up a new cal. file renaming old and try syncing to that rather than the default - see what happens?

Clean install everything at home and see if it still happens - might be a 'from work' problem?

That's all I can suggest I'm afraid!

Other than the usual 'fumbling around in the dark looking for the light switch of success' which is what usually solves my problems - ! (Eventually!!)

BarryB
09-30-2003, 01:01 PM
Thank you for the suggestions.

Changing the names of the .pst files didn't help.

But in checking wcesmgr.log, I found some neat little error messages. A procedure named CoCreateInstance didn't work. No Microsoft Outlook synchronization services could be created.

I don't know much about how ActiveSync works, but just from the name, I'd suggest that CoCreateInstance starts up some of the Outlook services without starting all of Outlook.

Possibly related to this is a warning that I receive after it goes through the process of syncing (unsuccessfully) the calendar, notes, tasks, etc. The Mobile Application Link is not installed on the desktop. I don't know what the Mobile Application Link is or whether it is important.

ERROR: CoCreateInstance( clsid, NULL, CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER, IID_IUnknown, (LPVOID *)&m_pStoreObj ) returned 0x80040154, file: d:\medusa3.7\private\apps\conn\repl\wcesmgr\.\cesync.cpp, line 2280
ERROR: Failed to create Microsoft Outlook synchronization services, error: 0x80040154
ERROR returned in function CStoreInfo::CreateInstance. hr: 0x80040154
Remote object: 'Mobile Application Link', SSPId: 0x00002710 [0 items]

(*snipped reports of appointments, contacts, tasks *)

WARNING: Object type 'Mobile Application Link' is not installed

So it looks to me as though Activesync were failing in producing a child process, possibly because something that's supposed to be on the computer isn't. Oddly, repairing Outlook seems to restore whatever it is because I can sync again. Shutting down trashes whatever it is so I can't sync.

Go figure.

DrtyBlvd
09-30-2003, 03:56 PM
Barry -

Strange indeed - I recall having a MAL.exe a while ago - when I was using a Casio E125 - but I don't anymore, having just done a search for it - but as I have upgraded to a 55.... having said that, it is relative to Avant Go - which I have still, so I'm puzzled that I don't appear to have mal.exe anymore...

This link might provide some info - http://www.thinplanet.com/trends/mobile-application-link.asp#g01

PoweriPaq
09-30-2003, 04:53 PM
Try right click on the item that's not resolving and go down to the menu to resolve items.

Example: Right click on Contacts, it should open up a menu and click on resolve items. Then it asked what to do, to either replace --> or <-- or Skip. Hope it works.

DrtyBlvd
09-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Following on from the above - and just so that I can be clear on what exactly is happening, can you clarify what the synchronisation problems are?

- How many items in each field (IE Contacts/Cal etc) do you get?
- Have you deleted and recreatd the partnership with the pda? Or, have you hard reset the pda? (Amounting to the same thing)
- Does it offer you the option to resolve without disconecting/reconecting? Ever?
- Have you concentrated on seeing if you can get it to sync with only one pc? (rather than adding possible confusion to events!)

I'm scratching my head here in puzzlement - as, I'm sure, you are!

You mention that changing the cal folder names hasn't changed anything - and also with the mention of the mobile app. link, I'm wondering if you actually have any form of connection going on at all between the pda and your respective pcs! (Barring the obvious that it tells you it ain't working!!)

I really think you should go back to the beginning and do the hard reset, clean uninstall AS from the desktop, and start afresh - if it is an issue with a missing file, mayhaps this will recreate it and solve the problem... at the very least you might get it working with one pc and then you could take it from there?

BarryB
10-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Barry -
This link might provide some info - http://www.thinplanet.com/trends/mobile-application-link.asp#g01

Hmm. AvantGo doesn't sync when I plug the 2215 in the cradle. In fact, it doesn't even show up in the ActiveSync window on my PC as it used to when I had my old PPC. It looks as though the lack of the Mobile Application Link is the reason it's not syncing automatically. Well, that solves one mystery.

I'll try the other suggestions that have been submitted tomorrow when I have more time.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Andrew
10-08-2003, 09:00 AM
One thing I may suggest based on what you wrote, and if you havent tried it yourself already is to reinstall activesync.
After uninstalling I recommend you run a reg cleaner to get rid of the registry entries and manually delete the folders if theyre still there then reinstall.
On all of my computers whenever I had problems similar to yours, activesync always ended up being the culprit.

Hope you manage to solve your problem.

Regards

Andrew

DrtyBlvd
10-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Hey Barry :D - What news :?:

DrtyBlvd
10-18-2003, 02:18 AM
C'mon - you've had a week - tell us all! Good news? :D