View Full Version : ms reader can no longer access the book

dave3
09-26-2003, 06:59 PM
well thats strange cos I never even accessed it once.
both versions of reader are activated.

I have now wasted more time and money on more glitches

I wasted time signing my life away to micro crap and its .crap account.

now I wasted time and mony buying a e-crook and have nothing to show for it but wasted time and frustrations.

words cant express what I want to do to my ppc because of it.

Any help resolving this pos before I go insane would be greatly appreciated.

GadgetDave
09-26-2003, 07:08 PM
Make sure you have the new reader version - 2.2.2 - on the PPC. In reader, go to settings, then click "go to" then "about ms reader" - if that choice isn't there, you need to go download the install and activate that version - if you have an older PPC with Reader in ROM, you'll need to install this one.

I know, that error message sucks! (Took me a while to find...)

ChristopherTD
09-26-2003, 08:00 PM
This is not an activation problem. It seems to be some sort of problem with WM2003 and Storage Cards. I only saw this message after I upgraded my 5450 to WM2003, and only then if the machine powered down when Reader was open reading a title on the SD card.

I think the SD card is slow to respond when the machine starts up and Reader thinks the title is unavailable.

To get around it I load the book I am reading into main memory and I haven't seen the message again.

bljarv
09-26-2003, 08:17 PM
I was receiving the same error on my device. I had installed the new version of reader to my SD card and found that it only started working after I browsed to the reader executable on my SD card and launch it from there. I received your same error every time I tried to use the normal shortcut icon. I ended up placing a shortcut in the "Start Menu" folder under \Windows\ and voila...works perfect.

That "upgraded" version of reader chews up almost a full meg of precious memory all by itself. I was pleased when I discovered I could run it from my storage card.

dave3
09-27-2003, 02:50 AM
the only problem is that I have version 2.21 installed directly on main memory. It still gives the same stupid error message.

ale_ers
09-30-2003, 10:18 PM
I have had the same problem. It is pretty anoying...il happens to me after reading for a long time. This problem combined with B&N discontinuing e book has caused me to switch to Palm Reader

sixsixty
09-30-2003, 10:34 PM
this happens to me when i have an ebook on my CF card. and only when i power down my ppc whith reader still running. when i power it back on and try to read my ebook, i can get about 2 pages, then i get that message. if i restart reader, it's just fine. also if i just turn off reader before i turn off my ppc, then restart it when im ready to read again, it's just fine.

i love ebooks, i'm super addicted to them right now. =]

it's just nice not having to carry a book around with me. also if i only have a spare few minutes, i could easily read a few ebook pages then close it and read it again later. page, click, page, click. back to work.

davidspalding
10-01-2003, 04:35 AM
It's really kinda sad that MS continues to assert that Reader is some kind of leading edge eBook reader. My eye! No such problems with storage cards occur with my fav, Mobipocket, or others like PDM and uBook, so far's I've heard.

Reader continues to show itself to be a, in Neil Young's words, "a piece of c**p."

PetiteFlower
10-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Honestly, I have had problems with Palm Reader when I tried to store the books on a storage card. But I still like it better, and it only takes up a few hundred K of storage space instead of more then 2 megs.

Talyn
10-02-2003, 06:49 AM
Strange, I stick my Palm ebooks on both SD and CF cards with no issues whatsoever. I am using the latest version of PalmReader though, if that matters?